PDA

View Full Version : According to the BBC World Service

pchall
10-13-04, 12:40 AM
Bernie Ecclestone now says that Imola and Magny-Cours are also in doubt on the 2005 F1 schedule.

In addition to a GP of Turkey, what other Middle Eastern, Asian, or African countries that produce tobacco might be in line to fill Bernie's wallet? Are fans ready for the GP of Malawi?

Ankf00
10-13-04, 12:48 AM
gp of tajikistan baby

chop456
10-13-04, 01:22 AM
Both of those have been in doubt for 2 years. They've been more or less on notice from sir shorty. Too bad the tobacco teams can't follow Williams' example. Obviously BAR is exempt from that statement. ;)

Not good.

Dr. Corkski
10-13-04, 03:14 AM
Bernie Ecclestone now says that Imola and Magny-Cours are also in doubt on the 2005 F1 schedule.

In addition to a GP of Turkey, what other Middle Eastern, Asian, or African countries that produce tobacco might be in line to fill Bernie's wallet? Are fans ready for the GP of Malawi?Sanye, China? Oh wait, someone beat Bernie to it.

devilmaster
10-13-04, 03:20 AM
It ain't about tobacco, as much as he wants to say it is.

Its really about government money. Turkey, China, Bahrain, as the new ones all pay from the government. BE used the tobacco excuse to extort monies from Canada.

He'll make a deal with the RAC if they can get the government to pony up.

Government money has replaced tobacco as one of the major sponsors for races.

Steve

chop456
10-13-04, 06:29 AM
I think it's really about both, as there'd be no cause for one without the other.

As much as I dislike saying it, I'd rather watch Bahrain than Austria. I'd rather watch China than the Hungaroring, and I'd rather watch Sepang than the neutered Hockenheim. While there are risks in moving races away from F1's European base, I'm hoping this is a stopgap and not the wave of the future. Then again, maybe he really will sell F1's soul for a few euros.

Dirty Sanchez
10-13-04, 09:31 AM
^agree with all of that except the Austria comment. That track rocks.

jonovision_man
10-13-04, 09:37 AM

Imola? FINALLY. Has never been the same since '94, the revised track has produced some Hungaroring-level snoozers.

jono

jonovision_man
10-13-04, 10:09 AM
Did you notice the USGP doesn't have a date? It's confirmed but date is to be determined, presumably pending the outcome of Silverstone to avoid a big gap in the schedule. (Take note CCWS... :rolleyes: )

So don't firm up those hotels just yet. :)

jono

Forza Lancia
10-13-04, 11:07 AM
In addition to a GP of Turkey, what other Middle Eastern, Asian, or African countries that produce tobacco might be in line to fill Bernie's wallet? Are fans ready for the GP of Malawi?

Well, I don't think they produce tobacco, or are even a large tobacco market, but, according to F1-Live (http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.html), Formula One may be heading to the Canary Islands!

The list of countries claiming a desire to stage a Grand Prix continues to expand: the latest rumour concerns a bid to host a race in the Canary Islands, as a move to boost tourism.

pchall
10-13-04, 11:26 AM
Well, I don't think they produce tobacco, or are even a large tobacco market, but, according to F1-Live (http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.html), Formula One may be heading to the Canary Islands!

Tobacco is the chief ag product of Malawi. It is their only significant export comodity. Farmers in Malawi refuse to grow food stuffs since tobacco profits allow them to live better on imported goods. Meanwhile, the rest of the country starves.

Hey, that was a socio-political rant. @cowsworth, is the allowed here?

Jervis Tetch 1
10-13-04, 06:16 PM
Ank beat me to it, but I'll throw in my vote anyway for the Grand Prix of Outer Mongolia.

RTKar
10-13-04, 06:23 PM
Restrict the amount of testing and run a couple more races.... I'd REALLY hate to see the European swing deemphasized. I'm hoping for the possibility some of the Senna chicanes can be removed and "Safer" barriers utilized instead, especially if speed reductions become reality.

jonovision_man
10-13-04, 07:09 PM
Restrict the amount of testing and run a couple more races.... I'd REALLY hate to see the European swing deemphasized. I'm hoping for the possibility some of the Senna chicanes can be removed and "Safer" barriers utilized instead, especially if speed reductions become reality.

I could live with that... I just don't like the circut as it is. (Imola).

jono

Chaos
10-14-04, 10:46 AM
Where's there left for the A1GP to race?

The Doctor
10-14-04, 12:12 PM

Middle East, Asia, Africa, Australia, South America--maybe Spain/Portugal.

Plenty of places.

Edit: Here are the countries already selected. Probably more to come.
Dubai, Qatar, Bahrain, China, Malaysia, Japan, Australia, South Africa.

jonovision_man
10-14-04, 12:23 PM

They can race F1 tracks if they want... they're racing in the off-season, so anything without snow is there for the racing.

jono

Chaos
10-14-04, 01:25 PM
i know...i was saying it in jest. But I do find it interesting that F1 is going to all the markets that A1GP has been considering. Not that they're trying to knock A1GP out, but more to the fact that they're going to government sponsored markets.

Jervis Tetch 1
10-14-04, 11:12 PM
Middle East, Asia, Africa, Australia, South America--maybe Spain/Portugal.

Plenty of places.

Edit: Here are the countries already selected. Probably more to come.
Dubai, Qatar, Bahrain, China, Malaysia, Japan, Australia, South Africa.
There's always the "puesdo" places too like San Marino, which as we all know is contested in Imola, Italy.

What about the Andorran GP, Liechtenstein GP, Luxumborg GP (which there reall was at one time), or maybe the Grand Prix of the Vatican.

Than there's always Mali, Kenya, Chad, Papua New Guinea, East Timor, Easter Island, Barbados, the Bahamas, et al.

RacinM3
10-19-04, 01:09 PM
Are they going to change the name from the "World Championship" to the "Third World Championship"?