PDA

View Full Version : Mythbusters

nrc
10-05-04, 01:28 PM
Cool new show on Discovery called Mythbusters. Two yahoos... err trained proffessional stunt men test the plausibility of common urban legends. On the first episode they tested whether someone could get blown off a toilet by an explosion of common household chemicals and whether it would be possible to make an "ice bullet".

chop456
10-05-04, 01:40 PM
Watch for the episode with the rotten, liquified hog carcass sealed in the Corvette. :eek:

rabbit
10-05-04, 01:49 PM
Watch for the episode with the rotten, liquified hog carcass sealed in the Corvette. :eek:
An instant classic. :saywhat:

devilmaster
10-05-04, 02:14 PM
this is an awesome show.....

here are some of my favorites:

building a tree trunk cannon
looking for jimmy hoffa - which required putting a hog carcass in fresh cement
testing wether a handgun would create a massive decompression of an airliner
shooting turkeys into a small plane fuselage
putting buster (their crash test dummy) into the washing machine
testing to see if a cop car would lose an axle if attached to a pole
testing to see if a cab would be blown over by a jet wash
testing to see if urinating on the third rail will kill someone by electric shock

Steve

anait
10-05-04, 02:16 PM
Yup, hilarious show. :thumbup: The one about whether body piercings make one more likely to be struck by lightning was a hoot, too...although I couldn't watch him get his tongue pierced... :eek:

Wabbit
10-05-04, 02:19 PM
There was one about urineating on the electric rail of a subway. That was funny :rofl:

JoeBob
10-05-04, 02:33 PM
New show? Its been on for a while. There were a few "Mythbusters specials" in January 2003, and season one started about a year ago.

The second season started over the summer. I was pretty impressed with the "Explosive Decompression" episode.

It was also interesting to find out on the most recent episode that the "bulletproof shield" they used last season wasn't bulletproof - or even close to it.

nrc
10-05-04, 02:45 PM
Gee, I guess I should have said "New to me." Sorry I missed it before. Thanks of the heads up guys, if it weren't for the TiVo showcase I'd still be missing it. :p

They have a bunch of episodes showing on Saturday, I think.

oddlycalm
10-05-04, 03:16 PM
testing to see if urinating on the third rail will kill someone by electric shock[/list]

We did an ad hoc test of our own, although it was unplanned, when our male Australian Shepherd (now deceased) saluted an electric fence. There was a loud cracking sound, a yelp, and a dog barely hitting the high spots as he crossed a 5 acre field at a speed we had never seen out of him before. :D

Ya gotta love a show that regularly rigs explosions and fires. :thumbup:

oc

Railbird
10-05-04, 03:21 PM
My favorite wierd show.

How much fun are those guys having?

Sean O'Gorman
10-05-04, 03:25 PM
I liked the one where they got plastered and tried to find ways to get around the breathlyzer test. :laugh:

JoeBob
10-05-04, 05:24 PM
How much fun are those guys having?

No kidding! Blowing stuff up in new and creative ways - and getting paid to do it? Pretty sweet gig.

Some interesting episodes coming up this season: http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythbusters/episode/episode.html

Ziggy
10-05-04, 05:26 PM
I watch the show whenever I surf upon it. I agree SeanO, the episode where they were getting hammered was a gas.

Did you see where they tried to get a cell phone to cause a spark?
Frozen bullet?
exploding toliet?

Its a good show IMO

DjDrOmusic
10-06-04, 10:38 AM
I think they should do an episode about the possibility of a third generation family member being able to destroy a world class event and sporting facility in just a few short months.... ;)