PDA

View Full Version : Ken Caminiti dead at 41

Turn7
10-11-04, 10:34 AM
Looks like 'roids and crack got the best of him.

http://images.chron.com/content/news/photos/04/10/11/kencam1.jpg

Houston Chronicle Story (http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/topstory/2841230)

Wheel-Nut
10-11-04, 11:25 AM
That's a sad story all around. That guy had cannon at 3rd base. He could throw Ozzie Smith out from the dugout!

Perhaps the Astros will feed off of this and play some inspired ball tonight!

Jervis Tetch 1
10-12-04, 11:59 PM
I always liked him...just a damn waste.

Ankf00
10-13-04, 12:04 AM
caminiti edgy in final hours (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1900273)

he was apparently in NY to help talk a friend's kid out of doing drugs, "a waste" is damn right. :(

Cart Champion
10-13-04, 04:48 PM
Its always sad to see the results of drug use, and it proves it doesn't matter where you come from or how much money you make, or what you do in life.........you use drugs they'll catch up with you sooner or later. :(

Ankf00
10-14-04, 07:04 PM
"Preliminary results of the autopsy performed on Ken Caminiti show that the former National League MVP died of a drug overdose, a New York City police source told ESPN's Jeremy Schaap."

"The medical examiner's office performed the autopsy on Monday, but a spokesperson for the medical examiner said Thursday that no official cause of death would be announced until the completion of a toxicology report, which could take up to 10 days."

was really hoping this wouldn't be the case
:( :shakehead:

Dave99
10-14-04, 07:39 PM
he was apparently in NY to help talk a friend's kid out of doing drugs... :(
I sure hope that kid got the message! :saywhat:

RTKar
10-14-04, 08:12 PM
Oh well, another spoiled rich "celebrity" dies from drugs......just making room for another one.

DaveL
10-14-04, 10:56 PM
Steriods kill. The heart is a muscle and 'roids enlarge the heart. Eventually the heart gives out. And if that's doesn't cause death, liver and kidney failure will do it. Or, the steriod taker commits suicide out of the severe depression caused by the chemical imbalance steriods cause. Oh, and forget about reproducing because steriods cause sterility.

Taking steriods is like making a deal with the devil. You get great short term benefits but the pay a heavy price in the end.

Dave99
10-14-04, 10:59 PM
DaveL, you forgot cancer. Another ramification of a messed up immune system. :(

DaveL
10-14-04, 11:15 PM
DaveL, you forgot cancer. Another ramification of a messed up immune system. :(

My bad. Lyle Alzado comes to mind.

Jervis Tetch 1
10-14-04, 11:31 PM
Steriods kill. The heart is a muscle and 'roids enlarge the heart. Eventually the heart gives out. And if that's doesn't cause death, liver and kidney failure will do it. Or, the steriod taker commits suicide out of the severe depression caused by the chemical imbalance steriods cause. Oh, and forget about reproducing because steriods cause sterility.

Taking steriods is like making a deal with the devil. You get great short term benefits but the pay a heavy price in the end.I remember when I first worked out in college. The weight room instructor told me I was strong for my size, but that if I really wanted to "bulk up" and join the big boys I would have to take steroids. This was back in 1985 and I wasn't sure about the possibilities or ramifications, I mean this was before any real news about steroids. I thought about it, but decided no, I didn't want to introduce anything foreign into my "temple." I never got big nor joined the big boys, but I'm reasonably healthy (knock wood) for a 42-year-old.

A small side note however. I developed a horrible heat rash this summer which itched to no end and it drove me nuts. The rash spread and the itch turned maddening when my girl demanded I see my doctor.

He recognized the problem and gave me a prescription for a type of steroid. Immediately horrible thoughts went through my head, but both doctor and pharmicist assured me that nothing bad would happen because this would be for only a short time (two weeks). They did the trick as my itch and rash subsided after only a few days and disappeared altogether.

Now had I taken then back in '85 and continued, I might have ended up like poor Caminiti.

I'm truly sorry he's gone, but he should have known. :shakehead

Dave99
10-15-04, 12:26 AM
Interesting story, Jervis Tetch.

Reminds me of my sophmore year in high school. One teacher of mine was the varsity football, baseball and, later, golf coach and one the most liked, loved and respected on campus and in the community by both faculty and students alike.

One day after practice he was telling us about his steroid use during his playing days as a linebacker at Fresno State in the mid 60's. He said that at the time not much was known about long-term health risks but he later learned from doctors that three side effects were hair loss, kidney stones and cancer.

He was having problems with kidney stones (which brought on his lecture to us) and his hair loss, though not significant, had preceded that. He died of cancer less than two years later.

RIP Mr. Heavner :(

pchall
10-15-04, 12:23 PM
Steroids were rampant in the weight room at my HS in the early 70s. I was told by an assistant b-ball coach that they were the way to get beyond being the white guy on the end of the bench. When the CC team won state I was probably the only runner not using. Strange days, those.

Jervis Tetch 1
10-15-04, 01:07 PM
Dave 99, your story is very interesting too, but alas has a sad ending.

Kudos to all of us who decided it was better to get by on our own talent.