PDA

View Full Version : 4WDRIFT

RaceGrrl
12-31-02, 04:42 PM
This morning, on my way to work, I passed a guy driving a silver Honda with license plates that read 4WDRIFT. It made me smile a little at first, then a lot, as I thought about how amazing ChampCars look through some of the really fast kinks and turns.

Race season can't get here quick enough!

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/otn/happy/burnout.gif

nrc
12-31-02, 05:42 PM
Isn't this off topic? :p

Okay, so you sort of nudged it a little bit on topic.

RaceGrrl
12-31-02, 05:54 PM
Ok, so maybe it is off topic. I guess it gives WB the chance to show the "move over flag."

Hink
12-31-02, 06:38 PM
One thing that doesn't show on TV the Champ Cars powering the back out right next to the wall on the corner exits on street courses. People seeing a live race for the first time really seem to appreciate this.

RaceGrrl
12-31-02, 07:05 PM
But Hink, don't you know that the people who go to street races are only there for the "event", not the racing?

MAXAR RE
12-31-02, 07:10 PM
Remember in 99 when Montoya was getting four-wheel drift out of the final turn at Portland? Andretti and several others were amazed that anyone could slide a Champ Car at that speed with that downforce level on Firestones. :cool:

Foxman
12-31-02, 07:19 PM
If the camera people get just the right angle, the cars going through the kink at Vancouver looks INCREDIBLE, they move all over the place going through that turn.

Hink
12-31-02, 07:41 PM
RaceGrrl - I read that on some other sites so many times but I don't believe it. Sure the street race party helps get people in the door who otherwise wouldn't but there are people there for the racing.

Vancouver is the only street race I have ever been to. (3 times)

The sweeper coming on to the straight (turn 5) is incredible, even if it's though to get a good vantange point. I had no idea how much passing there was between turn six and seven until I sat in the chalet in 2001.

RaceGrrl
12-31-02, 11:07 PM
Hink, I don't believe it either. I neglected to add a smilie to my response to you because I thought it was obvious that I was being sarcastic. :)

pchall
12-31-02, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
Hink, I don't believe it either. I neglected to add a smilie to my response to you because I thought it was obvious that I was being sarcastic. :)

Grrl, someday they will all learn that even your smilie smilies are sarcastic.

ps: Four Wheel Drift is also the title of a pretty good peice of juvenile racing fiction set in the mid 50s at the French GP. The story is a blatant rip off of the Vanwall F1 project.

RiverRunner
01-01-03, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by MAXAR RE
Remember in 99 when Montoya was getting four-wheel drift out of the final turn at Portland?

Actually, the move that Montoya pulled off at Detroit to snag the pole after drifiting it into the last corner's exit wall in a flash of magnesium sparks was the one that convinced me that not only was this kid for real, but was world class.

Me?
I prefer my drift in the dirt however as anyone that's ridden with me to the Desert Bar (http://www.mastersofmayhem.net/images/DESERT-BAR-%236.jpg) can attest.

Lizzerd
01-01-03, 04:23 AM
Since we're sort of on a Montoya swing now... I recall sitting in the grandstands that face towards the downhill straight in Hurry Downs leading to turn 8 (?) at Road America in '99 during either quals or practice. I believe it was the year they put the concrete patches in the apex of the turns. Anyway, watching the cars come straight at you, then braking, shifting and making the left hand corner made me realize what a talent Montoya is. I swear, if you had painted all the cars the same color with no identifying logos, etc., you could tell who was taking the corner and the lap faster than the others. It would have been JPM.

Hink
01-01-03, 03:51 PM
RaceGrrl - I understood completely from the time I read it.

No worries. No smiley required.

Foxman
01-01-03, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Lizzerd
Since we're sort of on a Montoya swing now... I recall sitting in the grandstands that face towards the downhill straight in Hurry Downs leading to turn 8 (?) at Road America in '99 during either quals or practice. I believe it was the year they put the concrete patches in the apex of the turns. Anyway, watching the cars come straight at you, then braking, shifting and making the left hand corner made me realize what a talent Montoya is. I swear, if you had painted all the cars the same color with no identifying logos, etc., you could tell who was taking the corner and the lap faster than the others. It would have been JPM.

JPM at RA in 1999 was pure magic, the guy is driving a car that has 2 less gears than the competition, and HE WAS STILL LEADING. JPM with Mo Nunn and the Reynard/Honda/Firestone combination was pure magic.

Railbird
01-01-03, 08:52 PM
The elimination of traction control should make these spectacles all the more common in the next seasons. The demands of dancing a Champcar between the walls of a concrete canyon should be left more to the pros rather than the processors.

Lizzerd
01-01-03, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Railbird
The elimination of traction control should make these spectacles all the more common in the next seasons. The demands of dancing a Champcar between the walls of a concrete canyon should be left more to the pros rather than the processors.

Amen, 'Bird. Crank 'em up and race balls out.

oddlycalm
01-02-03, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Lizzerd
watching the cars come straight at you, then braking, shifting and making the left hand corner made me realize what a talent Montoya is. I swear, if you had painted all the cars the same color with no identifying logos, etc., you could tell who was taking the corner and the lap faster than the others. It would have been JPM.

Exactly. Same thing in Portland if you sit on the hill to the east of the track and are roughly lined up with the entrance into the turn at the end of the straight (ain't natural terrain great). You can tell every year who is fast by sitting there during practice and qualifying. Montoya and Villeneuve and the two that come to mind as being the most impressive. Another guy that was always fast there was Luyendyk, a guy that got little respect, but was fast even in some cars that he shouldn't have been.

oc

RichK
01-02-03, 03:53 PM
In-car cameras from JPM were/are just The Best; I've never seen another driver look like he was driving a ChampCar on ice all the time. The guy is just constantly right on the limit!

damiandoan
01-02-03, 04:00 PM
Had the old Altima doing a 4WDrift in the rain the other day. Quite fun, but The wife & mom weren't that impressed. ;) :laugh:

DD