PDA

View Full Version : New Regulations

jonovision_man
10-22-04, 01:27 PM
http://f1.racing-live.com/en/headlines/news/detail/041022180354.shtml

2005:
- Tires to last entire weekend
- Aero changes - higher front wing, rear wing brought forward, reduced diffuser height, less bodywork in front of wheels (2005)
- Engine to last two weekends

2006:
- 2.4L V8 (or V10 with restrictions until 2007)

:shakehead sigh :shakehead

jono

Chaos
10-22-04, 01:41 PM
with tires lasting the entire weekend, they could potentially run all the races without any pit stops (assuming a larger fuel cell)

from the article: "...700 bhp compared to the 1000 bhp..."

wow...that's pretty dramatic. interesting that the current champcar motor will pump out more juice than the 2006 spec engine.

RichK
10-22-04, 01:43 PM
The cost-effective changes are set......Let the R&D money begin flowing! :laugh:

chop456
10-22-04, 02:03 PM
The cost-effective changes are set......Let the R&D money begin flowing! :laugh:

Exactly. Well done, Max. :shakehead

jonovision_man
10-22-04, 02:08 PM

No kidding... and with them coming out so late the push is really on.

jono

ilferrari
10-22-04, 03:55 PM
F1 cars, 2005 stylee:

http://www.itv-f1.com/ImageLibrary/31438_2.jpg

http://itvtest.haymarketmagazines.com/ImageLibrary/31439_2.jpg

Thanks alot Max.

The only regulation I agree with is the cut in engine capacity to 2.4 litre. The rest is terrible, like most of his meddling over the last 10 years

Rogue Leader
10-22-04, 05:31 PM
ok that looks like S****!

RacinM3
10-22-04, 07:02 PM
What are they going to do, confiscate the engines between the two races?

NoDoors NoDales
10-22-04, 07:03 PM
ok that looks like S****!
Yes it does. One question I have is why don't they get rid of the Carbon Fiber brakes...that would make things more challenging I think.

RTKar
10-22-04, 07:51 PM
Yes it does. One question I have is why don't they get rid of the Carbon Fiber brakes...that would make things more challenging I think.

...or make the cars manual shift, you know...with an old fashioned gear lever and clutch - cheap, easy and safe.

jonovision_man
10-22-04, 08:11 PM
What are they going to do, confiscate the engines between the two races?

I was wondering that too... there's no parc ferme between events! I highly doubt they'll just "trust" the teams. :)

And HOLY CRAP that's one ugly-ass Jordan. :( What is that rear wing??? :P Is that really to 2005 spec?

jono

Sean O'Gorman
10-22-04, 09:14 PM
I was wondering that too... there's no parc ferme between events! I highly doubt they'll just "trust" the teams. :)

http://www.biztronix.com.au/images/Can-o-worms-Web.jpg

Steve99
10-23-04, 12:44 AM
That profile shot is fugly.

ilferrari
10-23-04, 03:07 AM

Won't make much difference. Zanardi used them at Spa and Monza 1999 and was on the pace. If it can lock the wheel, then it can acheive maximum retardation.

gjc2
10-23-04, 08:44 AM
...or make the cars manual shift, you know...with an old fashioned gear lever and clutch - cheap, easy and safe.

The current computer controlled paddle shifting transmissions are much easier on the engine. It's impossible the select the wrong gear and over rev the engine. The idea of going back the clutch pedal/gear lever system has been addressed before. They claim the higher cost of the transmission is more than offset buy the savings in engines.

George

Forza Lancia
10-23-04, 11:02 AM
So we're back to (essentially) two and a half liters, just like they used in the late 1950's. Maybe McLaren can get special dispensation to run the in-line eight (http://www.ddavid.com/formula1/merc196.htm) that the Mercedes F1 cars used in those days...

pchall
10-23-04, 11:20 AM
So we're back to (essentially) two and a half liters, just like they used in the late 1950's. Maybe McLaren can get special dispensation to run the in-line eight (http://www.ddavid.com/formula1/merc196.htm) that the Mercedes F1 cars used in those days...

Does this mean that Renault will revive the transversely mounted straight eight of the much lamented final Bugatti grand prix car? And that Minardi and Jordan will use Coventry-Climax fours?

:p

Railbird
10-23-04, 11:22 AM
desmodramics acting as rev limiters.

pchall
10-23-04, 11:24 AM
desmodromics acting as rev limiters.

:rofl:

Maybe a Scarab could finally be competitive!

oddlycalm
10-23-04, 03:46 PM
Max's decisions seem to have gone from immaturity to senility without ever passing through a maturity phase. Yet another fine choice for motorsport management... :rolleyes:

oc

RTKar
10-23-04, 05:44 PM
The current computer controlled paddle shifting transmissions are much easier on the engine. It's impossible the select the wrong gear and over rev the engine. The idea of going back the clutch pedal/gear lever system has been addressed before. They claim the higher cost of the transmission is more than offset buy the savings in engines.

George

True may it be with the current generation engine, however the specs are changing towards a more durable form. I really don't know how feasible any change would be then. Manual shifting would also help put the driver back into the equation....(also, didn't Sato over rev his engine several times?)

TedN
10-23-04, 06:48 PM
On today's TSN live qualifying show, Gerry Donaldson reported from the track that a press release from the FIA has been issued in the press room stating the qualifying next year will be held in 2 segments. The first 1-hour session on Saturday. The second 1-hour session on Sunday morning with aggregate times determining the final grid positions.

Ted

gjc2
10-23-04, 07:51 PM
didn't Sato over rev his engine several times?

I don’t know the cause of the major engine failures Sato had this year. If they were due to over revving the engine I would think there had to be a problem with the cars electronics. With an H pattern shifter selecting the wrong gear is easy, with a ratchet type shifter it’s still possible, but with the system F1 cars use it shouldn’t be possible, as long as the system is working properly. Personally I would like to see the return of clutch pedal/shift lever type shifting.

George

The Doctor
10-24-04, 02:12 AM
Not so fast.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns13741.html

The Formula 1 team principals have been going from meeting to meeting all weekend but on Saturday afternoon the future of the sport suddenly began to look rosy again as the majority of the teams decided that enough is enough and that things need to change for the good of the sport. For most of the day the discussion had been about a deal to switch the sport to a control tyre and to restrict testing. Gradually the teams have signed one by one. The deal is for there to be free testing in the winter months but then only 10 days during the F1 season plus four hours on Friday after each Grand Prix. The teams agreed that his would have an important effect on the costs involved in the sport. But they agreed that if th testing and tyres could be restricted they would be willing to do an18th and a 19th race in 2005.

And then.
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns13742.html

With five minutes to go before Paul Stoddart broke the news about the agreement of all the teams to cut costs with control tyres and reduced testing, Peter Sauber decided that he had to sign the document, giving the proposal nine votes out of 10 and leaving Ferrari, Sauber's engine supplier, completely isolated on the issue of cost-cutting. In addition Ferrari is left as the block on the British and French Grands Prix.

Finally.

Paul Stoddart announced in Brazil on Saturday evening that nine of the 10 Formula 1 teams have agreed to what he calls "a significant step forward" in cost-cutting with a proposal to have a control tyre and reduce testing dramatically.

"This is the first move towards achieving the goal of reducing the necessity to spend enormous sums of money in order to be competitive in Formula 1," said Stoddart. "Such a course of action will ensure the continued long term health of the sport and its participants."
At a meeting of the teams on Saturday it was agreed that they would compete in 19 events next year if the proposals outlined were accepted.

The proposal calls for a control tyre to be organised and testing to be restricted to 10 days during the F1 season.