PDA

View Full Version : Tilke magic in Mexico

The Doctor
10-21-04, 12:07 PM
Cancun, October 2006. Confirmed today, announced Monday.

http://www.autoypista.com/imagenes/noticias/original/img_1_4532.jpg

Cam
10-21-04, 12:38 PM
WTF? :saywhat:

FTG
10-21-04, 01:14 PM
The course looks like a mushroom. It must be a joke.

FCYTravis
10-21-04, 01:23 PM
Holy Christ. You can't be serious??

ilferrari
10-21-04, 02:15 PM
The course resembles what he must have been taking when designing it.

another half-road, half-superspeedway course? I guess we'll see more of these, despite the fact the F1 runners have to risk their lives on these curves. These people can then run any kind of series and make more $$$. Actually the shape of the course I guess is to save space and increase viewing. Wonder how much Bernie is getting.

devilmaster
10-21-04, 02:22 PM
I have a really hard time thinking Tilke would design that, if only for one point.

The curve at the top of the 'mushroom' for loss of a better word (or call it the charlotte curve). Tilke usually doesn't build high speed curves. That curve is right in front of the grandstand, no runoff area.

Steve

Steve99
10-21-04, 03:44 PM
That look's like ISC Daytona with an outfield road course. :saywhat:

FTG
10-21-04, 03:50 PM
I have a really hard time thinking Tilke would design that, if only for one point.

The curve at the top of the 'mushroom' for loss of a better word (or call it the charlotte curve). Tilke usually doesn't build high speed curves. That curve is right in front of the grandstand, no runoff area.

Steve

Agreed. Way too dangerous for F1. Heck, just one turn at the brickyard messed up Ralf.

4wheeldrifter
10-21-04, 04:34 PM
Maybe the FIA will impose barn door wings and rev-limiters. He||, Juan could even have his grammy take a spin in his new Micky-Merc. :cool:

nrc
10-21-04, 05:02 PM
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/10/21/sports1418EDT6182.DTL

If that track map comes to fruition I hope Champ car can get an oval event there. I can't imagine the banking would be much if they're going to use it as part of the F1 circuit.

JohnHKart
10-21-04, 06:00 PM
Yeah I don't get it......Another Charlotte and Texas cookie cutter track but for F1?

John

Sean O'Gorman
10-21-04, 07:12 PM
Just think, the IRL can race in the little circle in between the pits and the S/F line. :thumbup:

nissan gtp
10-21-04, 07:51 PM
Tilke is the Chris Bangle of racetracks :thumdown:

this is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of.

Ankf00
10-21-04, 11:22 PM
another excuse to go south of the border to fornicate with young impressionable 18 year old bitches from north of the border? I should call my meathead buddy Mike from school, he'll be on the first flight in...

JohnHKart
10-22-04, 06:26 AM
another excuse to go south of the border to fornicate with young impressionable 18 year old bitches from north of the border? I should call my meathead buddy Mike from school, he'll be on the first flight in...

That's funny I've always prefered the "young impressionable 18 year old bitches" that are from south of the border when I get there. :)

John

pchall
10-23-04, 11:51 AM
Tilke must have been in the Osco parking lot snorting with TG to "design" that.

oddlycalm
10-23-04, 04:02 PM
Tilke is the Chris Bangle of racetracks :thumdown: Exactly right. Send both of them to General Motors where their work will be appreciated.

oc

Ankf00
10-23-04, 04:05 PM
Exactly right. Send both of them to General Motors where their work will be appreciated.

oc

:rofl:

KLang
10-24-04, 07:10 PM
Here (http://img52.exs.cx/img52/2823/PistaCancn.jpg) us a graphic showing where the track is supposed to be built. I wonder how they plan to get all the fans out there from the Hotel Zone?

FWIW AR1 says Forsythe may be involved with this.

nrc
10-24-04, 07:27 PM
FWIW AR1 says Forsythe may be involved with this.

I sure hope so. Otherwise, with Champ car's success in Mexico you know TG is bound to come sniffing around.

chop456
10-26-04, 01:57 AM
http://f1.racing-live.com/en/headlines/news/detail/041025215738.shtml

[25/10/04 - 21:53]

Formula One set for Mexican return
In 2006... or 2007?
Ecclestone to add another GP?

Mexico has been awarded a Formula One Grand Prix after a 12 year hiatus, it was announced by Mexican authorities on Monday. The inaugural Grand Prix will be held in 2006 in the eastern resort of Cancun with the contract running till 2010 according to the investors.

"We concluded our negotiations to organise a Grand prix in Cancun from 2006-2010 with the Formula One authorities on October 7," revealed Luis Silveira, a representative of the group who are willing to invest in the race which is likely to cost 70-80 million dollars. "The likely date for the race will be in October," he added.

However Pasquale Lattuanedu, assistant to Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone, told AFP on Friday that he believed the Grand Prix would be in 2007 at the earliest.

"The Mexican Grand Prix will return to our country after a 12 year absence," beamed Artemio Santos, minister of tourism for Quintana Roo, the state where Cancun lies. The last Mexican Grand Prix was won by British driver Nigel Mansell on the Rodriguez brothers circuit at 2,600 metres altitude.

The new circuit, which will be designed by German Hermann Tilke, who was the mastermind behind the Shanghai and Bahrain courses, will be five kilometres long in the shape of an 'M'.

The costs will be met by private companies while the 380 hectares of land for the circuit has been donated by the local council.

jonovision_man
10-26-04, 08:59 AM
The new circuit, which will be designed by German Hermann Tilke, who was the mastermind behind the Shanghai and Bahrain courses, will be five kilometres long in the shape of an 'M'.

The costs will be met by private companies while the 380 hectares of land for the circuit has been donated by the local council.

I guess that track diagram is for something else then??

jono

Cam
10-26-04, 09:19 AM

jono

"M" for Mushroom? :saywhat: :gomer:

Ankf00
10-26-04, 09:39 AM
beach + college girls + too much alcohol + F1 race == best weekend ever. EVER!

chop456
10-26-04, 11:13 AM

jono

Hmmm.

nrc
10-27-04, 10:52 PM
Robin Miller rumor via paddocktalk:

Robin Miller has recently stated that Forsythe's opinion of the matter goes a little something like this..."I'll believe it when I see it," said Forsythe. "That city couldn't come up with $3 million for us, how can they afford F1? You know Bernie (Ecclestone) isn't spending any money."