PDA

View Full Version : Did Winders SP2 Do This???!!! Uh, help!

Jag_Warrior
10-11-04, 11:38 PM
Just got to the hotel. I plugged in my laptop. I can see a network connection, but I get a message that I have no network connection. :confused: The d@mn thing tries to connect via my dial up. It was set to "dial whenever a network connection is not present" - so I turned that off. Nada! Still won't connect. The mofo always worked here before! The only thing I've changed since my last trip was a download of the SP2 for XP (Xtra Piece of s#!^!!!). The one I'm on now is the company box that runs 2000 - and that's not an option for online banking, Tony George with sheep vids, etc.

Does anyone know what I need to toggle on, off or drop kick to make this Microsoft plagued b@stage connect to the hotel's network? Did SP2 change a setting???

anait
10-12-04, 12:10 AM
Is it wireless? If it is, you should see something in your system tray, when you right click on it it says, "View available networks" - and you should be able to pick the hotel network from the list.

This is from my live-in tech boy toy. :D

Ankf00
10-12-04, 12:34 AM
i've tried to do sp2 a couple of times, most noteably yesterday, read alot of stuff on hp's site about it messing up network connections, didnt really care though seeing as the computer would fail to boot properly after sp2 was installed, followed instructions too, cleaned spyware up, installed all windows updates, effe M$

seattime
10-12-04, 12:37 AM
With your new improved SP2 machine click on the start menu, then select control panel. Oncce that screen opens select security center. This will bring up a window showing the status of the Firewall, Automatic Updates and Virus Protection.
At the bottom of this window are some options to manage security settings. Select the windows firewall option, select the not recommended option and turn the firewall off. Once complete you should be able to connect with that machine...the security center dashboard should also show a red light for the firewall.

The windows firewall is basically useless so I recommend installing zone alarm from www.zonelabs.com ASAP. It's free and much better anyways.

Actually seeing that you want to use a hotel network connection I would add zone alarm as soon as I got connected...especially if you are going to do any online banking!

Good Luck

Clown
10-12-04, 02:13 AM
Get a real operating system :p :laugh:

Kiwifan
10-12-04, 03:57 AM
I think seattime is on the case although this comes from me, a non expert. :) I installed SP2 at home last week no sweat an did the work PC today, so far no worries. However, in my PCAuthority SP2 guide they do mention a problem with Internet Connections. They say "it is the Windows Firewall" and "your PC is blocking unsolicited trafic that is essential to your network. The answer lies in the Exceptions tab at the windows Firewall settings, where you need to use the Add Program fearture to enable the programs that are currently blocked."

Hope this is of some help until the experts arrive. ;)

Rusty.

Jag_Warrior
10-12-04, 03:12 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll try any and all of these suggestions when I get back this evening.

No, it's not wireless (well, it is... but I never have gotten the wireless LAN thingie to work) - but the hotel connection isn't wireless.

And I played around with it for an hour or so before I pulled this one out and called for help. I turned the firewall off (or I thought I did), but maybe I needed to reboot to have it take affect? :confused: I turned s#!^ on... I turned s#!^ off... I looked s#!^ up in help. I was fairly mad by then so...

I know, Clown. :( I looked at Apples I-Macs for a month before I took one for the team, took the deep discount offer and bought this POS Think(not)Pad. I run Winders 98SE at home. Compared to that, XP runs like an 1975 AMF/Harley Sportster, if you ask me.

oddlycalm
10-12-04, 04:58 PM
Jag, make sure that your network connection has just not been turned off. Go to the Start menu > Settings > Network Connections and make certain you Local Area Connection is not grayed out. If it is, right click on it and click on Enable. I've managed to turn them off before and then wondered why I couldn't connect when all the hardware was obviously working.

oc

Jag_Warrior
10-12-04, 05:59 PM
Jag, make sure that your network connection has just not been turned off. Go to the Start menu > Settings > Network Connections and make certain you Local Area Connection is not grayed out. If it is, right click on it and click on Enable. I've managed to turn them off before and then wondered why I couldn't connect when all the hardware was obviously working.

oc

Ya know, that's what threw me for a loop last night. I did that. I thought, well it must be turned off. But I checked it and I could see "packets sent" amounted to a handful, but it wouldn't receive anything. That made me think something was blocking the incoming. The help section led me to the firewall section (which was completely new to me). But as I said, since I didn't reboot, maybe the firewall reset didn't take. I'll try that first thing.

I mean, I think I have a pretty decent sense of humor. But if this was a car that I'd had in the shop, I'd be waiting for the shop foreman in the trees behind his house one night. NO SETTING should ever be changed by a downloaded Microsoft program (especially!), unless I click a yes box somewhere, at some point! Geez!:flame:

pfc_m_drake
10-12-04, 09:30 PM
If your attempt at playing with firewall settings is unsuccessful, you can try downloading and running WinSock Fix. The description of what it does is on the page, but basically it restores a bunch of settings that sometimes become corrupt through various means. It's worth a shot I think:

http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html

Just download, double click on the executable, and click the 'Fix' button.

Good luck.

Jag_Warrior
10-12-04, 09:40 PM
POS!!! :flame:

F'Bill Gates! http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/angry/zxflipoff.gif

And System Restore is a bigger tease than a cheerleader on prom night!

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/cwm/cwm/piss2.gifWindows XP SP2http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/cwm/cwm/piss.gif

Jag_Warrior
10-12-04, 09:43 PM
If your attempt at playing with firewall settings is unsuccessful, you can try downloading and running WinSock Fix. The description of what it does is on the page, but basically it restores a bunch of settings that sometimes become corrupt through various means. It's worth a shot I think:

http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html

Just download, double click on the executable, and click the 'Fix' button.

Good luck.

Thanks. I'll downlaod it on this one and try to load it on that one... if I don't dent the wall with it first.

oddlycalm
10-13-04, 02:07 AM
F'Bill Gates! http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/cwm/cwm/piss2.gifWindows XP SP2http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/cwm/cwm/piss.gifNow that's what I'm talkin about! :thumbup: :D

oc