PDA

View Full Version : Terry Labonte: class act

rabbit
10-12-04, 01:41 PM
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/nascar/13382/

I'm sad to see Terry Labonte retiring. I can't say that I was ever a big fan of his, but I always respected him. The sport is losing a true gentleman racer. :thumbup:

Sean O'Gorman
10-12-04, 03:22 PM
Damn, another old school driver gone, and replaced with a generic dull kid with no personality. Hendrick has lots of those in waiting, it seems.

Rogue Leader
10-12-04, 07:35 PM
Damn, another old school driver gone, and replaced with a generic dull kid with no personality. Hendrick has lots of those in waiting, it seems.

Hendrick has become the KING of hunting down 19 yr old kids to run cup cars... :rolleyes:

DaveL
10-12-04, 08:00 PM
Texas Terry is one of the true gentlemen of the sport and the epitome of class on and off the track.

spinner26
10-12-04, 08:13 PM
Hendrick has become the KING of hunting down 19 yr old kids to run cup cars... :rolleyes:

19? He tabed this youngster when he was 16 and NASCAB said No way Jose'!
H e ran a couple lower series before going to trucks then Bush now to the grandaddy of them all, Full tilt circlejerking. :gomer:

Cart Champion
10-12-04, 08:13 PM

I feel the same way, I don't know who half the drivers are nowadays.
There are very few names I recognize now.

Rob
10-12-04, 08:58 PM
Terry's been one of my favorite Cup drivers for many years. He's got a lot of class indeed. Hope he enjoys his semi-retirement tour to the fullest.

Racewriter
10-12-04, 09:02 PM
I remember the same reaction back in '79, when Billy Hagan fired Skip Manning and put an unknown short tracker from Corpus Christi in the car. He even changed his number from 92 to 44 for the kid...

Terry is a class act. He will be missed.

Ziggy
10-12-04, 09:40 PM
Pass the Kleenex, my world is falling apart :gomer:

Dave99
10-12-04, 09:45 PM
He ran a couple lower series before going to trucks then Bush now to the grandaddy of them all, Full tilt circlejerking. :gomer:
Shouldn't that be Full-Tilt Boogity? :gomer:

B3RACER1a
10-12-04, 10:57 PM
Both Bobby and Terry are class acts, and something you dont see too often in motorsports, or any sport for that matter.

Methanolandbrats
10-12-04, 11:06 PM
Pass the Kleenex, my world is falling apart :gomer: :rofl: :rofl:

theunions
10-12-04, 11:37 PM
I remember the same reaction back in '79, when Billy Hagan fired Skip Manning and put an unknown short tracker from Corpus Christi in the car.

Whatever happened to Skip? And I don't recall having ever seen any sort of public reaction from Skip, either then or to the present.

Racewriter
10-13-04, 01:01 AM
Whatever happened to Skip? And I don't recall having ever seen any sort of public reaction from Skip, either then or to the present.

Skip ran pavement late models throughout the South with some success into the early '90s. Aside from a couple of drives for Walter Ballard, his Cup career ended when he got fired by Hagan. AFAIK, his biggest win ever was the World Crown 300 in Georgia in the early 80s, when it paid 50K to win.

Skip didn't say much publicly. He was disappointed, of course, but he'd had the ride for nearly five years without any wins. Then Terry won before he'd run one full season, so...

cart7
10-13-04, 06:01 AM
Now that the earl has become the road racing/ex-Cart club, there's nowhere for deserving American short trackers to go but Nascar. Consider Terry just more collateral damage from Tony creating the irl.

Sean O'Gorman
10-14-04, 06:46 PM
And Mark Martin joins the club... :(

trish
10-14-04, 07:06 PM
19? He tabed this youngster when he was 16 and NASCAB said No way Jose'!
H e ran a couple lower series before going to trucks then Bush now to the grandaddy of them all, Full tilt circlejerking. :gomer:
Actually, Kyle was tabbed by Jack Roush. Roush is the one who had him in the trucks until NASCAR disallowed it. Then I believe Kyle raced in ASA. Maybe ARCA too.

Racewriter
10-14-04, 09:11 PM
Actually, Kyle was tabbed by Jack Roush. Roush is the one who had him in the trucks until NASCAR disallowed it. Then I believe Kyle raced in ASA. Maybe ARCA too.

Correct. Kyle's Truck ride was a casualty of the Winston sponsorship.

So, Roush released him and Hendrick snapped him up to run ASA.

Sean O'Gorman
10-14-04, 09:37 PM
I thought Busch left Roush for Hendrick on his own, or was that just a spin put on it?

Racewriter
10-14-04, 10:12 PM
I thought Busch left Roush for Hendrick on his own, or was that just a spin put on it?

Spin. Cryin' Jack let Busch out of his contract, because he didn't want to develop the kid for a couple of years. Hendrick had no such problems. Watch - if Busch becomes the star that most think he will be, he'll bawl about how Hendrick steals all the good Ford drivers.

trish
10-15-04, 08:16 PM
Correct. Kyle's Truck ride was a casualty of the Winston sponsorship.

So, Roush released him and Hendrick snapped him up to run ASA.I don't believe the deal with Hendrick happened until last year.

I think it was ASA under Roush and then ARCA and Busch under Hendrick. Kyle didn't sign with HMS until sometime last February (2003).