PDA

View Full Version : CBS, Ford, NFL, CCWS

The Doctor
10-15-04, 01:07 PM
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=6510994

Sounds good. 7 races on CBS. Ford foots most of the $10 mil bill. Ford gets CBS NFL ad time. No more Betlegeuse. Masses rejoice.

:thumbup:

Sean O'Gorman
10-15-04, 01:12 PM
Good news, except for the possibility of the races airing on Fox Sports Net, which is very bad news.

JLMannin
10-15-04, 01:23 PM
Broadcast exposure is a big boost for Champ Car; its popularity has lagged behind the competing open-wheel racing circuit Indy Racing League, which has a deal with ABC/ESPN.

So, tell me how does a statistician take two groups of 0.1's and 0.2's and determine which set is lower????? I suppose they are probably adding Indy's 4.X to the average, boosting it by 0.2 or so.

Not a bad TV package for a dead series! I sure hope the non-network races end up on Speed. I don't even know if I get FoxSports Net.

Methanolandbrats
10-15-04, 01:25 PM
I don't even know if I get FoxSports Net.

If you let the cable company screw you for digital cable you will get it. That's how it works in most markets.

CART T. Katz
10-15-04, 01:31 PM
i don't see it that way. at home, we have directv but no tivo. which means recording anything is at the mercy of whoever is watching something on that particular television at that particular time. i constantly tell my sister that i have programmed the vcr and dish reciever and not to touch it. everytime i do that, my program has not been recorded. at my dorm, we have the basic cable service. and i know for a fact that my programs will be recorded.

my point is, is that having races on fsn, while not the best, means that the races will be on a station that most people with basic cable package have and even if they aren't live, there is also the option of programming vcrs.

JLMannin
10-15-04, 01:33 PM
If you let the cable company screw you for digital cable you will get it. That's how it works in most markets.

You know, if you really have an opinion about the relative value of a digital cable package, I wish you would just come out and say it. :D

nrc
10-15-04, 01:51 PM
i don't see it that way. at home, we have directv but no tivo.

That's just nuts. $70 and a $5 a month will change your life, man.

As for the TV deal. :thumbup: Eat it, Tony.

Andrew Longman
10-15-04, 02:56 PM
"Broadcast exposure is a big boost for Champ Car; its popularity has lagged behind the competing open-wheel racing circuit Indy Racing League, which has a deal with ABC/ESPN. "

Huh?

Also

No word on whether they will be live and/or always slotted in the 4pm time slot. For the CBS events I just have a hunch they will be live. No real atvantage of keeping it in the same slot if the channel keeps changing. I just hope Speed shows them live and not delayed a week and shown at 1 am like TA.

Overall, I think it looks good though

nrc
10-15-04, 03:19 PM
"Broadcast exposure is a big boost for Champ Car; its popularity has lagged behind the competing open-wheel racing circuit Indy Racing League, which has a deal with ABC/ESPN. "

Huh?

Perception paid for with Hondabucks.

Steve99
10-15-04, 05:19 PM
I think it is a tossup based on where you live whether it is easier to get SPEED or FSN. I get both as part of basic cable (Cox). What worries me about FSN is they tend to run local pro sports, so I may get stuck with a Royals game instead of the race.

Joe in LA
10-15-04, 05:23 PM

I get Fox Sports Net on my basic and have to pay extra to get Speed--which used to be right next to Fox on the basic. Cox has gradually moved everything I actually watch into the premium channels.

JLMannin
10-15-04, 06:11 PM
I get Fox Sports Net on my basic and have to pay extra to get Speed--which used to be right next to Fox on the basic. Cox has gradually moved everything I actually watch into the premium channels.

I checked, and I get both FSN and Speed on basic cable. My company (insight) recently moved Speed from the digital tier to the basic tier - that is odd, but I like it!

Sean O'Gorman
10-15-04, 06:59 PM
The problem with Fox Sports Net is that their programming schedule is very inconsistant. Being in a city with a Major League Baseball team on FSN is going to be hell, because the races will always be preempted.

dando
10-15-04, 07:04 PM
...Being in a city with a Major League Baseball team on FSN is going to be hel
Well then, you folks in Cleveland have nothing to worry about then.... :p

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
10-15-04, 07:22 PM
Damn, this has been one harsh week on Off Camber if you are a Cleveland sports fan. Glad I'm not one of them. :D

Wabbit
10-15-04, 07:44 PM
The problem with Fox Sports Net is that their programming schedule is very inconsistant. Being in a city with a Major League Baseball team on FSN is going to be hell, because the races will always be preempted.

If you live in Seattle, I'm sure you can count on KIRO to preempt all the CBS broadcasts too. You know how we all need Rogaine and the latest products from Ronco.

We're screwed.

Winston Wolfe
10-15-04, 08:24 PM
wow, that didnt take long.... :rolleyes:

We got an upgrade to the previous unseen cable deal, and get a pretty good Network TV deal, and already we've got guys unhappy. The days of OW on major prime time feature TV programming time slots are pretty much gone.

I'm just happy we got a better deal than Spike! TV.....

Can we cheer up just a bit for a racing series that was supposed to be dead, then on life support

Sean O'Gorman
10-15-04, 08:26 PM
What is there to cheer about if Champ Car ends up on a network that wont show the races?

If it ends up being CBS and SPEED, I'll be thrilled. CBS and Fox Sports Net, and I'll be nervous if I'll even get to see most of the races.

Methanolandbrats
10-15-04, 08:44 PM
What is there to cheer about if Champ Car ends up on a network that wont show the races?

If it ends up being CBS and SPEED, I'll be thrilled. CBS and Fox Sports Net, and I'll be nervous if I'll even get to see most of the races. Yup, CBS and SPEED would be fantastic. CBS and FSN will be worse than Spike.

dando
10-15-04, 09:04 PM
Yup, CBS and SPEED would be fantastic. CBS and FSN will be worse than Spike.
Yup. Count me in that group. Like SOG, we'll get the Injuns (and sometimes the Deadz) if races are shown live @ 1 or in some cases @ 4....despite the fact that Cbus doesn't have an MLB team. Let's hope it's Speed.

-Kevin

Jag_Warrior
10-16-04, 09:11 AM
If it makes $ponsor$ happy, then it makes me happy.

Thank you, Ford Motor Company!

KLang
10-16-04, 09:24 AM
Selfish on my part but I do hope HDNet is still in the mix.

With the TV deal being ironed out this should mean the schedule will be out soon. :thumbup:

Tim
10-16-04, 12:08 PM
The IRL was on FSN in 1999 and most of there races were shown at 1 or 2 in the morning.

jonovision_man
10-16-04, 04:44 PM
If they are really getting Ford to pick up some of the tab, this is :thumbup: ... but given the scaling back of Ford's racing efforts I'd be a bit surprised. Unless this is their way of keeping the toe in the water without the $200M+/year pricetag associated with F1. :)

jono

BNica
10-16-04, 05:54 PM
Autoweek piece, unlike the Reuters article they say only six races instead of seven. Nothing new in the schedule department, its all 'maybe's' However, as far as TV is concerned, the atticle does say it all is really close to completion. Still no confirmation of whether it will be Speed TV or not for the remaining races, but there is this speculation on other possibilities:

Champ Car's pending domestic television package includes six time-buy broadcasts on CBS, with an option to increase the number during subsequent seasons. Remaining races in 2005 will be televised on a CBS/Viacom cable affiliate like USA or Spike, or on former cable partner Speed.

link here (http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101038)

FRANKY
10-16-04, 10:40 PM
Autoweek piece, unlike the Reuters article they say only six races instead of seven. Nothing new in the schedule department, its all 'maybe's' However, as far as TV is concerned, the atticle does say it all is really close to completion. Still no confirmation of whether it will be Speed TV or not for the remaining races, but there is this speculation on other possibilities:

link here (http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101038)

The key is network TV even if it costs the Three Amigos. Secondly they need cable for the rest of the season, where people can find it on a regular uninterrupted basis.

stroker
10-17-04, 12:14 PM
Just a thought...

We're talking about roughly 40% of the races, right?

What would be so bad about doing the regularly scheduled Spike thing AND showing "premiere" races live on CBS as a bonus feature?

You could rebroadcast the "premiere" races on Spike during "off" weekends at some point later in the season so in effect, you'd show EVERY race on Spike. Simply repackage the "premiere" live broadcast with a bit more Bronte, add a one or two feature bits to fill in slow time as necessary, thus giving the audience "two bites at the apple" so to speak... If you had an unusually good race you could even market it as "your last chance to see an epic battle".

If the sponsors were offered the Spike rebroadcast of the "premiere" races FREE (or at a nominal charge, say an additional 10%) as part of their original sponsorship deal, wouldn't that be a better deal for everyone all the way around? OWRS gets network TV at a cost they can afford with a subsidy from Ford, the sponsors get more exposure for (roughly) the same money, the fans get a consistent broadcast schedule and live races for those who want them (until the TV ratings support expansion of the schedule)...

No?

CART T. Katz
10-17-04, 10:30 PM
That's just nuts. $70 and a $5 a month will change your life, man.

just so you know, it's not my call. i have asked for it to solve some recording problems at home for quite some time now.

audi quattro
10-18-04, 12:11 AM
I am curious to know if race director will remain?
CBS may not like seeing a live race online.
Anyone have any insight?

mantom
10-18-04, 10:39 PM
I am curious to know if race director will remain?
CBS may not like seeing a live race online.
Anyone have any insight?

CBS won't give a rat's ass - it's not their product. Champ Car is time buying the airwaves on CBS, what they do is their business. Race Director will probably continue as it provides revenue at low cost.