PDA

View Full Version : Andretti "the lesser" vs. Pops

Winston Wolfe
10-16-04, 07:49 PM
I was bumping around at the SEMAShow.org website for the drivers appearances while I am going to be there, and I found this interesting tidbit listed on the bios for Mario and his son, "The Whiner", "The Lesser" MAndretti, if you will, who are going to be appearing at the same booth, albeit at different times during Nov 3rd....

Found it interesting.

MA "Pops" : (Below is a quote)
"Only Driver to Win the Daytona 500, Indianapolis 500 and Formula 1 World Championship. Four Time Champ Car National Champion"
(Appearance at)
Praxis Advanced Suspensions/Bridgestone Americas (Booth # 23067)

Then, there is MA "The Lesser" MA - also a quote from the site.

"Owner of Andretti Green Racing, Finished in Top Ten of Cart Championship 17 of 18 Years on the Circuit, Won Cart Title in 1991"

(Appearance at)
Praxis Advanced Suspensions/Bridgestone Americas (Booth # 23067)

The forgot to put "Whiner Extroidinaire", "Yen sucking traitor", and "Backstabbing has-been". All of his accomplishments are listed, are from CART - the series who "made" him.... They also forgot "Complete Failure in last American attempt at F1, with legitimate team"

I recall seeing him lat SEMA ast year, sitting at a table, doing his time, signing calendars near the booth where Kimi Raikkonen was providing the audience with a "brilliant" oratory on the finer points of driving the McLaren Mercedes, and actually appearing animated in some instances.... and Mikey just couldn't even crack a smile when people were shoving things under his pen for a signature.... he barely made eye contact with people. Since I am sure that he was not there on his own valition, and was probably handsomely compensated by someone, it just furthered my already negative opinion of him.... and to see him do it live, rather that just in front of a camera, was perfect proof.... :(

Mikey should take a few lessons from King Richard, who sat at the Petty Driving Experience Booth at the SEMA show for at least 45 minutes, smiled, chatted with everyone, and had to listed to just about every person in line tell him how great he is, what a pleasure it was to meet him, and recall certain moments in various races over the years that meant so much to them.... Richard is a class act, and his autographed 1970 Superbird sits proudly on my shelf in my home office, from last years show.... :)

FMA - the lesser.

NoDoors NoDales
10-16-04, 07:53 PM
I've seen the Andretti's so many times I could care less about them If I walked right passes them. Big deal :thumdown:

Anteater
10-16-04, 09:39 PM
Mikey is a colossal sourpuss; I never could figure out how he won that "Most Popular Driver" award at least twice, when so many drivers had it all over him in the charisma department. :shakehead

B Real
10-18-04, 11:26 AM
Mikey should take a few lessons from King Richard, who sat at the Petty Driving Experience Booth at the SEMA show for at least 45 minutes, smiled, chatted with everyone, and had to listed to just about every person in line tell him how great he is, what a pleasure it was to meet him, and recall certain moments in various races over the years that meant so much to them.... Richard is a class act, and his autographed 1970 Superbird sits proudly on my shelf in my home office, from last years show.... :)

FMA - the lesser.

Richard Petty always treated the media and fans very well. I remember him saying that whether you win, lose or crash your work day is over but the guy coming up to you with a camera, microphone or notepad is just starting his work day.

As far as the fans go, he always told Kyle to remember that the fans were what made it possible for him to him to earn a living. I believe Kyle has always treated fans and media well too.

Too bad Mikey didn't listen to his father.

RaceGrrl
10-18-04, 12:45 PM
I've seen the Andretti's so many times I could care less about them If I walked right passes them. Big deal :thumdown:

I don't care a bit about Mikey, but every time I pass Mario, I'm still awed by all he's accomplished in motorsports. Mario IS a big deal. Doesn't mean you have to act like a superfan, but there's not a thing wrong with having a tremendous amount of respect for America's greatest living racer.

Michaelhatesfans
10-18-04, 01:49 PM
I don't have anything to add, I just thought that my name should appear in this thread. :cool:

Ozarkian
10-18-04, 01:52 PM
Michael seems to have the attitude of the stereotypical second generation - born on third base but thinks he hit a triple.

Just like Tony George.

oddlycalm
10-18-04, 08:03 PM
Michael seems to have the attitude of the stereotypical second generation - born on third base but thinks he hit a triple.

Just like Tony George.Yep, that sense of entitlement is a big part of who both mikey and TG are. No thought of giving back to the fans that pay for everything let alone service to the sport. Not all of the 2nd and 3rd generation are so afflicted, but many are.

I rode on a flight with one of mikey's crew back in the mid-80's and he had nothing good to say about the guy. Stories about Mikey causing injury to a crew member and not even a brief "sorry" passed his lips. I never cared for the guy and was happy when he left the series. His dad was twice the driver and 10 times the person mikey is.

oc

Wally
10-19-04, 04:54 PM
Speaking of the lesser I see he is on Windbag, I can see the scowl now.
Shall we start a pool on how long it takes him to slag his former series?? :shakehead