PDA

View Full Version : New Car

Audi_A4
10-28-04, 12:21 AM
I am considering getting rid of the A4. I would like to get a new A4 but am not happy with Audi's resale value. so now the search is on. I like the Acura TL, it looks cool and since its a honda, it will go forever with few problems. Anyone out there have any other ideas? I need a 4 door because I work in real estate and sometimes need a back seat. and I would like to get a manual (6 speed )

Winston Wolfe
10-28-04, 12:28 AM
I am considering getting rid of the A4. I would like to get a new A4 but am not happy with Audi's resale value. so now the search is on. I like the Acura TL, it looks cool and since its a honda, it will go forever with few problems. Anyone out there have any other ideas? I need a 4 door because I work in real estate and sometimes need a back seat. and I would like to get a manual (6 speed )

You have got to look at the G35, both the coupe and sedan, just had a minor model refresh... Coupe HP is being bumped to 287, I believe. Decent resale value, and benevolent dealerships.
Also, the TL is a heck of a car, but has little to no, low-end torque. My brother has one with the full "A-Spec" kit, which is a lot of spoilers, underbody, front end, wheels and tires and a slight lowering kit... It handles great, but its a dog off the line. Plenty of room, with navi, Dolby 5.2 surround stereo, with DVD, has blue-tooth, XM radio, and tons of creature comforts. Problem is, my Accord V6 Sedan, is almost as fast, and might have better resale.
Also, take a look at the Volvo sedans... S40, or whatever they are calling it now.... pretty good and pretty quick. The TSX is another nice Acura, but it is a little small (sold as the Accord in E.U.)
Just my 2 cents.

Ziggy
10-28-04, 01:00 AM
Have you thought about buying another Volkswagon? :laugh:

manic mechanic
10-28-04, 01:50 AM
You have got to look at the G35, both the coupe and sedan, just had a minor model refresh... Coupe HP is being bumped to 287, I believe. Decent resale value, and benevolent dealerships.
Also, the TL is a heck of a car, but has little to no, low-end torque. My brother has one with the full "A-Spec" kit, which is a lot of spoilers, underbody, front end, wheels and tires and a slight lowering kit... It handles great, but its a dog off the line. Plenty of room, with navi, Dolby 5.2 surround stereo, with DVD, has blue-tooth, XM radio, and tons of creature comforts. Problem is, my Accord V6 Sedan, is almost as fast, and might have better resale.
Also, take a look at the Volvo sedans... S40, or whatever they are calling it now.... pretty good and pretty quick. The TSX is another nice Acura, but it is a little small (sold as the Accord in E.U.)
Just my 2 cents.

I'll second the nod on the G-35. The HP bump is only up to the 350z level, but was done with intake tract rerouting and a small prom flash. Buy one with the equipment you want, then spend the rest of what you might on an A4 in mods (Stillen has a warranty & emissions legal supercharger kit to boost hp to over 380 and all the bolt-ons that make 350z's hot) and tweak it the way you want it.

I want a 6spd coupe sooo bad...I just can't justify the expense yet.

maybe by mid 2005... :thumbup:

manic

KLang
10-28-04, 09:12 AM
I got a TL back in December and I am quite pleased with it.

My CL Type-S seemed to be a bit quicker but the TL still has plenty of power for passing or whatever. The new TL has a lot of improvements over the previous generation. Better handling and ride, interior is quite nice and quieter. Audio system is amazing.

My only complaints: Factory tires suck, turning radius, and not enough channel presets for the XM radio.

Dirty Sanchez
10-28-04, 09:39 AM
You will miss the Audi...

Audi_A4
10-28-04, 09:46 AM
You will miss the Audi...

I am sure I will miss the Audi, but long term reliability sucks

JoeBob
10-28-04, 11:13 AM
I agree on the TSX, a little smaller, but a really cool car. (And, better looking than the TL, IMHO) Why Honda didn't make that the new Accord (as it is in Europe and Japan) rather than the Audi knock-off they're peddling is beyond me.

Sean O'Gorman
10-28-04, 11:22 AM
I agree on the TSX, a little smaller, but a really cool car. (And, better looking than the TL, IMHO) Why Honda didn't make that the new Accord (as it is in Europe and Japan) rather than the Audi knock-off they're peddling is beyond me.

Because Americans like their cars to have big V-6s, even if they have no use for them. I think today's Civics are bigger than the Accords of 10 years ago, and that frustrates me, I liked the smaller, more nimble Hondas. The current Civic Si hatch is practically a boat to me, it looks and feels like a 2-dr minivan.

RacinM3
10-28-04, 11:51 AM
You can thank me later.

With the new E90 3-Series coming out soon, now would be a good time to get a decent deal on one of these:
http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/02images/330iperf.jpg

4 doors, 6 Speed. Most magazines called it the best 3-Series ever, for the money.

edit - oh, sorry - it's the 330i Performance Package.

edit2 - I'm very predictable, huh?

MAXAR RE
10-28-04, 12:04 PM
You can thank me later.

With the new E90 3-Series coming out soon, now would be a good time to get a decent deal on one of these: the 330i Performance Package.

There's a lucky SoB here at work who has a white 330i Performance Package. He traded a '98 740 for it last year. I am very jealous of him since I can barely afford my Civic, and feel sorry for the 330 because he works 12-hour days, uses it solely as a commuter and rarely (every 2 months) washes it. I would worship that car, hand wash it every sunday and give is a daily feedingof a dozen highway miles and several nice curvy roads. I saw him once in the parking lot and offered to trade cars with him; he wasn't amused. If anyone wants to give a 330i to a good home where it will be loved, send me a PM. :D

Sean O'Gorman
10-28-04, 12:44 PM
Who cares about the new 3, let me know when they give it bulging fender flares for those wide tires and all that HP needed to utilize those tires. In other words, when are they going to unveil the M version of it? :D

RichK
10-28-04, 01:11 PM
The 330ci has the same power as the older E36 M3, if I recall correctly. That's not bad at all!

oddlycalm
10-28-04, 01:58 PM
The 330ci has the same power as the older E36 M3, if I recall correctly. That's not bad at all!Right, and the performance package adds a bit more. Basically you get a 4 door M3 less the S54 engine. In terms of day to day usable power the 330 has plenty and it even has a nicer exhaust note than the E46 M3.

Good automotive taste on this forum. I too would be looking at the G35, 330i pp and the TL. Unfortunately, my experience with Volvo is that they suffer from the same sort reliability issues as Audi. Lots of trips to the shop for minor stuff and I have other things I prefer to do with my time.

I have to 2nd the vote on the Audi as well. We only use our A6 wagon for a winter car and when we need to haul stuff, but VW/Audi has a long way to go when it comes to overall refinement and reliability. If we needed ours for frequent use it would have been gone a long time ago. The bright spot is that around here resale on Audi is better than it should be. If we decide we still want an AWD wagon for a winter car we'll probably get Scooby Doo... errr, Subaru.

oc

RacinM3
10-28-04, 02:12 PM
What about the Lexus IS300? Although I think you can only get a 5-speed, not a 6-speed.

Or what about this? I know you didn't say you wanted a wagon, and it's only available with an automatic, but it's just too pretty not to post....I really think most mid to high end cars look great as wagons:http://imgserv.ya.com/images/3/1/319f60d1d131a562i3.jpg
http://www.jaguarusa.com/us/en/vehicles/concept_cars/overview_69E8D3D9-D16E-4F10-8913-C83DD84CB391_462x669.jpg

RichK
10-28-04, 02:21 PM
I don't know much about the Saab 9^3, but I like that funky metallic greenish-yellow color.

Forza Lancia
10-29-04, 11:16 AM
As a matter of fact, I'm in pretty much the same position -- I'm planning to trade in my trusy 1994 Mitsubishi Galant GS (the twin-cam, 5-speed sport version, which they never produced again after that model year), probably next spring. So I'm starting to look for a similar replacement -- 4-door, sporting, but not too expensive or ostentatious, etc. My leading candidate right now is the Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited (http://www.subaru.com/index.jsp) -- it's got the WRX Sti's engine and four-wheel drive (but only a 5-speed, not 6).

nrc
10-29-04, 12:02 PM
Need a four door?

http://asmic.com/collect/rx-8tm/pics/rx8-pk13.jpg

FTG
10-29-04, 12:09 PM
I like my TL. It's pretty easy to spin the tires and it handles well enough to scatter the groceries all over the trunk. Unless you are fortunate enough to live near a lot of wide open twisty roads, race your car on weekends or are extremely demanding about performance, I can't see you being disappointed.

(And I would love to get the TL out on some wide open twisty roads. There just aren't very many around here.)