PDA

View Full Version : It's Gym Not a ******* Night Club!!!!!!!!!!!

JohnHKart
10-08-04, 05:42 AM
Went to my gym today, all ready to get on the stairmaster and rock out to my beloved mix CD's of melodic Euro Hard Rock from artists like Yngwie Malmsteen and Deep Purple's Glenn Hughes. Walked in the door, only to find loud RandB and Hip Hop blasting at night club levels. When I asked why was the music so loud, I was told they had hired a dj, "but just for tonight sir"......"Well I'm leaving," I said.I proceeded to go talk to the manager, and I just came unglued and in a nuclear blast of anger told him I'm a musician who plays in night clubs four nights a week and I get enough of that sh**t when I'm at work. I then said I paid good money to work out here, and wasn't paying to have them blast their choice of "music" at me and that I wasn't very happy about it. I really felt violated that they did this, I can only work out to my music, after 11 years of workouts, by a lengthy process of trial and error, I've arrived at a set formula that inspires and motivates me to perform at a sustained level of energy. There would have been no way in hell I could hear my headphones with that stuff at the volume level it was at, and even if it was stuff I liked, I still wouldn't have wanted to have been subjected to that. I love loud music like anybody, (I'm not too old yet as the saying goes,) but forcing your crap on people and thinking everybody will like it is just flat out wrong. I'm sure most of the people there wouldn't appreciate it if I cranked up Purple's Burn at those levels now would they?

John

cart7
10-08-04, 05:46 AM
Snatch some chill John. Ya' know? Plum git into da whup' an' let da damn
rhythm move yo' ass t' some tighta' waist an' flatta' stomach. Catch lata'. I
is out. Right on!

Cart7

chop456
10-08-04, 07:28 AM
I'm sure most of the people there wouldn't appreciate it if I cranked up Purple's Burn at those levels now would they?

I know I wouldn't. :D

oddlycalm
10-08-04, 02:45 PM
It's Gym Not a ******* Night Club!!!!!!!!!!! It's also not a think tank John. The brain trusts that run gyms are often not the most, um... enlightened one encounters. Probably best not to break out the automatic weapons quite yet. Give them a chance to rethink (may cause cramping in some gym personnel) their position, and if they insist on repeats, take your business elsewhere.

I've had similar annoying experiences with various gyms over the years, but I did manage to get even with one of them. I ran into the woman that owns the gym I used to play racquetball at when I was at the store with the neighbor's 19yr old daughter getting some stuff for a neighborhood BBQ. The gym owner had always been a nosey PITA. She asked me how I had been and I told her flatly that I'd had cancer three times since we had last crossed paths. That put her off balance and she stammered and stuttered for an extended moment. Before she could fully recover I introduced the neighbor's kid as my wife. The kid played it beautifully, and smiled sweetly and put her arm around me, which pretty much finished that particular conversation.... :D

oc

Ankf00
10-08-04, 03:36 PM
It's also not a think tank John. The brain trusts that run gyms are often not the most, um... enlightened one encounters. Probably best not to break out the automatic weapons quite yet. Give them a chance to rethink (may cause cramping in some gym personnel) their position, and if they insist on repeats, take your business elsewhere.

I've had similar annoying experiences with various gyms over the years, but I did manage to get even with one of them. I ran into the woman that owns the gym I used to play racquetball at when I was at the store with the neighbor's 19yr old daughter getting some stuff for a neighborhood BBQ. The gym owner had always been a nosey PITA. She asked me how I had been and I told her flatly that I'd had cancer three times since we had last crossed paths. That put her off balance and she stammered and stuttered for an extended moment. Before she could fully recover I introduced the neighbor's kid as my wife. The kid played it beautifully, and smiled sweetly and put her arm around me, which pretty much finished that particular conversation.... :D

oc

Nice move. :D

Anteater
10-10-04, 02:28 PM
oddlycalm, I can just see you doing that! :rofl:

I like to use the aerobics room at my gym when there are no classes scheduled; it is perfect for rehearsing my choreographies, and was a tremendous help when I practiced for a dance competition last winter (in which I was a winner). I was there a couple of months ago, though, and the bimbo on the front desk couldn't figure out how to turn on the lights in the empty aerobics room. So she brought the night manager in to talk to me. He informed me that it was "against gym policy" for me to use the aerobics room when there were no classes. This was his way of covering his embarrassment over not knowing how to turn on the lights. Dumba$$! :shakehead

Rogue Leader
10-10-04, 03:03 PM
There was some dumbass that used to work at my Gym. I go at 6 am and I would walk in and Howard Stern would be on, which is fine for me, or the satelite radio modern rock station, which is also fine. I am like one of 3 people in the place at this time and the other 2 are fat chicks on treadmills. This guy comes and turnes the radio to Hot 97 (the local rap station) that plays cRap music and has this retarded morning show that sounds like a bunch of retards licking eachother. THEN he leaves the room im in and goes and does something else!! I'm like thanks dick I'm the only one in here and I gotta listen to your cRap and you're not even here?!?!?!

He got fired eventually, and I'm much happier!

oddlycalm
10-10-04, 04:39 PM
This was his way of covering his embarrassment over not knowing how to turn on the lights.Yep, that's what I'm talkin about, real genuises. The lights are an insurmountable challenge, yet I'd bet he knows chapter and verse on the staff gossip about the members. :rolleyes: Every time someone on the news says we are transitioning to a service economy this is the kind of stuff that pops into my mind. :laugh:

oc

JohnHKart
10-10-04, 06:23 PM
I want to add to this, I also absolutely hate the fact that they've brought TV's into Gyms. I watch enough at home thank you. I'm armed with a remote so if nobody's watching the tv in front of me I switch it off. All I need is my music, I actually practice drum parts when I'm on the stair master, which I'm sure looks completely stupid and funny, and I'd be laughing at me if I was walking by. But my rythm and time skills were one of my weak points of being a musician and now they aren't.
My old gym which was torn down never had tv's in the locker room but I notice all the new ones do. These tend to be too loud, bouncing off the walls, so I always mute them when I enter.

John

oddlycalm
10-11-04, 01:16 PM
Goop point John. TV's are to a gym what fuzzy dice are to a car; unecessary and in questionable taste. The real tragedy is that a lot of people are uncomfortable without background noise at all times. Apparently being left to one's own thoughts is a scary proposition for those without any... :D

oc

Ankf00
10-11-04, 01:32 PM
Goop point John. TV's are to a gym what fuzzy dice are to a car; unecessary and in questionable taste.
oc

what about the token hooters girl's z28/SS/trans-am w/ floral arrangement hanging off the rearview? :laugh:

B3RACER1a
10-11-04, 01:34 PM
Plum git into da whup' an' let da damn rhythm move yo' ass t' some tighta' waist an' flatta' stomach. Catch lata'. I is out. Right on!

LOL! :rofl:

RHR_Fan
10-11-04, 11:55 PM
I'm glad I don't have to put up with any of that crap. At the YMCA (where I work out) they have an adult rock station on, but that's the only noise (besides the machines). They have TV's, but w/ closed captioning. I personally don't mind the TV's. I watched part of an Atlantic's race at the Y once.

~Nicole

anait
10-12-04, 12:01 AM
^^^ Yup, our Y has TVs on closed captioning, too. One TV on SportsNet, one on a local station, and one on CNN, I think. Lots of people bring Walkmans.

They're not called Walkmans anymore, are they... :o :laugh:

RaceCat
10-16-04, 01:11 AM
I want to add to this, I also absolutely hate the fact that they've brought TV's into Gyms. I watch enough at home thank you. I'm armed with a remote so if nobody's watching the tv in front of me I switch it off. All I need is my music, I actually practice drum parts when I'm on the stair master, which I'm sure looks completely stupid and funny, and I'd be laughing at me if I was walking by. But my rythm and time skills were one of my weak points of being a musician and now they aren't.
My old gym which was torn down never had tv's in the locker room but I notice all the new ones do. These tend to be too loud, bouncing off the walls, so I always mute them when I enter.

John

I can totally relate to this post. I get into the gym and on go my headphones and I tune out the world and go into my own. In the day's when I wore glasses, before my lasix surgery, I would take off my glasses too. I don't go to the gym to talk to people or meet people or to interact with anyone. I'm there for me and I like to listen to what I want. I hate the tv's too....except theres a race on and then I get on the treadmill and walk / run for 2 hours. (I really do too!) :)

RaceCat

nrc
10-19-04, 09:59 PM
Something for those of you who don't want TVs playing in your gymn: TV-B-Gone.

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20041020/D85QR55O0.html

oddlycalm
10-20-04, 12:34 PM
Something for those of you who don't want TVs playing in your gymn: TV-B-Gone.

American ingenuity triumphs once again. :D :thumbup: Thanks nrc, I already ordered mine.

oc