PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a tyre!

devilmaster
10-13-04, 04:04 PM
Ok, I know I had a thread about this a year ago. I held on to my old firehawks for another year, but its obvious that they can't go through another winter.... (well, they could, but them going through another winter means me going through stop signs and/or buildings)

So after an extensive and exhaustive (10 minute) search on the internet, its been narrowed down to 3 choices. The criteria was the right size:255/70R15; good performance in rain and wet, and a beefy, racing look to match the sporty look of the truck.

If you don't see a manufacturer here, its probably because of one of these reasons. 1) didn't make a tyre in my size; 2) no close or available dealers; 3) i missed it and/or don't like the manufacturer, plain and simple.

If there is another tyre you think I should be aware of, that fits the size, feel free to post it and i'll take a look at it.

So, here's my truck with the original stock garbage goodyear eagle LS's on it.

http://www.mnsi.net/~smicalef/truck.jpg

And here is what I'm looking at buying.... So in no particular order:

1) Firestone Indy 500 Firehawk
http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tireselector/dpp/glamour/tirephotos_full/FSFHI500.jpg

2) Yokohama Avid S/T
http://www.yokohamatire.com/images/carsandtires/AVIDS-T.jpg

3) Dunlop GT Qualifier
http://www.dunloptire.com/dunlop/graphics/Tires/full/726_hp_gtqualifier_3qt.jpg

Steve

Methanolandbrats
10-13-04, 04:17 PM
I vote Firehawk with a qualification. Since you live in Ontario buy a set of steel wheels and mount some Nokian Winter Tires. Does'nt cost much more than running one of set of rims yearround and it is a huge safety advantage.

nrc
10-13-04, 04:28 PM
No way I would put a four letter word like that on my vehicle. Did you look to see if Dayton has the same tire with a different name?

We have Yokohama's on the Contour and I've been pleased with them so far.

Methanolandbrats
10-13-04, 04:31 PM
No way I would put a four letter word like that on my vehicle. Did you look to see if Dayton has the same tire with a different name?

We have Yokohama's on the Contour and I've been pleased with them so far. Gotta agree.......I saw Firestone Firehawk, but missed the Indy 500 part.....that would be hard to look at.

Sean O'Gorman
10-13-04, 06:32 PM
I voted the Indy 500 one because I thought it would look funny. :D

Dave99
10-13-04, 07:06 PM
I wouldn't want to advertise for the bad guys either. :shakehead

Steve, if ya get the Indy's have them mount with the lettering on the inside. :D

cart7
10-13-04, 07:29 PM

My last set of tire's on my truck were Dayton's and they were outstanding. I've tried BF Goodrich this last time and am not pleased with the results. NRC has the idea. See if Dayton makes a comparable model as the **** Firestone tyre.
;)

Kiwifan
10-13-04, 07:41 PM
We have just purchased 4 Bridgestone Potenzas for my son's Mitsi Galant and they are fantastic. Mentioned we LOVE the Champ Cars and got a huge discount! $100 per tyre. :) :) (It may have been something to do with me wearing my SHELL uniform too but I'd like to think it was the Champ Cars. ;) )

Rusty.

Jervis Tetch 1
10-14-04, 12:30 AM
Michelin.

manic mechanic
10-14-04, 12:38 AM
Why didn't you spend more than the "10 minutes", Steve?

If you had, you might have added another poll answer: NONE OF THE ABOVE. :D

Check these out before you plunk down $300 USD for a set of "skins"..the extra $60 you would spend will be well worth it.

Bridgestone Dueler A/T D693

Go to www.tirerack.com and look at the reviews. Some like them, some hate them, but if I were after a pure truck tire, I'd buy them (and we are contracted with a Goodyear distributor where I work). :thumbup:

Besides that, WHO "Presents the Champ Car World Series"???

manic

Lizzerd
10-14-04, 01:20 AM
Couldn't you add "I have no idea" to your poll list? I must abstain.

chop456
10-14-04, 01:42 AM
Wifey's Yokohamas are great. My last 2 sets have been Dunlops and Firestones. The Dunlops were garbage and the Firestones were mediocre at best. These are car tires I'm talking about, so take that FWIW.

Clown
10-14-04, 01:45 AM
They're black and round, just buy a set... :gomer:

BTW: I'm running "Uniroyal Tiger Paws" :confused: :saywhat: :rofl:

Michaelhatesfans
10-14-04, 02:31 AM
Rubber ones. I always get rubber ones. :thumbup:

FRANKY
10-14-04, 02:37 AM
Bridgestone Winter Dueler DM-Z2 (Figured weather might be an issue)

But what the heck, road noise can be a pain. Wasn't happy with my Yokohamas, but that was more my fault, they are sensitive and needed constant rotation.

devilmaster
10-14-04, 02:56 AM
To answer the questions:

1) There is a Dayton tyre that matches the Indy 500 tyre. Its called the Dayton Daytona (surprise, surprise). I didn't really think too much about it. So those who voted for the Firehawk might be also voting for the Daytona.

2) Bridgestone - No tire in the size i want. I mean, the truck has Firehawks now, because at the time, firehawks were in Champcar. If there was a Bridgestone in the size I want, you probably wouldn't be reading this post right now, i'd have them.

3) Michelin - believe it or not - no size match.

4) Lizzerd - is there a reason you're abstaining, bruce? You have a preferred tire? Post it.

5) Manic - I did spend more than 10 minutes. I've actually been debating about tyres since august of last year. The comment I made was a joke. Thanks for the tirerack.com link.... I couldn't remember it.

Steve

sadams
10-14-04, 07:15 AM
What's a tyre ? :gomer: We calls em tire here in the US of A. And do not spend money on anything that supports the dark side. Period. End of story.

L1P1
10-14-04, 09:24 PM
I bought some Yokohama's for my sports car and have been very happy with them. But for my SUV, I decided on Pirelli Scorpion A/T's. Don't know if they're still made or in your size, but they worked really well and wound up outlasting the car.

pchall
10-15-04, 12:29 PM
[QUOTE=L1P1]I bought some Yokohama's for my sports car and have been very happy with them. [QUOTE]

I'd go with the Yokos, but my experience is only with passenger car applications. I've got a friend who swears by Hankook for price and roadability. You might want to check out Kuhmo, too. There's nothing better than having a lot of beer money left after you buy new treads. ;)

Audi_A4
10-15-04, 10:09 PM
I think you should buy black tires for your truck DM :gomer: ....

I have Continental tires on my A4 and love them in the winter and summer. car came with Dunlops and they were obscenley expensive to replace.

devilmaster
10-16-04, 03:19 AM
Thanks to all who offered their opinions.....

On Thursday past, I placed an order (drum roll, please)

http://mindscraps.com/s/contrib/ruinkai/smashfreakB.gif

hmm.... close enough.....

Anyways, I placed an order for 5 Yoko Avid S/Ts. The opinions of yoko drivers here and at tirerack.com pushed them to the top.

I'll let ya know (like you care, i know) how they turn out.......when I get them. No 255/70R15s in all of Ontario at the moment.

Steve

RacinM3
10-18-04, 08:28 PM
Good, I was just going to say Yokohama. Been outta town.