PDA

View Full Version : It's official Chebby out after 2006

Chiphead_Dave
11-08-04, 04:29 PM
See.

http://sports.yahoo.com/irl/news?slug=indyracingftr&prov=st&type=lgns

Edit Sorry 2005.

I got so excited about them losing an engine sponsor that I couldn't type.

nrc
11-08-04, 04:44 PM
Shouldn't that be after 2005?

nrc
11-08-04, 04:46 PM
Wow. When a Kool Aide vender like Bruce Martin starts singing this tune you know things are bad.

racer2c
11-08-04, 05:05 PM
Quite a few 'deja vu' quotes in that read.

Notice the title, 'IRL loses Chevrolet; Toyota concerned'. Toyota is thinking, "here's our 'out', now's our chance."

Chiphead_Dave
11-08-04, 05:22 PM
I love it.

"Chevrolet made a valiant effort in 2003 when it was successful in getting the IRL to adopt the Gen IV engine built by Cosworth after the Gen III engine was nothing more than a high-speed boat anchor."

jcollins28
11-08-04, 06:11 PM
How is this for a smackdown! Can you say OWNED!!!

"When we entered the series, we spent two years discussing engine rules, distribution rules, buying, leasing and we signed up for the same program as Chevrolet," White said. "Our level of support is approaching that of what it was in CART. I would say our enthusiasm doesn't match that what it was in CART but the cost is and that is a huge worry for the company."

sundaydriver2
11-08-04, 06:41 PM
The IRL has become motorsports version of "Onion Gum."

I'm laughing so hard it hurts. :laugh:

indyfan31
11-08-04, 06:50 PM
I would say our enthusiasm doesn't match that what it was in CART but the cost is ...

I'm still shocked he said this to a reporter!

indyfan31
11-08-04, 07:15 PM
Denial can be sad AND amusing at the same time.

A river in Egypt (http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=51131)

RichK
11-08-04, 07:26 PM
"I would say our enthusiasm doesn't match that what it was in CART"

God I love reading that.
:laugh:

DaveL
11-08-04, 07:29 PM
I would say our enthusiasm doesn't match that what it was in CART but the cost is and that is a huge worry for the company."

Wow. If that isn't the quote of the year. What I wouldn't do to put that on a T-shirt and sell it at IRL races.

The meltdown on TF over this should be a lot of fun to watch.

L1P1
11-08-04, 09:07 PM
Wow. If that isn't the quote of the year. What I wouldn't do to put that on a T-shirt and sell it at IRL races.

The meltdown on TF over this should be a lot of fun to watch.

Why leave it over there?

now i understand why chevy is leaving...
i was pretty angry this whole weekend over their decision to leave the IRL, but after a lot of thought, it makes total sense.

they cited the poor return on investment, which i couldn't understand.

then i thought about the future.

statistically speaking, there was about about 100% probability that no teams would be purchasing one of their crummy bow-tie dogs after this next year. there would be no reason for them to tow that pointless two-story trailer around, or spend the money on eninge R&D if no one was willing to purchase a guaranteed "out-of-the-crate" loser.

dont give me any lines about "increasing costs" bla bla bla. i'll give you a rebuttle of "WORLDS LARGEST AUTO MAKER."

i can accept that...honestly i can. because since no one was gonna run your engines anymore, willingly anyway, its really no loss for the league or the teams.

chevy's IRL program wasnt an alternative....its was only barely a LAST OPTION.

im sorry, but the performance results are against chevy here. its not the leagues fault, its chevrolets, because they didnt care enough to put a worthwhile product on the track.

DaveL
11-08-04, 09:18 PM
Reminds me of the denial we were all in when Mercedes left. We said the same things without ever realizing that if Mercedes felt the series had a value that would have justified the expense of competing they would have stayed. They didn't, they left, and the first card fell...and we all know how the story ended.

L1P1
11-08-04, 09:27 PM
Reminds me of the denial we were all in when Mercedes left. We said the same things without ever realizing that if Mercedes felt the series had a value that would have justified the expense of competing they would have stayed. They didn't, they left, and the first card fell...and we all know how the story ended.

I'll buy that.

Chiphead_Dave
11-09-04, 12:42 AM
This is just too good.

Originally posted by Jim Wilke
NASCAR needs a new engine as well. Maybe what is in the works is a new, common formula. Use the same engine in Cup and the IRL, a slightly restricted or smaller version in Busch and the Trucks.

(from some other TF idiot) I believe that is the right way to go, too. Interesting if that happens.
I allways thought - why Indy cars can not use the same simple carb engines used by Cup cars?

Maybe because a Cup engine
1. Wont fit in a OW chassis.
2. Weighs as much as Foyt Sr's ass.
3. Won't perform on a road course well.
4. Is backwoods technology.
5. All of the above.

On second thought I think it would be a great idea for them to use CUP engines. I could finally fulfill my dream of dieing of laughter.

nrc
11-09-04, 03:28 AM
Maybe because a Cup engine
1. Wont fit in a OW chassis.
2. Weighs as much as Foyt Sr's ass.

What they really want is a car that will fit a "Cup" engine in front and Foyt Sr's ass in back.

Ankf00
11-09-04, 10:31 AM
yeehaw, carbeurated pushrod 5.7L engines in formula cars, now THAS racin'

cart7
11-09-04, 11:10 AM
"Our level of support is approaching that of what it was in CART. I would say our enthusiasm doesn't match that what it was in CART but the cost is and that is a huge worry for the company."

So, you really didn't want to go around in circles all year but you did it because it was cheap. Now that it's not so cheap, in part because of engine changes TG made to appease you and Honda, you're bored and ready to leave? :rolleyes:

Jag_Warrior
11-14-04, 11:01 AM
Why I seldom visit that board: How about changing NASCAR to open wheels? They could adopt the IRL specs. Do you suppose the fans would enjoy that more? (just a thought) A thought? Then I suggest he not think so much.

Let's see... the IRL is now being referred to as Onion Gum, and he thinks the most successful series in the U.S. would adopt the specs of a struggling failure? I'm tempted to (try to) register there, just so I could ask this fellow to explain his logic. But I doubt they'd let me join, plus the explanation might give me a headache. I know CCWS is still climbing out of the hole. But even if things were better, I don't think I could drink enough scotch to make me think Formula One (for instance) might adopt Champ Car specs.

Ozarkian
11-14-04, 01:06 PM
Why I seldom visit that board: How about changing NASCAR to open wheels? They could adopt the IRL specs. Do you suppose the fans would enjoy that more? (just a thought) A thought? Then I suggest he not think so much.

They claim over there that many TF posters are in or well connected to the "league." Now we have another explanation of why the IRL is doing so well ...

Rogue Leader
11-14-04, 05:08 PM

That is possibly the stupidest thing I have ever read..... I believe I am missing some IQ points now after seeing this, and I can only imagine the original poster has an IQ equivalent to that of an ant.

pinniped
11-15-04, 05:46 PM
This is the proverbial "tip of the iceberg." The manufacturers are doing just what everyone said they would do if the crowds didn't materialize. The next step will be sponsors dropping out here and there, teams folding that defected from CART, NASCAR finally not wanting to be associated with losers...the next two years will be interesting. This is the announcement of the end game and unless their viewership changes radically this season, things will pick up pace in terms of negative announcements.

I don't think the IRL will die soon though. It may be mortally wounded and end up being some kind of douchebag prototype series or some kind of spec engine oval pushrod wankfest. But by the end of 2006 - it will be significantly weaker. Their rules package is locked in until then and that is when toyota and honda have to renew - or not.

If toyota of all things is barking about the price and return on investment, in late 2004, just how loud will they be screaming at the end of 2006?

Maybe they need drivers with more Amurrican sounding names. :gomer: So you'd be able to take 'em back to Sears if they're defective-like. :gomer:

KLang
11-15-04, 06:16 PM
Coming Soon to an oval track near you!

The earl, powered by Briggs & Stratton. :laugh:

Ozarkian
11-17-04, 12:17 AM
Looks like all the smug, "we have won" statements made by the Earl and their fans earlier this year were a bit premature ...

FRANKY
11-17-04, 04:31 PM
Looks like all the smug, "we have won" statements made by the Earl and their fans earlier this year were a bit premature ...

I don't think victory was declared. In fact if you read between the lines at TF you can see that there is more disention from day one (pure bred lemmings excluded) with what has been going on since Honda and Toyota came on board. They know.

oddlycalm
11-17-04, 05:17 PM
On second thought I think it would be a great idea for them to use CUP engines. I could finally fulfill my dream of dieing of laughter. Yep, or choking on a piece of Onion Gum while laughing uncontrollably.

oddlycalm
11-17-04, 05:38 PM
I don't think the IRL will die soon though. No, it will just smell like it had. :D Or maybe that's just the smell of glob of stale Onion Gum cooked onto the sidewalk on a hot afternoon.... :rofl:

On a serious note, those independent ratings and attendence numbers have got to be hard to swallow for the Crackforum addicts. They've been talking out their tailpipes using Fred Nation's cooked numbers for years.

BTW, as a lawyer, care to speculate on the grounds ABC will use to try to kill the broadcast contract? Should we take bets on which year ABC will weasel?

oc

pinniped
11-17-04, 07:43 PM
care to speculate on the grounds ABC will use to try to kill the broadcast contract? Should we take bets on which year ABC will weasel?

oc

Well, since you ask...and speculation is so fun...

Unfortunately you'd have to read the contracts to know...however...if hypothetically the contract had a "performance" clause in it requiring certain ratings, or perhaps allowing one or both parties to get out of the contract if the ratings were below a certain level, then maybe something could happen...I do believe that when one is talking about low rating events it certainly seems the station holds all the cards...witness how every year champ car and formula one have new tv deals...and then again maybe it is being subsidized (now that wouldn't be a shock would it)...

I think it will all come very close to unraveling for them at the end of 2006. That gives just enough time for the sponsors, mfrs, Japanese yen saviors, and television stations to have their fill of it...