PDA

View Full Version : Steve Stone Resigns

KaBoom21
10-29-04, 11:46 AM
What a bummer...

Dear Cubs fans:

Since I put on a Cubs uniform in 1974, I've seen lots of Cubs history. There has been heartache and joy, agony and ecstasy, not to mention 21 managers and 10 general managers.

Through all of these years and more than a few broadcast partners, I have always felt a strong connection to the greatest, most loyal fans in baseball, Cubs fans.

My love for the city of Chicago and the people who came to beautiful Wrigley Field has been a constant. Over three million of you Cubs fans came to the ball park in 2004 and the TV ratings showed you watched the Cubs broadcasts in staggering numbers.

Unfortunately, the 2004 season did not end as we had hoped. It was devastating for all of us who invested our hearts, our time and in many cases our lives, in the hopes and dreams of the Cubs winning a world championship.

I am sure you have read many things about this past season and my involvement in one or two controversies. However, you have never heard my story or my perspective of the events that have brought us to this point in time.

As has always been my personal policy, it is not my intention to divulge the content of private conversations I've had with others. Likewise, I do not want to be forced into sharing my side of the story.

I came to Chicago on the high road with my credibility and integrity. Thirty years later, I choose to leave the same way.

The phrase I used that angered certain people was "I regret nothing." Well folks, I was wrong about that and want to set the record straight. I regret I won't be calling another Cubs game on WGN-TV for the greatest fans in baseball…the fans of the Chicago Cubs.

It's been a great ride. I will never forget you. Most importantly, I thank you all for every minute of happiness, you, the fans have given me.

Best regards,

Steve Stone

spinner26
10-29-04, 12:44 PM
I heard this on the radio last night and thought it was a joke. Guess you can't tell management on the public air waves they make bad decisions and keep your job. Sad to see he was a good one. Skip Carry left before the season started this year didn't he? Sounds like open door for anyone looking to call baseball games for the Cubbies.

SteveH
10-29-04, 09:24 PM
Stone caught hell for criticizing a team that was picked to win the World Series before the season even began. Criticized by Dusty Baker and players, who by the way were listening in the clubhouse during the games! The Cubs didn't even make the play offs, folded up like a cheap card table. Stone was right. And now he resigns, I'm sure he was under some pressure for the organization. Meanwhile the primadonnas will again get the undying love and admiration of a packed Wrigley Field next season. :thumdown:

Here's to ya' Steve. Best wishes. :thumbup:

chop456
10-29-04, 11:00 PM
I always found his voice annoying, but Chip Caray is the worst. I absolutely can't listen to him. The TV goes down and the radio goes up. Stone knew his stuff, anyway. Onwards and upwards. Someone said they had talked to Sandberg. Please god, no. Unless it was him, Grace and Sandberg's ex-wife in the booth. :D

RTKar
10-30-04, 01:27 AM
Jimmy Piersall.....He'd make Stone look like a Cubscout.

( for those not from the Chicago area, Harry Carry's Chicago hey day was with the White Sox when he was teamed with Jimmy Piersall...." How could he lose that ball in the sun, he's from Mexico".... NOT with the Cubs. I wasn't a Sox fan, but those guys were worth listening to.)

Winston Wolfe
10-30-04, 03:41 AM
I remember a classic Harry \ Steve moment from the 90's.

Harry is in the booth, Cubbies are losing (as usuall)... Ground ball hit to Mark Grace at first , and he bobbles it.... allowing the runner to reach first, and maybe even a run scores for the opposition.... (details dont really matter, since I am home sick from work, watching a cubbies game live on cablem, which was WGN at the time, and I am in SoCal, so everything is "Kool & the Ganag" regardless....).... anyway, Harry comes up with the classic...

"well, another error by Gracie at first... not a guy really know for his fielding prowess, but more so with his bat..... "

Steve Sone: "..... ahhhh, Harry, actually Grace has won the gold glove for his position X out of the XX previous years" (of course, putting Harray Caray's statement down in the dumps, where it belongs....)

Harry says : (something along the lines of... ) "How about an ice cold Bud-weiser, Steve?".....

I had the best day off from work, experiencing the candid banter between Harry and Steve..... ahhhh, the mammaries !

(Please forgive me me if any of the above statements are untrue, can be verified as "untrue", or if I am completely making this sheet up, from part memories from an SNL skit, or whatever.... because, that is my story, amd I am sticking to it.... )

I know there was some truth to it.... I know it was humorous, and I knwow that Harry and Steve were involved. :p

Dr. Corkski
10-30-04, 04:31 AM
Serves him right. He should have just followed the company line and said that he was just happy to see the Cubs play regardless of how bad the product is. He is really just a Cards' fan that want to see them move into Wrigley Field. :gomer:

Maybe the Cubs can hire Scooter the baseball. :laugh:

Jervis Tetch 1
10-31-04, 01:07 AM
So the Cubs don't like what he said? What are they doing listening to him during a game? They should be concentrating on the field.

It's sad when a color commentator, who played the game, knows the game and loves it is criticized for being brutally honest. I remember when the Dodgers blew a huge (double-digit) lead and lost some years ago (Philadelphia if I'm not mistaken), long-time announcing legend Vin Scully was so upset that he barked "I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!" in such a contemptable tone, but he was right and the Dodgers took no action against him. He was being honest as a lot of other announcers would have done.

Now who will be in the booth for the Cubs? Maybe Ralph Kiner, who sometimes can't even remember how to say his name. "This is Ralph Corner signing off."

One of my favorites: Tim McCarver (who did the Mets color commentary once) was working with Kiner when the Mets were ironically playing the Cubs. The Mets made a bonehead play or other when McCarver called out "That kind of play makes you want to commit Hari-Kari."

To which Kiner responded: "And he's in the booth next to us."

McCarver actually guffawed very loudly after that innocent remark. :rofl:

CART T. Katz
10-31-04, 11:14 PM
i saw this posted in a cubs fan forum when his statement was released.

steve's letter can be summed up in 8 words: cubs fans, thank you. cubs management, f*** you.