PDA

View Full Version : "It reminds me of CART,"

racer2c
10-19-04, 03:44 PM
...said Toyota Racing Development president Jim Aust.

Really? I wonder why? :rolleyes:

Millers commentary this week on Speed. (http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/13495/)

nrc
10-19-04, 04:02 PM
Toyota is kidding itself if it thinks the results from a season of pedal-mash-a-thons has anything to do with the driver line-up. Just skip the races entirely. Run the motors on a dyno and then draw randomly from the top five numbers and you'll end up with the same results.

My advice to Toyota. Start working on convincing Tony that Honda is cheating. Get a last minute rule change for Indy next year and watch Robert Clarke spin into orbit.

Footnote: Kelly is closiing it's doors. Surprise, surprise.

DaveL
10-19-04, 04:16 PM
Nice to see those IRL cost controls are working so well.

RichK
10-19-04, 04:54 PM
"It reminds me of CART,"

....without the excitement, fans, international following, prestige, high-tech image, great-sounding cars that are difficult to drive, etc.

oddlycalm
10-19-04, 06:42 PM
"It reminds me of CART,"

....without the excitement, fans, international following, prestige, high-tech image, great-sounding cars that are difficult to drive, etc.

:rofl: :thumbup:

JohnHKart
10-19-04, 06:50 PM
"It reminds me of CART,"

Exactly and you left out: great sounding cars that look sleek, modern and are the best looking race cars on the planet, replaced by utterly horrible Indy Lights look alikes, (that look alot worse), commonly known as "crapwagons"

John

stroker
10-19-04, 07:12 PM
<banging head into wall>

How can you justify spending that kind of money on a series THAT NOBODY IS WATCHING...?

Jeezuz... how much money does Toyota HAVE?

I just don't get it.

Sean O'Gorman
10-19-04, 07:31 PM
Jeezuz... how much money does Toyota HAVE?

Trust me, you don't want to know.

http://www.fool.com/News/mft/2004/mft04100109.htm

Case in point: a story in The Wall Street Journal last week about how Toyota has so much cash on its balance sheet that it is taking over some of the functions of the Japanese central bank, becoming the lender of last resort to Japanese companies in dire financial straits. When a company starts taking on the attributes, and fulfilling the functions, of a nation state, look out -- you're dealing with a Rule Maker

Jervis Tetch 1
10-19-04, 11:58 PM
Playa del Racing?

Did you notice that one of the owners was Gary Sallee, a former owner of the defunct ISM Racing team?

You can bet that with Sallee in control, Playa del Racing won't even get off the ground and if they do, they won't win, won't come close to it and will finish as a one-shot deal for the year.

:shakehead

devilmaster
10-20-04, 12:13 AM
"It reminds me of CART,"

This is the new vision spin. They're going to call it CART to muddy the waters even more. "Champcar isn't CART, we're CART.... " :rolleyes:

"Whyfor did you splash my poor old hide, in old man river....... when I bought a low seat?"

Steve

Winston Wolfe
10-20-04, 01:26 AM
Toyota showed all of the integrity they have when the "bought: Gan******* and his TCGR efforts with Obi-Juan and Jeemy after the 1999 Championship season, and then had the nerve to proclaim them as "Toyota Powered Championship Winning Racing Team"..... for which they pissed off the #1 Japanese guy at Honda so badly, he was gonna go after the #1 guy at Toyota at a New Model Intro show..... Now that is an off the track battle I would have like to have seen !!!!

F-Toyota
F- TCGR
F - Fata$$i

cart7
10-20-04, 05:24 AM
"We want the best guys available, regardless of their nationality," said Les Unger, national motorsports manager for Toyota Motor Sales.

The price of running up front in the IRL continues to esculate -- just like the competition -- so Toyota knows it's got to ante up.

"It reminds me of CART," said Aust, whose company led the defection with Penske from Champ Car after capturing the 2001 championship. "The IRL is making similiar requirements to be competitive so we had to step back and consider our position.

"You have to decide whether you want to be competitive or just be here. We got into this series to win so we're going to move forward, make changes and be competitive again.

These final paragraphs are followed by....

KELLEY CLOSING DOORS

It's obvious what Toyota thought about Kelley's efforts the last 2 years. ;)