PDA

View Full Version : Greatest live TV screw-up *ever*

Rob
10-24-04, 10:51 AM
Did anybody else watch Saturday Night Live last night? Pop tart Ashlee Simpson was their musical guest. They introduced her for her second song, but as she stood there with her microphone at her hip and her band playing the intro, you heard her recorded voice not only singing too early, but singing the wrong song. So she just stood there dumbfounded for about 10 seconds, danced some weird hoedown, and then walked off the stage while the band continued to play. :rofl:

Then to top it all off, at the end of the show she apologized and blamed the band for playing the wrong song!

Here's a clip of the blunder: http://www.siscom.net/~petreman/lipsync.avi

Sean O'Gorman
10-24-04, 11:17 AM
The first thing I've laughed at on SNL in years and it wasn't even intentional. That crappy show should go.

dirtyboy
10-24-04, 12:24 PM
Ahh that's great! :rofl: Nice dance too, stupid.

Dave99
10-24-04, 01:04 PM
I'm going out to let my real talent show, not to just stand there and dance around. Personally, I'd never lip-synch. It's just not me.

- Ashlee Simpson in Lucky Magazine

JoeBob
10-24-04, 01:31 PM
Here's a link to a higher quality video, but on a server that seems overloaded:

http://www.collegehumor.com/news/ashlee_snl.wmv

nrc
10-24-04, 01:40 PM
Tells you something about the entertainment industry when Ashlee Simpson is on SNL and LP (http://www.lprock.com/player.html) is playing Ruby Tuesday's in Columbus.

I didn't even know Ashlee Simpson existed so I went to Amazon and listened to a couple of clips. Good Lord. I can't remember the last major label release I heard with such terrible singing - and that's with all the tricks a producer can muster in a studio.

oddlycalm
10-24-04, 05:55 PM
I caught the gaff while rapiding through the show with ReplayTV. Simpson gets the 2004 Milli Vanilli award for career ending lip synch fiasco, and well deserved effort it was. SNL gets the Steaming Turd award for booking yet another faux musical act. :thumdown:

Reminds me of the old Dan Hicks tune "Canned Music".....

oc

Dr. Corkski
10-24-04, 06:04 PM
Blame it on the rain.

RTKar
10-24-04, 06:16 PM
...until now, I'd never heard of her....

L1P1
10-24-04, 06:48 PM
I watched the clip a second time to try to judge the band's reaction. Hers was clear, but their reaction seemed to be non-existant. Maybe it's just a matter of professional musicians bulling through a screwup unperturbed, but it occurs to me that there might be more here.

Consider that playing the wrong song is probably pretty common during a concert, but on SNL? You're only doing two songs and they've probably been very carefully selected - especially if you need the vocal tapes available. You've probably rehearsed them on site to get the mixing right.

So, what if a primadonna milli vanilli wannabe pisses off her band? (who are probably relatively unknown, but respected studio musicians) Might they decide to out her in front of a live national TV audience?

Hmmm....

L1P1
10-24-04, 06:58 PM
I watched the clip a second time to try to judge the band's reaction. Hers was clear, but their reaction seemed to be non-existant. Maybe it's just a matter of professional musicians bulling through a screwup unperturbed, but it occurs to me that there might be more here.

Consider that playing the wrong song is probably pretty common during a concert, but on SNL? You're only doing two songs and they've probably been very carefully selected - especially if you need the vocal tapes available. You've probably rehearsed them on site to get the mixing right.

So, what if a primadonna milli vanilli wannabe pisses off her band? (who are probably relatively unknown, but respected studio musicians) Might they decide to out her in front of a live national TV audience?

Hmmm....

Well, maybe not because according to a story on ABC news, the vocals that were playing were from the first song she performed without incident. Okay, so *now* she's pissed off her band. ;)

Dave99
10-24-04, 07:02 PM
Blame it on the rain.
:laugh:

BLAM!

indyfan31
10-24-04, 07:26 PM
Isn't that jessica simpson's sister? another one famous for being famous.

that was excellent by the way. the band didn't seem to concerned, they just kept playing (which is what you're supposed to do). As a matter of fact I think the lead player found some humor in the whole thing then just cranked up the Marshall when she walked off.

fourrunner
10-24-04, 08:19 PM
The band seemed amused by the whole thing ... Kudo's to them for hanging in like Pro's though !

I'm figuring playing backup to Ashlee Simpson is a payday at least!

pfc_m_drake
10-24-04, 08:30 PM
Blame it on the rain.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

dando
10-24-04, 09:05 PM
Isn't that jessica simpson's sister? another one famous for being famous.

Yup. I guess brains don't run in the family. :shakehead

-Kevin

JoeBob
10-25-04, 12:33 AM
If you watch closely, the band wasn't even playing when the "song" started. They were standing there doing nothing. When they realized the wrong song was playing, they picked up that song and started playing it.

They tried to cover for her, and ended up taking the blame.

The record label is blaming a "computer glitch."

ilferrari
10-25-04, 08:12 AM
:laugh: :thumbup:

That is the funniest thing I've seen for God knows how long. Were the band playing live aswell?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002GMSC0/qid=1098706110/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/102-8676406-4228120?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

Reaction already.. :D

cart7
10-25-04, 08:52 AM
According to a report on the Today show this morning on the incident, she's blaming the band for punching the wrong back-up track. :shakehead

Ankf00
10-25-04, 10:28 AM
she looked like she was at a ho down :rofl:

oddlycalm
10-25-04, 04:42 PM
The record label is blaming a "computer glitch."Pretty typical of the corporate music world. It's all just "product" the them. They treat music as if it were sausage.

oc

dando
10-25-04, 09:10 PM
Her Daddy blames acid reflux: linkylinky (http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041025/D85UMD500.html)

If Ashlee Simpson's stomach was upset Saturday night, imagine how she's feeling now. Busted for a "Saturday Night Live" lip-synch gone awry, her manager-father said Monday his 19-year-old daughter used the extra help because acid reflux disease had made her voice hoarse.

:rofl:

-Kevin

cart7
10-25-04, 09:20 PM
I heard the interview with Daddy dearest, aka her manager, on the radio this afternoon.

"He (the drummer who screwed up) was so excited to be on Sat. Night live he punched the wrong button" :rofl:

chop456
10-26-04, 01:26 AM
Her Daddy blames acid reflux: linky (http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041025/D85UMD500.html)

-Kevin

"Go away, Ashlee," wrote one on her Web site. "If you wanna be famous for something, choose something you can actually do. Maybe you could get naked for Playboy."

Well, I never. ;)

Maybe the Ashlee Simpson short bus dance will be the kids' newest thang.

Ankf00
10-26-04, 01:28 AM
"Go away, Ashlee," wrote one on her Web site. "If you wanna be famous for something, choose something you can actually do. Maybe you could get naked for Playboy."

Well, I never. ;)

Maybe the Ashlee Simpson short bus dance will be the kids' newest thang.

I'm telling you, just go to any good ol' country ho down!!! You'll see tons of ppl doing an "ashlee" !! :rofl: square dance goes modern ;)

http://ytmnd.cdn.lntc.net/data/41772/image.gif

JohnHKart
10-26-04, 06:52 AM
And as for the clip of her at the end of the show.....That is one ugly ugly chick...She's as horrible looking as her sister is hot and beautiful. I guess she's trying to go the other direction and be unattractive.

John

Warlock!
10-26-04, 07:34 AM
"Go away, Ashlee," wrote one on her Web site.
Check out her website now...
http://www.ashleesimpsonmusic.com/community/topics_index.asp

Several people seem to enjoy thrashing the poor little girl. :cry:

(By the way, most of the posts are NC-17 due to graphic language... one descriptive word used repeatedly rhymes with the word "bunt"... :D )

Warlock!

cart7
10-26-04, 07:48 AM
I'm telling you, just go to any good ol' country ho down!!! You'll see tons of ppl doing an "ashlee" !! :rofl: square dance goes modern ;)

http://ytmnd.cdn.lntc.net/data/41772/image.gif

They'd better not try and name that dance after her as I'm afraid the estate of the late Buddy Ebsen might have something to say about that. That's clearly a ripoff of the Jeb Clampett shuffle if I've ever seen one. :gomer:

RacinM3
10-26-04, 11:30 AM
OK, I guess I don't know why this whole thing really struck a nerve with me, I mean, who gives two s****s about Ashlee Simpson?

Then I started thinking about all the kids paying money for her crap ("music"). Britney Spears' crap. Jessica Simpsons' crap. It's fraud, plain and simple.

I actually TiVo'd that awards show she was on last night, as I had read she was really going to be singing live. With all that's happened, if they say it's going to be live, it would be too big a secret to try to synch it. So here it was, a rare opportunity to see a manufactured pop star making a real go of it.

It was like knowing when and where a train wreck was going to occur, before it happened. I had to do it.

Boy, was I not disappointed. She started out by faking that the band had started playing the wrong song again. I'm sure she thought of that herself, not her "handlers" :rolleyes: . Then she kind of danced around like a robot with sand in its joints. Then, she started making noise. Not singing, mind you, just making word-like noises.

I kid you not, the dog got up from a deep sleep and went into the bedroom after about 40 seconds. True story.

I struggled through the rest, as did she. At the end, she kind of half-smiled, turned around and fled the stage. I guess she figured better her than the audience fleeing the arena, which would have been next. Then they went to commercial, showing audience members kind of dumbfounded.

Like I said, not 100% sure about why this bugged me so much. Maybe it's because I know how many really good musicians are struggling out there.

Considering this crap is being pushed by the major labels, for me this has been the biggest proponent of illegal downloading. You steal from people, people steal from you.

Jervis Tetch 1
10-26-04, 12:54 PM
You know, there's always going to be some kind of lame, teenage-infested, bubblegum crap they call music out there.

There was Debbie Boone. There was Debbie Gibson. There was Tiffany. There's Brittney Spears, Madonna, and the Simpson goils. In country there's the Dixie Chicks and Leann Rimes.

It's a shame real honest-to-good music by real talents don't get the airwaves like this garbage.

Liz Phair, Tori Amos, the Cowboy Junkies (featuring Margo Timmons), Aimee Mann (I'm not a big fan, but I sure admire her talent sans Til Tuesday), Carla Olson, and I'm sure you've never heard of her, but Abra Moore.

Now those are ladies who can not only write good songs, but actually sing and play their own instruments...(I've seen Margo playing guitar).

RaceGrrl
10-26-04, 01:01 PM
and I'm sure you've never heard of her, but Abra Moore.

I have heard of her and have her debut cd but I haven't really followed her career. I'm a big fan of Heather Nova and also like Ani DiFranco.

Another band that you have to check out is LP (http://www.lprock.com). Richard and I mention them whenever we can because LP is an awesome singer that just hasn't made it big yet. But we think she will. If they're playing your town, go see a show- you won't be disappointed. Come see her with us and we'll buy you a drink.

oddlycalm
10-26-04, 02:16 PM
You know, there's always going to be some kind of lame, teenage-infested, bubblegum crap they call music out there.Agreed, but the acts you listed can all actually sing and/or play, even if we don't like them, Non-singers lip synching is way over the line. SNL booked the "act," and they deserve their share of scorn as well. The no-talent bimbo has become an industry fixture since MTV made appearence 95% of the equation, but I'm not sure where a no-talent bowser fits in. :laugh:

No way to count the real talents over the years that couldn't get a foot in the door of corporate music, or how many simply refused to become human jukeboxes, but there have been many thousands. Everyone here probably knows more than one. I've been interested in jazz since the early 60's, and even the top jazz talent has trouble surviving and most die in poverty. Good classical musicians are very lucky to make a starting teachers salary. It takes real guts to make the decision to go into the arts in the US, which is why we see parents giving their kids a musical education only to then try their best to talk their kids out of using it. The fact is the post-consolidation multi-nationals funnel $ millions to no talent nothings, while most of the greatest talents of our time will never realize their potential and perform in near obscurity.

oc

FTG
10-26-04, 02:59 PM
I do believe that the Simpson in question recorded the track she lip synched, where's as Milli Vanilli had others do the singing.

Who knows what she would sound like without a bunch of techno aids, but then again no one knows what a F1 driver would do without a bunch of techo aids either. (Personally, I think a lot of them have a hard time accelerating their street cars without tire spin, but I can't prove it.)

I always hated the bubble gum music, but it's like beer. You start on the crap stuff, and if you have any sophistication, you develop some taste. So I can't complain about 12 year olds who are listening to this crap. At least they're listening, and most of them will stop before they turn 16.

RacinM3
10-26-04, 04:49 PM
Who knows what she would sound like without a bunch of techno aids

I know! I know! And it wasn't pretty.

Rob
10-31-04, 08:45 PM
Tonight on CBS, 60 Minutes is discussing the incident and will take you behind the scenes of the show.

Clown
10-31-04, 09:50 PM
Tonight on CBS, 60 Minutes is discussing the incident and will take you behind the scenes of the show.WGAF? How about covering something newsworthy :rolleyes:
There's an election 1 week away......

Ankf00
10-31-04, 10:02 PM
don't think you're going to find open polling booths next sunday ;) :D

Rob
10-31-04, 10:17 PM
WGAF? How about covering something newsworthy :rolleyes:
There's an election 1 week away......
Do you have 60 Minutes in Australia?

It was actually a segment they had planned well in advance. Lesley Stahl was visiting the show that weekend to show how the program works behind the scenes. It just so happened that the Ashlee incident happened when she was there, so she asked Lorne Michaels about it in amongst all her other questions.

Sean O'Gorman
10-31-04, 10:26 PM
Do you have 60 Minutes in Australia?

I believe they air "Russell Crowe's Fightin' Around the World" instead. :laugh:

Clown
10-31-04, 10:53 PM
Do you have 60 Minutes in Australia?We get a local version. Sometimes we get US stories (usually celebrity/political interviews)

don't think you're going to find open polling booths next sunday ;) :DThey won't be open here anyway :p (they won't let us 'strailans vote, funny about that...)
Nov 2 - Ain't that a Tuesday? :saywhat:

Ankf00
10-31-04, 11:15 PM
I believe they air "Russell Crowe's Fightin' Around the World" instead. :laugh: