PDA

View Full Version : IRL announces first street race and concert

pchall
02-18-03, 09:41 PM
http://www.autoracing1.com/Images/2003Misc/IRLMiami1.jpg

Fred Nation is e-mailing one and all about the sell out crowd right now.

JT265
02-18-03, 09:55 PM
PC, another sell-out at the red, high banked cookie cutter oval.:laugh:

lone_groover
02-18-03, 10:04 PM
No way to spin it positive. GOMERPALOOZA turned out to be a real bust.:thumdown: Bummer man. :cry:

I guess Miami-ites just aren't part of the future, so they got out of the way. :p

DaveL
02-19-03, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by pchall
Fred Nation is e-mailing one and all about the sell out crowd right now.

It was a sell out crowd. See, the only planned on selling 7 tickets, and all 7 sold. Hence, it was a sell out.

So there Mr....MAN.

nrc
02-19-03, 01:24 AM
You just can't do a free-form jazz exploration in front of a festival crowd.

DaveL
02-19-03, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by nrc

At least they got bigger dressing rooms than the puppet show.

Napoleon
02-19-03, 07:17 AM
So what is the story behind this picture?

oddlycalm
02-19-03, 08:40 AM
Veteran Indycar journalist Jack Arute wrote today that he was certain that the change to a 100cc kart based formula would in no way diminish the series or the Indianapolis 500. "People come to see the best drivers in the world race wheel to wheel" said Arute, "they don't care about the specifics of the cars."

sundaydriver
02-19-03, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by nrc

"This is Derek Smalls, he wrote this!"

(Guy in front row doing this: :thumdown: )

:rofl: :rofl:

cart7
02-19-03, 11:17 AM
It was a sell out crowd. See, the only planned on selling 7 tickets, and all 7 sold. Hence, it was a sell out.

After reviewing actual tickets sold, the irl readjusted it's numbers downward to reflect actual PAID attendance. 2. The others in the crowd scene wandered past sleeping security guard's thinking there was free food. ;)

DaveL
02-19-03, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by cart7
After reviewing actual tickets sold, the irl readjusted it's numbers downward to reflect actual PAID attendance. 2. The others in the crowd scene wandered past sleeping security guard's thinking there was free food.

But because there was no such event last year and the attendence for 2002 was 0, the IRL is claiming that attendence is trending upward given that there were more people there in 2003 than there were in 2002.

JLMannin
02-19-03, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by cart7
After reviewing actual tickets sold, the irl readjusted it's numbers downward to reflect actual PAID attendance. 2. The others in the crowd scene wandered past sleeping security guard's thinking there was free food. ;)

Actually, the paid attendance is 1027. There are 25 people behind and/or under the stage to get out of the sun, and 1000 tickets were sold in the New England area, and the weather related airport closings prevented their attendance. The tickets were sold as part of a package including a NASCAR driver autograph session.

THAT is IRL attendance, baby!

RaceGrrl
02-19-03, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by JLMannin
Actually, the paid attendance is 1027. There are 25 people behind and/or under the stage to get out of the sun, and 1000 tickets were sold in the New England area, and the weather related airport closings prevented their attendance. The tickets were sold as part of a package including a NASCAR driver autograph session.

THAT is IRL attendance, baby!

Is that by Reininger's count?

Ed_Severson
02-19-03, 01:42 PM
Shame on you guys.

Tony George deserves a lot of credit for creating a platform for young, underfunded American cover bands to showcase their talents.

CART certainly wasn't getting it done.

Wheel-Nut
02-19-03, 04:23 PM
I see the earl has been working on that new "soft" wall system!!

devilmaster
02-19-03, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Wheel-Nut
I see the earl has been working on that new "soft" wall system!!

I was waiting for that. :D

Steve

Turn7
02-19-03, 04:48 PM
I find it funny that the IRL promotions dept. doesn't even put up Sammy on the banner.

I see Dixon, Brack, Rice and Castroneves but no IRL champion.

You would think that he would be the IRL poster child.
:confused:

JLMannin
02-19-03, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Ed_Severson
Shame on you guys.

Tony George deserves a lot of credit for creating a platform for young, underfunded American cover bands to showcase their talents.

CART certainly wasn't getting it done.

No, TG is giving these bands the opportunity to showcase their talent. CART destroyed that opportunity in North America.

The vision is not about actually making it possible, but only to provide the opportunity for it to be possible.

Obviously, you do not listen to Fred Nation.

RacinM3
02-19-03, 07:32 PM
That track's even more "mickey mouse" than the track at Disney World!

oddlycalm
02-19-03, 07:48 PM
This just in...

" Sources close to the IRL say they are reviewing their strategy of having Sarah Fisher greet fans at the main entrance dressed in shorts and a halter top with IRL logos."

:D

Lizzerd
02-19-03, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Napoleon
So what is the story behind this picture?

I want to know too. Where is this picture and what's going on? Did the earl really set up this extravaganza at the Miami race last year?

JT265
02-19-03, 09:06 PM
Is that a John "Mellon" Cougarcamp cover band?

And Dave, Freak Nation stats indicate a 200% increase in ticket sales and awareness for the "cookie cutter" gang, according to the latest reports.

Hmm, I wonder if they are covering Little Johnnies "Small Town" ;)

JoeBob
02-19-03, 10:23 PM
From what I've gathered, those photos were taken a few days ago when the IRL had some sort of publicity event in Bayfront Park (where the CART race is held)

DaveL
02-20-03, 01:00 AM
No, TG is giving these bands the opportunity to showcase their talent. CART destroyed that opportunity in North America.

The vision is not about actually making it possible, but only to provide the opportunity for it to be possible.

Mr. Mannin has summed it up correctly :)

Hink
02-20-03, 05:22 AM

Originally posted by DaveL
Mr. Mannin has summed it up correctly :)

Not bad John, only one minor typo in the last sentence ... but I'm being hypercritical here.

The vision is not about actually making it possible, but only to PRETEND the opportunity for it to be possible.

Not that it fools many of the "resilient" types in Marion County, and not that they're one to be told, but Tony just pretends he loves you IRL fans.

Where are your American Oval Racers now?

In the stands?