PDA

View Full Version : Gidley to GrandAm

nrc
10-30-04, 12:59 AM
I guess the fact that Gidley showed much better in limited seat time at Rocketsports than his replacement Guy Smith didn't move Gentilozzi to make a move for next year.

Gidley will be pretending to run in a major-league series next year with some Formula Mazda guy. :rolleyes:

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=172421&FS=GRANDAM-GRANDCUP

Sean O'Gorman
10-30-04, 01:02 AM
Hey, look at that, there is actually is a professional level road racing series that still hires American drivers. Tell me again, what is wrong with that?

And that "some Formula Mazda guy" was the runaway winner of the series this year. Tell me, what is the Toyota Atlantic champion going to be doing next year?

devilmaster
10-30-04, 01:21 AM
WooHoo!

5 pages and some really weren't done with that topic! How dare nrc have his own personal opinion of a racing series. Fer shame, rich. :shakehead

Steve

Steve99
10-30-04, 01:53 AM
Fractional ownership of a sports car team? That is an interesting concept. I don't see it working in the long run though.

nrc
10-30-04, 01:54 AM
And that "some Formula Mazda guy" was the runaway winner of the series this year. Tell me, what is the Toyota Atlantic champion going to be doing next year?

He could run another season of Formula Atlantic and still be driving something faster than a Daytona "Prototype".

Dr. Corkski
10-30-04, 04:24 AM
He could run another season of Formula Atlantic and still be driving something faster than a Daytona "Prototype".On the other hand said FMazda graduate might be able go faster in a Daytona "Prototype" than a select few of the CART ladder grads could in a Champ Car. :gomer:

O'Gorman's a champ. Only at OffCamber. :rofl:

Sean O'Gorman
10-30-04, 10:38 AM
WooHoo!

5 pages and some really weren't done with that topic! How dare nrc have his own personal opinion of a racing series. Fer shame, rich. :shakehead

Steve

Hey, I wasn't done with that thread. In fact, I was just getting ready to gloat about how I was right about there apparently being no other realistic alternative for a prototype, based on the lack of responses to my guestion. I promise this one wont be nearly as long. ;)

Fractional ownership of a sports car team? That is an interesting concept. I don't see it working in the long run though.

I think teams in other series have tried that and it hasn't really worked out. I wouldn't be interested in that in the slightest. But McDowell I'm sure brings $$$, and Gidley has the Air Force Reserve sponsorship, so that should cover things pretty well. Can't imagine why the Air Force passed up a series with only 7 US races for Grand-Am... :shakehead

He could run another season of Formula Atlantic and still be driving something faster than a Daytona "Prototype".

But he'd be racing against essentially nobody. Who is going to be in Atlantics next year anyway? Besides, Travis says that Pacific Coast is looking at moving over into Grand-Am for '05, I'm sure Fogarty wouldn't have a problem going along if a ride was offered.

O'Gorman's a champ. Only at OffCamber.

Oh wow, I hadn't even noticed that! Thanks for bringing it up, now nrc or RaceGrrl is going to change my user title to "Dunce" or something like that. :rofl:

Ankf00
10-30-04, 11:37 AM
now nrc or RaceGrrl is going to change my user title to "Dunce" or something like that. :rofl:

if the shoe fits :gomer:

nrc
10-30-04, 02:04 PM
On the other hand said FMazda graduate might be able go faster in a Daytona "Prototype" than a select few of the CART ladder grads could in a Champ Car. :gomer:

So there aren't any backmarkers in FMazda? Which CART ladder grads are you claiming would be over 13 seconds off the pace at MidOhio?

Sean O'Gorman
10-30-04, 02:16 PM
So there aren't any backmarkers in FMazda?

McDowell has 7 wins, 6 poles, and the championship in 10 races, in the second fastest and most highly populated open wheel ladder series in the U.S.

However, he did drive for the mega-team that is run by the organizers of the Star Mazda series, which some (such as the guy who wrote this (http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid137/pffb4e4c198ca7fe0d9d684f92a8988f7/f741aa49.jpg) not-family safe graffiti on the bathroom wall at Mid-Ohio) view as an unfair advantage and a conflict of interest.

EDIT: I guess my post looks strange now, since you've changed your reply around completely. Oh well. :o

Ankf00
10-30-04, 02:59 PM
Monsters Inc. is on the teevee tonight, you should watch ShillO. Cartoons will make you happy. :gomer:

nrc
10-30-04, 11:31 PM
EDIT: I guess my post looks strange now, since you've changed your reply around completely. Oh well. :o

Changed it around completely? I added one sentence as you can see from your own quote.

Ankf00
10-30-04, 11:33 PM
did you guys hear what Jim Rome said about aggy? :D

Sean O'Gorman
10-31-04, 12:01 AM
Changed it around completely? I added one sentence as you can see from your own quote.

Your original post mentioned something about not being familiar with McDowell since you don't follow Star Mazda, but by the time I went to quote, you removed that part, and I hadn't noticed until after I posted.

FCYTravis
10-31-04, 01:35 AM
40+ cars start every FMazda field.
15 are lucky to grid for Atlantics.

Sorry nrc, the Mazdas are the tougher grid right now. By far.

Atlantics are too expensive and Mazdas are frickin' cheap. Do the math.

FCYTravis
10-31-04, 01:38 AM
I will also note that the engineers for Findlay Motorsports are Steve and Rick Cameron, formerly of Lynx Racing. Looks like the whole Cameron outfit moved over.

theunions
10-31-04, 03:22 AM
I will also note that the engineers for Findlay Motorsports are Steve and Rick Cameron, formerly of Lynx Racing. Looks like the whole Cameron outfit moved over.

Actually it is still Cameron Motorsports - Findlay's corporate operations are indeed in Charlotte, but the team will retain the Cameron shop in Sonoma.

devilmaster
10-31-04, 03:31 AM
Hey, I wasn't done with that thread.

Well Duh.

In fact, I was just getting ready to gloat about how I was right about there apparently being no other realistic alternative for a prototype, based on the lack of responses to my guestion.

You don't hear a brick wall gloat when no one talks to it....

I promise this one wont be nearly as long. ;)

Liar.

Oh wow, I hadn't even noticed that! Thanks for bringing it up, now nrc or RaceGrrl is going to change my user title to "Dunce" or something like that. :rofl:

Sometimes the obvious doesn't need to be announced.

nrc
10-31-04, 04:21 AM
40+ cars start every FMazda field.
15 are lucky to grid for Atlantics.

Sorry nrc, the Mazdas are the tougher grid right now. By far.

Atlantics are too expensive and Mazdas are frickin' cheap. Do the math.

I don't have any idea what you think that has to do with my point. Cheap cars make for bigger fields. Wow. That's great for club racing but I expect something a little faster when you start to claim to be near the top tier of any category.

Dr. Corkski
10-31-04, 05:14 AM
I don't have any idea what you think that has to do with my point. Cheap cars make for bigger fields. Wow. That's great for club racing but I expect something a little faster when you start to claim to be near the top tier of any category.The new Star Mazda specs actually have engines pulling about 240HP, about the same as the almighty Atlantic engines. They are generally within 5% of times set by Atlanitc cars. You sure are right about cheap cars making bigger grids. If Atlantics didn't allow club racers to bring in the old spec Swifts the grid would have even been more pathetic this year.

Racewriter
10-31-04, 11:06 AM
Looks like Trav and Corkski have this one nicely under control...

Atlantics is on deathwatch, folks.

Sean O'Gorman
10-31-04, 11:30 AM
Looks like Trav and Corkski have this one nicely under control...

Atlantics is on deathwatch, folks.

Didn't you know, it isn't real racing unless the series is constantly struggling to survive! :gomer:

Ankf00
10-31-04, 11:37 AM
Sometimes the obvious doesn't need to be announced.
sure it does, we need to protect innocent children from potential trauma don't we?

Railbird
10-31-04, 12:06 PM
Sadly the "spec" mentality is being embraced at most levels of racing.

Big fields are nice, no inovation is not so nice. I've watched the last few GA races just to get a peak at VIR and BMP and have come to the conclusion that they need a big enough field to support single class races. With no other classes to compare them to the DPs wouldn't look so slow, of course they would still be homely.

FMazda put on a fairly entertaining race at the Petit.

nrc
10-31-04, 12:50 PM
The new Star Mazda specs actually have engines pulling about 240HP, about the same as the almighty Atlantic engines.

I don't consider anything about Atlantic "almighty" by any means. I simply think that a proper feeder for Champ car should be faster than FA, not slower. FM is a great replacement for Barber Dodge Pro.

Sean O'Gorman
10-31-04, 01:54 PM
I don't consider anything about Atlantic "almighty" by any means. I simply think that a proper feeder for Champ car should be faster than FA, not slower. FM is a great replacement for Barber Dodge Pro.

I would imagine the Star Mazdas could be made faster (through turbos or whatever), but the tradeoff in extra cost and reliability probably wouldn't be worth it.

FCYTravis
10-31-04, 04:19 PM
FMs are significantly faster than BDPS. On the order of five seconds a lap faster at *LIME ROCK* and more than eight seconds a lap faster at Road America.

JoeBob
10-31-04, 04:39 PM
I don't think there's anything bad about a "spec" feeder series. If anything, spec is better. The point is to develop drivers and mechanics, not to have driver quality clouded by funding.

I see the Mazdas and the Atlantics as "peers" on the development ladder. What is missing is the step between FM/TA and ChampCars. Atlantics were considered a "junior series" to Indy Lights - another series that was over downforced and underpowered. Ideally, the ladder would be karting -> BDPS/BMW -> Toyota Atlantic/Formula Mazda -> ChampCar Lights/F3000 -> ChampCar

Obviously, some guys might skip a step here or there, but thats the general path.

nrc
10-31-04, 05:19 PM
FMs are significantly faster than BDPS. On the order of five seconds a lap faster at *LIME ROCK* and more than eight seconds a lap faster at Road America.

Which is part of the reason I say it's a good replacement.

Easy
11-01-04, 11:08 AM
However, he did drive for the mega-team that is run by the organizers of the Star Mazda series, which some (such as the guy who wrote this (http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid137/pffb4e4c198ca7fe0d9d684f92a8988f7/f741aa49.jpg) not-family safe graffiti on the bathroom wall at Mid-Ohio) view as an unfair advantage and a conflict of interest.

There was some matching graffiti about Guy Cosmo in the next stall. Seriously. Good fun.