PDA

View Full Version : NYC Mario Andretti Exhibit Pics!

Rogue Leader
10-07-04, 07:10 PM
http://community.webshots.com/user/tta861

Check em out I took pics there. I also went to Tourneau for the Serenade of Time and Speed display but it was closed for the day... however they did have Champcar Races playing on all the TVs in the store which was cool!

Wheel-Nut
10-08-04, 10:08 AM
Cool pics. Thanks for sharing.

Ziggy
10-08-04, 11:41 AM
Cool, nice pictures of the old sprinter, thanks :thumbup:

Warlock!
10-08-04, 11:43 AM
Cool pics. Thanks for sharing.
Very :cool:

Warlock!

skaven
10-08-04, 12:51 PM
Those are some awesome race cars. Best thing I've seen all day. Thanks for posting the photos. :)

What was the history of the sprinter? (a little before my time)

Methanolandbrats
10-08-04, 01:28 PM
Nice shots. The turbine car sure brings back memories....reminds me of when Indy was about mechanical innovation, driving ability, excellence of execution and it was a World Class Event. FTG :mad:

G.
10-08-04, 02:08 PM
padded steering wheel (for safety).

http://community.webshots.com/photo/197283522/197285494fgjgCh

cool pics.

theunions
10-08-04, 02:30 PM
What was the history of the sprinter? (a little before my time)

It's a little before my time too...but that's the Rufus Gray Gapco Spl. with which he ran 15 USAC races and finished 3rd in the Sprint car championship in 1964.

From Kirby's "Mario Andretti: A Driving Passion" (p. 54):

After Trenton Rufus Gray asked Mario to race the Gapco sprinter in place of top USAC sprint car ace Jud Larson (ironically, Larson was considered too big for the car). Mario considers this one of the biggest breaks of his career because it provided him with the platform to step into Champ cars full time.

theunions
10-08-04, 02:38 PM
Nice shots. The turbine car sure brings back memories...

What turbine car is that? I don't recall seeing any in the shots...and IIRC the only time he ever ran one was when he jumped into Leonard's Lotus wedge at Riverside at the season finale in '68 after his own car broke in a desperate attempt to wrestle the championship away from Uncle Bobby...and then 1 1/2 laps later crashed into Art Pollard, destroying the last two Lotus wedges in USAC competition (then he jumped into Ruby's Mongoose and finished 3rd...but still lost the championship).

skaven
10-08-04, 04:42 PM
It's a little before my time too...but that's the Rufus Gray Gapco Spl. with which he ran 15 USAC races and finished 3rd in the Sprint car championship in 1964.

From Kirby's "Mario Andretti: A Driving Passion" (p. 54):

Thanks. This is a great example of why I try to come to this site everyday - great people and knowledgeable fans. :thumbup: :)

oddlycalm
10-09-04, 04:08 PM
Nice pics, thanks RL. Enjoyed all of them but the MV Augusta track bike brought back some powerful memories as well.

oc