PDA

View Full Version : ABC and the earl

KLang
10-21-04, 10:04 AM
I see elsewhere that for 2005 ABC is reducing their coverage to 7 races, with the rest on ESPN. This is a real popular decision over at TF. :laugh:

If the CBS/ChampCar rumor is true, the perceived earl TV advantage is gone. Score 1 for the good guys. :)

JLMannin
10-21-04, 12:02 PM
I wonder how many of the irl ESPN races end up on ESPN2.

spinner26
10-21-04, 12:56 PM

Most if not all......... :laugh:

DaveL
10-21-04, 12:58 PM
It's called the chickens coming home to roost. ABC knows a loser when it sees one and is acting accordingly. The sub 1.0 ratings the Earl is getting on ABC cannot justify network broadcasts. It's just another sign of how the Earl is a failure with the fans.

Anyone want to start a pool on the year the 500 is on ESPN?

LUCKYROLLSTEAM
10-21-04, 02:29 PM
Man if that ever happened (The 500 on espn) Champ Car fans would have a party in the streets.

Steve99
10-21-04, 02:29 PM

It won't matter since nobody watches either way.

nrc
10-22-04, 12:27 AM
Wow. Only one of their network races is before the IRL 500 when ratings are tend to be higher. Most of the network races are at the end of the summer when ratings tend to drop off, including two in football season.

JLMannin
10-22-04, 12:02 PM
Wow. Only one of their network races is before the IRL 500 when ratings are tend to be higher. Most of the network races are at the end of the summer when ratings tend to drop off, including two in football season.

Perhaps ABC did that on purpose to leave time slots open for programming with higher ratings when there is no competition with the NFL

RacinM3
10-22-04, 04:19 PM
DaveL, a better bet would be: Which comes first: the I500 going to ESPN, or the I500 being run with stock cars?

Jag_Warrior
10-22-04, 05:10 PM
Which comes first: the I500 going to ESPN, or the I500 being run with stock cars?

Either is an even bet over the next ten years. But that's a tough one...

Good job, Tony! :thumbup:

BTW... I've never been much of a gambler, but I wish we'd gotten together a pool for Indy ratings these past few years. Unless Jessica Simpson does the National Anthem (and it's about 34 degrees outside ;) ) and Jeff Gordon and Dale, Jr. are in the race, I'd go with a 3.9 for 2005.

Ziggy
10-22-04, 11:11 PM
I think we could see a total collapse of Open Wheel Racing in, er, We all ready have :mad:

Indy 500 will be on ESPN before the decade hits double digits (read six years)

Tony gotter fixed 'bout good. There are no casual fans, they are now NASCAR fans

I have a vision
I kill Openwheel Racing and the Indianapolis 500 in one fell swoop
Ever see anything IRL related go for big money on Ebay? didnt think so
Thanks Tony.

RTKar
10-23-04, 02:07 AM
I think we could see a total collapse of Open Wheel Racing in, er, We all ready have :mad:

Ever see anything IRL related go for big money on Ebay? didnt think so
Thanks Tony.

Keep looking Zig, maybe the track will be on it soon.

JohnHKart
10-23-04, 05:35 AM
Also read rumours that Broadcaster acting like a Kindergarten Teacher Scott Goodyear is gone.

John

SurfaceUnits
10-30-04, 10:35 AM
I read that Honda will soon own the speedway and rename it mONtegI-eAsT

TorontoWorker
11-03-04, 09:06 PM
Disney is in trouble - they have a lame duck CEO who won't or can't understand that he needs to leave now. The ABC section of the company is not holding up it's end of the profit part of the pie. Every part of the operation is being reviewed and ABC Sports is one of the weaker areas that is getting a bit of attention from the bean counters.

Autoracing has always been a bit of a loss leader on most networks and more so now that the numbers are so low for the IRL that ABC could make more money or in fact lose LESS money by showing a test pattern.

If half the races are on ESPN instead of over the air ABC, this means that there must have been a clause in the contract that kicked in with the latest next to nothing TV numbers in order for this to happen.

I'm willing to bet that without the NASCAB race from Indy that ABC wouldn't even be involved with the IRL, Indy 500 or no Indy 500.

The vision is so bright I gotta wear shades... :rofl:

JohnHKart
11-04-04, 06:58 AM
I'm willing to bet that without the NASCAB race from Indy that ABC wouldn't even be involved with the IRL, Indy 500 or no Indy 500.

The vision is so bright I gotta wear shades... :rofl:

Do you mean that just because Nascab is at Indy that ABC thinks Nascab fans will tune in the 500? The Brickyard 400 hasn't aired on ABC since August 2000.

John

TorontoWorker
11-04-04, 11:27 PM
Do you mean that just because Nascab is at Indy that ABC thinks Nascab fans will tune in the 500? The Brickyard 400 hasn't aired on ABC since August 2000.

John

Your right John, my bad. So therefore... local stations will should show movie reruns or infomercials instead.