PDA

View Full Version : Spike audio - WTF?

dando
10-24-04, 04:11 PM
Is it just me, or is the audio completely f'ed up? All I can hear are the cars with a little bit of the announcer feed!!! Can't the Beetlejuice idiots get a tape delayed race right? JC! :mad:

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
10-24-04, 04:16 PM
It sounded alright on Race Director last night. I don't know what you're talking about right now though, I'm at work. :(

indyfan31
10-24-04, 04:18 PM
You should try it with surround sound on, it's like announcers are on the left side only; I thought it was my receiver, but the commercials sound normal.
Oh well, at least we can hear the cars this time.

Railbird
10-24-04, 04:19 PM
Sounds like they're announcing from a cave, kinda makes Benjiman a little less annoying though.

cart7
10-24-04, 04:21 PM
Good. It wasn't just me then. Can't hear a thing but engines. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :gomer:

dando
10-24-04, 04:32 PM
You should try it with surround sound on, it's like announcers are on the left side only; I thought it was my receiver, but the commercials sound normal.
Oh well, at least we can hear the cars this time.
Yup. Audio on the left only. Very, very muted. The audio of the cars seems to have been lowered since the start. Can't wait until a commercial...I have the audio jacked up, so I might end up like Michael J. Fox in Back to the Future. :shakehead

-Kevin

dando
10-24-04, 04:34 PM
It sounded alright on Race Director last night. I don't know what you're talking about right now though, I'm at work. :(
Sucks to be you. :p I'll let you know when the Indy girls are on the toob. :D

-Kevin

Railbird
10-24-04, 04:36 PM
They've got it right now.

dando
10-24-04, 04:55 PM
They've got it right now.
Not here in Cbus. Oh well, could be worse....could be listening to the sound of Crapwagons drowning out Jenkins, Goodyear & Porky Paige. My biggest complaint is the lack of Indy girls. C'mon, this is supposed to be a network for guys! :)

-Kevin

Railbird
10-24-04, 05:00 PM
it's wanked back out here.

The last days of the Spike deal, no sense worryin about it now.

TKGAngel
10-24-04, 05:03 PM
Audio is still whacked out in Buffalo. Putting on the closed captioning is somewhat more bearable, but leads to a whole mess of nonsensical words and phrasing.

Rogue Leader
10-24-04, 06:02 PM
Ugh nothing like watching a race on TV with no commentary! and it was a good race, what a f'ing train wreck this broadcast was!

Only during 1 period between commercials was the commentary hearable, the rest was gone...

L1P1
10-24-04, 06:18 PM
It was screwed up for me the entire race. I had to turn it way up to hear the commentary (then commercials would blow my ears out). I think this has happened before too.

dando
10-24-04, 06:20 PM
Even the promos for Dog Day Afternoon were hosed, so it wasn't just the race (although most of the commercials were fine). It seemed like a surround problem...wrong channels for the effects vs. commentary.

FWIW, I sent a note to the CCWS folks via the Contact Us linky to let 'em know that this was the crappiest broadcast to date. The amigos have got to have higher expectations for broadcasts than this. Beetlejuice make Ligner look like Emmy Award winners. :thumdown:

-Kevin

nrc
10-24-04, 06:42 PM
It's a shame the audio ruined it. On race director it looked like it was going to be a good one.

RTKar
10-24-04, 06:49 PM
In some ways it was kind of interesting hearing primarily the trackside sounds. I remember in CART's hey day a broadcast without commentary, just the race sounds, I thought it was pretty cool back then. It was pretty hard to follow the strategies without commentary. Had I watched it live, I would have had T/S on though.

KLang
10-24-04, 06:59 PM
I spent most of the race standing off to the left side of the TV in order to hear the announcers. I think this only the second or third race I've been forced to watch on Spike. I sure hope HDNet is in the picture again next year.

Gary
10-24-04, 08:41 PM
What an embarassment. This reflects very badly on our world-class series. Heads should roll.

Gary

Jervis Tetch 1
10-24-04, 09:50 PM
The audio did suck. Good thread because I thought at first I wasn't hearing things. Turns out I was right.

Chiphead_Dave
10-24-04, 11:56 PM
Directv audio was screwed the whole time.

I hate to say it (since I have often said I could live
without the announcers) but I think the race was worse
for it. Especially when the TV crew spends all of their time
on the leaders. I had no idea what what happening further
back.

Good job to whomever was running the mixer board. NOT!

4wheeldrifter
10-25-04, 08:08 AM
I couldn't hear Benjamin at all, TK only in spurts, and Daly about half the time. Eventually just turned it down and ended up watching about half the race, 30 seconds at a time. D@mn, and Australia is one of my favorite races. :thumdown:

Congrats Bruno.

Wabbit
10-25-04, 11:42 AM
Look at the positive side....

At leasr we didn't have to hear Daly tell stories of his glory days that were never that interesting to start with. :D

mueber
10-25-04, 02:46 PM
SpikeTV will not be long with us. Which is a good thing. Although I did kind of like the engine sounds, I just couldn't believe that a producer or an engineer didn't fix it, and keep it fixed. I never did figure out for sure who the girl with the rosary is, and I thought Daily might have had to instruct Tommy as to what a rosary is. Might have been funny.

Personally, I like Benjamin, but after awhile, I just pretended I was at the race and, as is usually the case, couldn't hear the PA announcer.

Steve99
10-25-04, 06:33 PM
Strange. On mine the announcers only came out of the left speaker with mainly engine noises coming out the right, but I could hear everything just fine. It did take some getting used to though.

CARTNUT
10-26-04, 12:10 AM
I solved the audio problem by adjusting the sound levels on my 6.1 system. LF & LSurr all the way up, Center F & R @ Zero, and RF & RSurr all the way down (-12). It still sounded like $#!+ so I moved the TV over between the LF & LSurr speakers and moved my LayZBoy to the opposite side of the room. It still sounded like $#!+ so I just got another beer and chilled. After the third or 4th Corona it started to sound O.K. but the wife was mad cause she had to put the room back the way it was this morning by herself after I went to work. :laugh:

And yes, Betelgeuse SUCKS! :flame:

'NUT :gomer:

Sean O'Gorman
10-26-04, 12:27 AM
Is it possible that it was the host broadcaster from Australia that screwed up the coverage?

Fitti Fan
10-26-04, 07:15 PM
I would say it's entirely possible. I don't believe those guys were even there.

nrc
10-26-04, 08:12 PM
Doubt it. The host broadcaster would have provided the feed without the US announcers and it would have probably been up to someone else to add them in. The Race Director feed was fine.

JohnHKart
10-28-04, 06:15 AM
Oh man.....I know sometimes I can't hear the tv because of my musician ears and background noise....but this broadcast really simulated what it's like to be hard of hearing.....Sheesh!!!! And once in awhile they would fix the mix, then it would go right back to being screwed up.

John