PDA

View Full Version : World Series question

RacinM3
10-21-04, 04:34 PM
What determines home field advantage? It's apparently not number of reg. season wins. TIA.

devilmaster
10-21-04, 04:37 PM
All star game winner, wasn't it? They put that in to try and make the allstar game not so ho-hum....

Didn't they start that last year?

Steve

Wheel-Nut
10-21-04, 04:38 PM
I think it rotates year to year. AL one year, NL the next. I could be wrong.

RacinM3
10-21-04, 04:41 PM
It makes sense that it rotates every year. Is it because of the DH rule?

devilmaster
10-21-04, 04:49 PM
http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/la/news/la_news.jsp?ymd=20030526&content_id=337849&vkey=news_la&fext=.jsp

After last year's debacle, when the All-Star Game ended in a tie because the teams ran out of pitchers, the owners believed they needed to restore the glory of and the interest in the All-Star Game. They proposed and the Players' Association accepted a two-year experiment that gives the winner of the All-Star Game the home-field advantage in the World Series.

Steve

RacinM3
10-21-04, 04:52 PM
Cool, thanks Steve.....Google is my friend, it led me to this: http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/caple_jim/1580703.html

That's why Bud Selig and baseball made the right call when they decided the league winning Tuesday's All-Star Game will get home-field advantage during the World Series. Short of putting a bounty on Jason Giambi's head, this is the surest way to make the All-Star Game important again.

JoeBob
10-21-04, 05:20 PM
Does it matter? I thought Boston already won the world series.

Or maybe that's just how their fans are acting.

Will that anger the Bambino?

rabbit
10-21-04, 05:25 PM
Will that anger the Bambino?He's just teasing them. Don't worry. The other shoe is about to fall. We'll find out who the World Series champion is going to be tonight. ;)

Go 'stros/Cards (whoever wins)!!

Ankf00
10-21-04, 06:06 PM
He's just teasing them. Don't worry. The other shoe is about to fall. We'll find out who the World Series champion is going to be tonight. ;)

Go 'stros/Cards (whoever wins)!!

'stros!

dando
10-21-04, 06:44 PM
'stros!
Guess that means the Cards will win. ;)

-Kevin

Ankf00
10-21-04, 10:35 PM
Guess that means the Cards will win. ;)

-Kevin

betting against me is the safest $ ever these days :gomer: :(

Ankf00
10-21-04, 11:23 PM
see? :(

dando
10-21-04, 11:56 PM
betting against me is the safest $ ever these days :gomer: :(
I'd never bet against you, Ank....just never on the 'horns. ;)

I was kinda hoping to see the Rocket face the Sox, but it ain't looking good. If the Cards bring in Izzy, never say never.

-Kevin

dando
10-22-04, 10:19 AM
I'd never bet against you, Ank....just never on the 'horns. ;)

I was kinda hoping to see the Rocket face the Sox, but it ain't looking good. If the Cards bring in Izzy, never say never.

-Kevin
Wow, that's odd. I posted that 45 minutes earlier, and it appeared before Ank's post. I check this AM, and my post is last @ ~11:56pm. Heck I was in bed by then. Put that in your list of stupid thread tricks...

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
10-22-04, 10:31 AM
I noticed that happened to me in a thread too, and I saw a post yesterday that nrc made that was an hour into the future.

Ankf00
10-22-04, 10:46 AM
I noticed that happened to me in a thread too, and I saw a post yesterday that nrc made that was an hour into the future.

that doesn't count, everyone already knows your posts are the first to be nuked, it's common knowledge.

KaBoom21
10-22-04, 03:05 PM
The BoSox have Clemens to thank for the home field advantage since he was the starting All Star pitcher and got shelled in a loss.

nrc
10-22-04, 03:23 PM
I think something funky may have been going on with the server clock last night. At one point I noticed times on posts were an hour ahead and I double checked my timezone to make sure it was set right.

Cart Champion
10-26-04, 09:08 PM
The winner of the All-Star game determines the home field advantage in the World Series.

chop456
10-27-04, 01:11 AM
The winner of the All-Star game determines the home field advantage in the World Series.

Hey, thanks! :D

The All-star deal is a screw job. Your advantage (or disadvantage), should be earned by your team, not an all-star team. If they want to restore interest in the game, try having some fan-friendly players that people don't hate.

devilmaster
10-27-04, 01:17 AM
ouch choppy. Very ouch. :shakehead

May I direct your attention to post 2 and 5 of this thread. Thank you.

Steve
;) :D

Ziggy
10-27-04, 01:19 AM
hater :D

I love it when a guy has lived in America for ten years still cant speak English

Boat Trip Home???? :thumbup:

chop456
10-27-04, 01:24 AM
ouch choppy. Very ouch. :shakehead

May I direct your attention to post 2 and 5 of this thread. Thank you.

Steve
;) :D

I was being sarcastic with regard to the rnofty-esque news flash, my friend. :p

devilmaster
10-27-04, 01:42 AM
I was being sarcastic with regard to the rnofty-esque news flash, my friend. :p

Oh.

Well then, carry on.

;)
Steve

Ankf00
10-27-04, 01:45 AM
Hey I just heard Pedro hates puppies...

and Jesus!!!

anait
10-27-04, 09:48 AM
K, maybe mr anait and I were the only ones who this bothered, but :saywhat: what was up with the goofy music they played while Boston was being introduced???!!! Sounded like a cross between Up With People and a TV game show. Not that there's anything wrong with those things, but still... :eek:

St Louis got the usual ballpark-sounding organ music, 'now that's what we're supposed to hear' I thought. Were they trying to throw the Sox with a dorky (IMHO) soundtrack??

(anait hopes the Sox didn't bring their own music... :D )

dando
10-27-04, 12:29 PM
Hey I just heard Pedro hates puppies...

and Jesus!!!
Ank, I assume you had the Cards winning this? ;)

-Kevin

Ankf00
10-27-04, 11:56 PM
the upside to the Ghost of Rick James winning a ring...

the baseball staff of SI and ESPN will have to find new material to write about all year long

CART T. Katz
10-28-04, 12:03 AM
as a cubs fan i must say...

(ahem)

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! !!!!

HOW DID THAT TASTE SAINT LOUISE! :laugh: :laugh: :rofl: :rofl:

Jervis Tetch 1
10-28-04, 12:24 AM
Ah, but at least St. Louis has been there!

You know Rogers Hornsby, Enos Slaughter, "Sunny" Jim Bottomly, Grover C. Alexander, Curt Flood, Dizzy Dean, Ducky Medwick, Leo Durocher, Pepper Martin, Frankie Frisch and Johnnie Mize all must be turning over in their collective graves now.

Bob Gibson, John Tudor, Keith Hernandez, Mike Shannon, Julian Javier, Orlando Cepeda, Stan The Man, Mark McGwire, Ted Simmons, Hell even Tim McCarver must be pulling their hair out over this debacle, the worst showing by a St. Louis team since the Yankees swept them in 1926.

There's no excuse for it. What they need is some pitching. Hey, they have the bucks. Go after Pedro. Go after Lowe. *****, if you can't beat them buy them and have them play on your team.

And Red Sox fans. Act like you've won it before. Don't burn your town and riot or loot.

Oh, that's right. You've never won it before. :gomer:

cart7
10-28-04, 07:49 AM
It should have been pretty clear what the problem is/was with the Cardinals after last nights game... Lousy managing and a poorly prepared ballclub.

I swear, the Cards were in a do or die game but LaRussa managed that game like it was just one in a best of 15 series. Even Joe Buck and McCarver made on air mention about the decisions LaRussa was making.

F'ing incredible. :shakehead

Ankf00
10-28-04, 08:07 AM
"When you get to the endzone, act like you've been there before."
-Darryl K. Royal :D

dando
10-28-04, 12:51 PM
as a cubs fan i must say...

(ahem)

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! !!!!

HOW DID THAT TASTE SAINT LOUISE!
Uh....96 years and counting, Cubbies fan. :p

Chisox are next @ 87 years. The pale hose deserve the drought after 1919.

-Kevin

devilmaster
10-28-04, 01:06 PM
I swear, the Cards were in a do or die game but LaRussa managed that game like it was just one in a best of 15 series. Even Joe Buck and McCarver made on air mention about the decisions LaRussa was making.

Watched LaRussa's post game press conference...

some reporter asks a question along these lines: 'Mr. LaRussa, regardless of the 4 game sweep in the series, can you now take this time to give us a summary of the entire season?'

Swear to God, Tony sat there for over a minute before he started talking. He looked totally shell shocked. Thought he was going to retire right there. He looked so out of place I actually felt bad for him.

Steve

B3RACER1a
10-28-04, 06:57 PM
I would blame it all on the pitching. In games 1 and 2, yes the pitching was horrible. Game 3 was just ok, but game 4 the pitching was fairly good.
I think it came down to our hitting, or lack there of. The only decent hitting was game 1, it was all downhill from there.

Our defense was the only good thing we had going.

cart7
10-28-04, 09:00 PM
I would blame it all on the pitching. In games 1 and 2, yes the pitching was horrible. Game 3 was just ok, but game 4 the pitching was fairly good.
I think it came down to our hitting, or lack there of. The only decent hitting was game 1, it was all downhill from there.

Our defense was the only good thing we had going.

The pitching was sucking all the way back into the Astro's series. The Cards might as well have said

"You guys go ahead and sit out the first inning and we'll go ahead and spot you one or two runs."

Ankf00
10-29-04, 04:04 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/jacob_luft/10/28/redsox.empire/index.html

"The Red Sox have the largest payroll -- $120 million -- of any team ever to win a World Series. If you ever have accused a team of buying a championship, then that same charge has to apply to these Red Sox as well. With that much to spend, the surprise should be if they don't win a championship or at least come close every year."

"Torre's champions, while highly compensated, also had more than a few homegrown players on them. Derek Jeter, Jorge Posada, Mariano Rivera, Bernie Williams and Andy Pettitte were drafted and developed by Evil Empire, Inc.

How many among the Red Sox regulars can be considered "homegrown?" Trot Nixon and, if you want to count him, rookie Kevin Youkilis (two at-bats this postseason)."

Insomniac
11-01-04, 10:53 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/jacob_luft/10/28/redsox.empire/index.html

"The Red Sox have the largest payroll -- $120 million -- of any team ever to win a World Series. If you ever have accused a team of buying a championship, then that same charge has to apply to these Red Sox as well. With that much to spend, the surprise should be if they don't win a championship or at least come close every year."

"Torre's champions, while highly compensated, also had more than a few homegrown players on them. Derek Jeter, Jorge Posada, Mariano Rivera, Bernie Williams and Andy Pettitte were drafted and developed by Evil Empire, Inc.

How many among the Red Sox regulars can be considered "homegrown?" Trot Nixon and, if you want to count him, rookie Kevin Youkilis (two at-bats this postseason)."

And this matters how?

Dave99
11-02-04, 12:07 AM
Time for an asteriksk...

*It should be noted that the Boston Red Sox's 2004 WS Championship team had the highest payroll of any team in the major league, negating them of any credibility of said WSC.

**Any WS Championships the New York Yankees have won with the highest paid roster, be it through free agency acquisitions or re-signings, stand on their own merit. Of course.

Ankf00
11-02-04, 02:03 AM
Time for an asteriksk...

*It should be noted that the Boston Red Sox's 2004 WS Championship team had the highest payroll of any team in the major league, negating them of any credibility of said WSC.

**Any WS Championships the New York Yankees have won with the highest paid roster, be it through free agency acquisitions or re-signings, stand on their own merit. Of course.

*shrug* ppl bitch non stop about yankee $ buying rings, so those hypocrites can suck it down. the only thing holding boston back the past 5-8 years has been lame ass GM's and an utter lack of execution

Sean O'Gorman
11-02-04, 11:36 AM
I'm more irritated by the fact that suddenly everyone became a Red Sox fan two weeks ago more than I'm bothered by their payroll. :rolleyes:

Insomniac
11-03-04, 01:43 PM
*shrug* ppl bitch non stop about yankee $ buying rings, so those hypocrites can suck it down. the only thing holding boston back the past 5-8 years has been lame ass GM's and an utter lack of execution

That's because the Yankees had the highest payroll in MLB. Boston had the 2nd highest this year (which also happens to be higher than the 2000 Yankees payroll). Rest assured, if/when the Yankees win again they will have the highest payroll for a WS team. It's absolutely ridiculous for any Yankee fan to complain about payroll.

Insomniac
11-03-04, 01:44 PM
I'm more irritated by the fact that suddenly everyone became a Red Sox fan two weeks ago more than I'm bothered by their payroll. :rolleyes:

Hehehe.

Ankf00
11-03-04, 01:58 PM
That's because the Yankees had the highest payroll in MLB. Boston had the 2nd highest this year (which also happens to be higher than the 2000 Yankees payroll). Rest assured, if/when the Yankees win again they will have the highest payroll for a WS team. It's absolutely ridiculous for any Yankee fan to complain about payroll.
:laugh: I don't care about payroll dude, and I'm not complaining about it, I'm just bringing it up b/c it happens to be everyone's favorite scapegoat the past 4 years.
I find it laughable that so many ppl bitch about payroll when teams in or near the bottom third of that category have won 3 of the last 4 series, and now the ever innocent red sox win using the same tactics their management ridiculed so much. :gomer:
But hey, when a team loses, blame payroll, don't blame the management/players ;)

Insomniac
11-03-04, 03:48 PM
:laugh: I don't care about payroll dude, and I'm not complaining about it, I'm just bringing it up b/c it happens to be everyone's favorite scapegoat the past 4 years.
I find it laughable that so many ppl bitch about payroll when teams in or near the bottom third of that category have won 3 of the last 4 series, and now the ever innocent red sox win using the same tactics their management ridiculed so much. :gomer:
But hey, when a team loses, blame payroll, don't blame the management/players ;)

The past 4 years? The Yankees haven't won a WS in the past 4 years. :P The Red Sox only once publicly ridiculed the Yankee spending. That was after they got A-Rod when the Red Sox couldn't over $12-$14M. Yes, it is almost akin to the pot calling the kettle black, but the disparity was still $60M. The fact is, the Yankees have the most revenue and the deepest pockets. With no salary cap, they can and do spend as much as they want. No other team can keep up, so people are always going to complain. Everyone will always complain about the team at the top. The Yankees were at the top by a wide margin, not the Red Sox. Yes, they spent a lot, but not the most. Therefore they won't be the target that the Yankees are. When the Red Sox spend more than everyone in MLB, then everyone will complain about them. Until then, every other team is trying to keep up with the Yankees. Only the top spender is accused of buying championships. It's the price you pay to win so many. Be happy with the 26 championships and let Red Sox Nation enjoy theirs. :)

Ankf00
11-03-04, 03:56 PM
so many pertinent Lebowski quotes, so little time :rofl:
sorry, I'm still bitter :)

Jervis Tetch 1
11-04-04, 10:14 AM
I'm more irritated by the fact that suddenly everyone became a Red Sox fan two weeks ago more than I'm bothered by their payroll. :rolleyes:No Red Sux fan here. In fact they are my most hated team :flame:

Enjoy it now Sux fans. See you in 2090.

Insomniac
11-04-04, 08:11 PM
No Red Sux fan here. In fact they are my most hated team :flame:

Enjoy it now Sux fans. See you in 2090.

If you're a Yankees fan, Year 2000! Year 2000! :P