PDA

View Full Version : SCCA drops rally at the end of the season

Tifosi24
10-05-04, 04:58 PM
The title says it all, and after 31 years of sanctioning they will be turning their back on stage rallying. The reason is somewhat lame, but then again from what you hear from guys in the rallying community they have always been the redheaded step child of the club. Hopefully some other groups will step up and take over sanctioning, because it would be a shame if there was no performance rallying on a large scale next season. http://www.specialstage.com/view.asp?StoryID=424

Methanolandbrats
10-05-04, 05:04 PM
WOW :eek:

FCYTravis
10-05-04, 05:26 PM
IMO STUPID STUPID STUPID decision. Just as SFR was getting ready to REINTRODUCE SCCA stage rallying here in NorCal.

cart7
10-05-04, 07:11 PM
I can't believe SCCA can't spin them off into their own entity while keeping loose reigns on it yet removing some of the liability. To think their doing this when WRC is thinking about breaking into the US market just isn't smart.

pchall
10-05-04, 07:59 PM
Ohio is not the rally capital of the universe, but we had a damned good one near Chillicothe. And the POR up north was priceless.

Tifosi24
10-06-04, 12:54 AM
I was able to find a little more information about the topic from the SpecialStage forums before the site went over bandwith tonight. On the whole the rally community actually sees this as a plus, because in the future people with experience in rallying will be doing the work and not those with a bias to road racing. The off-shot option looks like it could be a possibility, but with NASA having an upstart non-professional championship and a group similar to the "Three Amigos" in place it would appear that rally will be taking its own path. Apparently something like this happened in Canada a few years ago, and judging by the success of rallying up North us race fans won't have to be worry about another quality motor sport dying out. And pchall, Ohio was once one of the main players in American performance rally. Before my time there was in fact a championship based solely within the state, but poor organization (locals not happy) killed it off. Also those in SFR shouldn't worry about all the work they have put into getting rallying up again, the head of NASA rally sport has opened current and future organizers with open arms. All of this new beginning stuff has got me in the mood to dust off the work I started on with my rally in Iowa, I just can't seem to get rid of this rally bug.