PDA

View Full Version : Is this something new from Honda?

Wheel-Nut
10-05-04, 10:38 AM
Powerful, Advanced and Environmentally Friendly Powertrain

The Odyssey powertrain uses the latest innovations to achieve the highest levels of performance, fuel economy and low emissions in the minivan segment. The Odyssey's engine is an advanced 3.5-liter SOHC 24-valve 60-degree V-6 aluminum-block-and-head design that is both lightweight and powerful. Two engine configurations are available - the standard 255 horsepower VTEC SOHC V-6 in the LX and EX models and a 255 horsepower i-VTEC SOHC V-6 with Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) in the EX with Leather and Touring models.

The i-VTEC engine provides both class-leading fuel economy and horsepower. Both engine configurations produce 250 lb.-ft. of torque and only require regular unleaded gasoline to achieve peak power.

The VCM system switches the V-6 engine between 6- and 3-cylinder operation to achieve maximum power and efficiency. When high output is required the engine uses all six cylinders. During cruising and low engine loads, the system can temporarily idle the rear bank of three cylinders for greater fuel economy. An Active Control Engine Mount System (ACM) and an Active Noise Control (ANC) system are used to eliminate the effects of engine vibration and noise inherent to any variable cylinder system, making the system's operation virtually transparent to the vehicle's occupants.

The front-wheel-drive Odyssey's compact 5-speed automatic transmission provides ultra-smooth and efficient operation characteristics with the adoption of a direct-control shift system that works with the drive-by-wire throttle control.

Ankf00
10-05-04, 11:12 AM
dunno if it's new for honda, but I know that idea's been around elsewhere

Turn7
10-05-04, 11:14 AM
Hopefully they have it sorted out better than Cadillac did in '81.

Remember the V8-6-4?

Methanolandbrats
10-05-04, 11:43 AM
Maybe it's a derivative of their 03 F1 motor. That disabled cylinders while cruising too :laugh:

chop456
10-05-04, 11:50 AM
Say what you will about Honda. If the big 3 could build a minivan like the Odyssey, they wouldn't be in the hole they're in. Ford and Chrysler both just did complete redesigns of their minivans. According ot the car mags, the OLD Oddyssey is still better than the new Freestar or Caravan. The new Odyssey is supposed to be stellar.

Maybe they'll wake up in time to read the news of their death. :shakehead

anait
10-05-04, 11:51 AM
Maybe it's a derivative of their 03 F1 motor. That disabled cylinders while cruising too :laugh:

:rofl:

Wheel-Nut
10-05-04, 11:52 AM
My wife likes the Odyssey and the '05 doesn't look bad. She wants to get a new car, bad!! I put her off through the summer saying lets wait for the new '05 models to hit the market that way we can get a deal on an '04.

Perhaps I can milk this out (the engine thing) for 6 months to see what kind of reviews the '05 gets.

Wheel-Nut
10-05-04, 11:54 AM
I agree with you chop. Racing business aside, this being the real world and its MY money on the table, the Honda is hard to beat!

racer2c
10-05-04, 11:55 AM
The new Chrysler 300C Hemi has this same technology.

Wabbit
10-05-04, 12:07 PM
I heard Dodge was planning on doing this on the 2006 trucks. Once it gets to highway speeds, half the cylenders will cut out unless more power is needed. I heard they were expecting 25MPG hwy in a V8 truck.

nrc
10-05-04, 01:17 PM
Say what you will about Honda. If the big 3 could build a minivan like the Odyssey, they wouldn't be in the hole they're in. Ford and Chrysler both just did complete redesigns of their minivans. According ot the car mags, the OLD Oddyssey is still better than the new Freestar or Caravan. The new Odyssey is supposed to be stellar.

Maybe they'll wake up in time to read the news of their death. :shakehead

Cool. In five years this supposedly stellar vehicle can join the fleet of Honda rustboxs I've been seeing on the road lately.

Magazine writers love yen, too. I wonder how much a stellar review costs.

Ok, it's not all payoffs. Some folks just have a Honda fetish. If you like mushy, limp ride and drive characteristics I guess I can understand it.

Sean O'Gorman
10-05-04, 03:20 PM
I've driven the new Freestar and the inside is very nice (so is the Town & Country), but I'd imagine that after three years or so, the Honda would be much more appealing when it comes to maintenence, reliability, resale value, etc.

nrc
10-05-04, 03:32 PM
I've driven the new Freestar and the inside is very nice (so is the Town & Country), but I'd imagine that after three years or so, the Honda would be much more appealing when it comes to maintenence, reliability, resale value, etc.

And I'd imagine that the Town & Country's coin trays will magically refill with quarters every night.

Ankf00
10-05-04, 04:54 PM
Cool. In five years this supposedly stellar vehicle can join the fleet of Honda rustboxs I've been seeing on the road lately.

Magazine writers love yen, too. I wonder how much a stellar review costs.

Ok, it's not all payoffs. Some folks just have a Honda fetish. If you like mushy, limp ride and drive characteristics I guess I can understand it.

and a vehicle that lasts for 10 years w/o major problems with a powertrain and drivetrain that doesnt require recalls every 3 years :p

nrc
10-05-04, 05:32 PM
and a vehicle that lasts for 10 years w/o major problems with a powertrain and drivetrain that doesnt require recalls every 3 years :p

Why would you want to keep a rustbucket that long?

1993 Mazda Miata: 120,683 miles. No major problems. No recalls. No rust.

Wheel-Nut
10-05-04, 05:50 PM

Down here in Texas we don't have the same rust problems as in yankee land.

oddlycalm
10-05-04, 05:57 PM
and a vehicle that lasts for 10 years w/o major problems with a powertrain and drivetrain that doesnt require recalls every 3 years :pTalk to a person that owns one if you want anecdotes, talk to a fleet manager if you want the real story. The fleet operations people I know wouldn't agree with your assessment but then they don't run them for 10yrs either.

oc

indyfan31
10-05-04, 05:58 PM
I've never bought a Japanese car, and I can't see that I ever will, but I do agree that car magazines go gaga over Japanese and German cars.
My last car was an '83 Mustang (that's right, a FORD from the 80's), I had it for 15 years: 170K miles, no major problems, no recalls, no rust.

nrc
10-05-04, 05:59 PM
Not sure whether to post this here or in the Mythbusters thread.

Make: HONDA
Model: ODYSSEY
Year: 2004
Recall Number: 04V176000
Summary:
ON SOME MINI VANS, SPORT UTILITY AND PASSENGER VEHICLES, CERTAIN OPERATING CONDITIONS CAN RESULT IN HEAT BUILD-UP BETWEEN THE COUNTERSHAFT AND SECONDARY SHAFT SECOND GEARS IN THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, EVENTUALLY LEADING TO GEAR TOOTH CHIPPING OR GEAR BREAKAGE.
Consequence:
GEAR FAILURE COULD RESULT IN TRANSMISSION LOCKUP, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.
Remedy:
ON VEHICLES WITH 15,000 MILES OR LESS, THE DEALER WILL UPDATE THE TRANSMISSION WITH A SIMPLE REVISION TO THE OIL COOLER RETURN LINE TO INCREASE LUBRICATION TO THE SECOND GEAR. ON VEHICLES WITH MORE THAN 15,000 MILES, THE DEALER WILL INSPECT THE TRANSMISSION TO IDENTIFY GEARS THAT HAVE ALREADY EXPERIENCED DISCOLORATION DUE TO OVERHEATING. IF DISCOLORATION EXISTS, THE TRANSMISSION WILL BE REPLACED IF DISCOLORATION IS NOT PRESENT, THE DEALER WILL PERFORM THE REVISION TO THE OIL COOLER RETURN LINE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON APRIL 21, 2004, FOR PILOT, ODYSSEY, AND MDX OWNERS. OWNERS OF THE ACCORD VEHICLES WILL START RECEIVING LETTERS ON JUNE 28, 2004, AND ON JUNE 29, 2004, FOR OWNERS OF THE TL AND CL VEHICLES. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009 OR ACURA AT 1-800-382-2238.
Notes:
HONDA RECALL NOS. P30 (ODYSSEY AND PILOT), P31 (MDX), P38 (ACCORD) AND P39 (ACURA). CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

Make: HONDA
Model: ODYSSEY
Year: 2004
Recall Number: 04V420000
Summary:
ON CERTAIN MINIVANS, THE FUEL PUMP MAY FAIL DUE TO CORROSION OF AN ELECTRICAL TERMINAL.
Consequence:
IF THE PUMP STOPS WORKING, EHT ENGINE WILL STALL WITHOUT WARNING, AND A CRASH COULD OCCUR.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL CHECK THE ELECTRICAL COUPLER TERMINAL OF THE FUEL PUMP. IF ANY CORROSION IS FOUND, THE PUMP WILL BE REPLACED. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN SEPTEMBER 24, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009.
Notes:
HONDA RECALL NO. P43. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

Ankf00
10-05-04, 06:11 PM
comparing honda and ford's reliability records from the past 10-20 years, I'll take the honda. CCWS and brand loyalty can eat me.

and ou still sucks.

oddlycalm
10-05-04, 06:22 PM
Hopefully they have it sorted out better than Cadillac did in '81. Remember the V8-6-4?I guarantee that anyone that bought one of those steaming road turds, and is still alive, remembers it vividly. :laugh:

The irony is that since 1981 the Asian iron has put on a lot of weight and added cylinders and now find themselves in a similar bind so we are seeing similar solutions. IMO if serious fuel economy is the excercise a 4000+lb vehicle with either an 8-6-4 or a 6-3 scheme is not the answer. What people will get is bigger headaches and compromised driveability in return for incrementally better fuel mileage. Then again, the marketing people know well that offering folks the tooth fairy always works a lot better than offering a dose of reality.

oc

RichK
10-05-04, 06:30 PM
Totally agree, oddlycalm.

Why do people need 240hp "economy" sedans? When my in-laws went Camry shopping, there were over 20 4-cylinder models gathering dust on the lot, and they had to compromise on color and options so that they could get the V6 model "with power for passing".

Methanolandbrats
10-05-04, 06:41 PM

Why do people need 240hp "economy" sedans? When my in-laws went Camry shopping, there were over 20 4-cylinder models gathering dust on the lot, and they had to compromise on color and options so that they could get the V6 model "with power for passing". Diesel is the answer if you want big power and economy.

Ankf00
10-05-04, 06:47 PM

Why do people need 240hp "economy" sedans? When my in-laws went Camry shopping, there were over 20 4-cylinder models gathering dust on the lot, and they had to compromise on color and options so that they could get the V6 model "with power for passing".

the old camrys were cool because they were sized for the 4 cyl, the old accords were the same way, now they're growing closer to crown vic proportions and w/o the 6 you have no power w/ a semi-full passenger load

RichK
10-05-04, 06:55 PM
Yes, that's true, the new Civics are probably heavier than the first Accords!

But the 4cyl Camry has more than enough power at 160hp. People want more, I guess.

KLang
10-05-04, 07:26 PM
Why do people need 240hp "economy" sedans?.

I need my 270hp just in case there is an emergency and I need to get out of the way in a hurry. :p

(that's my story and I'm sticken to it)

Sean O'Gorman
10-05-04, 07:28 PM

Yeah, but does it see winter driving?

Wheel-Nut
10-05-04, 08:38 PM
Well, now that this has turned into a Ford vs Honda pissing match and no one seems to have any useful info on this "new"? / "old"? engine idea I'll wait 6 months and see what pans out.

Thanks for playing!

nrc
10-05-04, 08:56 PM
Yeah, but does it see winter driving?

Yes, frequently. Most of it sideways.

nrc
10-05-04, 09:00 PM
Well, now that this has turned into a Ford vs Honda pissing match and no one seems to have any useful info on this "new"? / "old"? engine idea I'll wait 6 months and see what pans out.

Thanks for playing!

You asked a yes or no question and quoted a press release. Someone answered the question. What else did you want to know?

Sean O'Gorman
10-05-04, 09:09 PM
Yes, frequently. Most of it sideways.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Miatas and MR2s and the such actually make excellent snow vehicles, IMO. Well, at least with the right tires.

Ankf00
10-05-04, 09:11 PM
saw a HOT mom in a red miata next to NASA today :) I like miatas :thumbup: just felt like sharing

OU sucks.

(better?;))

Sean O'Gorman
10-05-04, 09:13 PM
Ank, is that really you?

Sorry, I didn't recognize your post without some stupid reference to OU in it. :D

Methanolandbrats
10-05-04, 09:22 PM
Yoda minivan is the most fun to drive. Honda is a nice appliance. Ford is a POS. Dodge is a complete POS. This comes from personal experience with friends vehicles. Ford toasted wheel bearings and head gaskets, stranded three times. Dodge....oh sheet....coughed up about every moving part by 100k. Windows fell into the doors, AC quit, driveshafts broke, trans puked and it sounded like a can full of bolts. Dodge told my buddy "if you choose to drive your vehicle beyond 80,000 miles you're on your own" :rofl:

nrc
10-05-04, 09:25 PM
Yoda minivan is the most fun to drive.

Heh heh. He said "minivan" and "fun to drive" in the same sentence.
:laugh:

Wheel-Nut
10-05-04, 09:26 PM
You asked a yes or no question and quoted a press release. Someone answered the question. What else did you want to know?

You're right, question was answered with the first reply, I should have stopped reading there.

Carry on.

Methanolandbrats
10-05-04, 09:29 PM
Heh heh. He said "minivan" and "fun to drive" in the same sentence.
:laugh: Remember when you were drunk and a fat girl was better than no girl..............that kind of "fun to drive".

pfc_m_drake
10-05-04, 09:42 PM
With regard to recalls and whatnot, I don't hold them against a particular company (unless it turns into a chronic thing), because in reality it can happen to the best of them.

Case in point: The guy I sit next to at the Bills games told me he got a recall notice in the mail the other day for his BMW M3. Nothing major...just needs to have the connecting rod bearings replaced :eek:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70630

Ankf00
10-05-04, 09:43 PM
"riding a moped is like riding a fat chick,
it's alot of fun 'till someone sees ya doing it."
-college buddy

*cue nicole "you're mean!"* :p

chop456
10-06-04, 11:12 AM
I can only speak from the experiences that friends have had. Of my friends/relatives who have Odysseys, one has had the transmission replacedn (You know who you are :D ). Of my friends who have Mopar minivans, there's only one that HASN'T had the trans fixed. My neighbor is on his 2nd rebuild with 50K on the clock. Another had 2 rebuilds by 90k. Sister-in-law's has 2 rebuilds at 55k. These are not tow vehicles.

The sister in law asked me for advice when they were buying and I told her to get the Honda. She bought the T&C for 5k more than the top Odyssey EX. They're trading it in now and it's worth 5k less than the Odyssey would have been! That's 10k out of pocket for a vehicle that's been shedding parts for the last 5 years. And she's buying another Chrysler because of those snappy folding 2nd row seats that Chrysler spent $400m developing/retooling for. Duh! :shakehead:

While "Buy American" is a valid reason, it's not with the Odyssey. Almost every part of that car is made in the U.S, right down to the engine blocks.

While I hate what Honda did to CART, it's not worth $10k of my money to protest it. To each their own.

Oddly enough, nrc has about the only American car I've lusted after in the last 10 years besides the Corvette. :D

Turn7
10-06-04, 11:35 AM
I have never owned a Honda auto but, my parents have owned 2.

A 1986 Accord that had the tranny drop parts out along the highway after 20,000 miles and now a 2004 Minivan that just had to be taken in for a tranny recall.

Seems to me that the Honda transmissions suck.

I have a Ford truck with 138K on it. Never even changed the plugs and it runs like a top. Keep the oil changed, and tires on it and it is good to go.

sadams
10-06-04, 01:43 PM
98 Dodge Pickup Diesel 138K oil/filters/brakes/tires/shocks That's it
02 PT Cruiser 60K oil/filters/tires That's it
04 VW Jetta Diesel 8K oil/filters

Of course all are standard tranmission, I wouldn't drive a slush box for money.

Maybe it's just me or people are rough on equipment.

nrc
10-06-04, 01:51 PM
While "Buy American" is a valid reason, it's not with the Odyssey. Almost every part of that car is made in the U.S, right down to the engine blocks.

While I hate what Honda did to CART, it's not worth $10k of my money to protest it. To each their own.

Honestly if you're trading in vehicles when there's still enough trade in value to be significant consideration you should probably do a lease where you can lock in a favorable residual value.

I'm not even arguing "buy American". I'm arguing get the best value for what you like and what you need. Resale and reliability are part of that, but these days there's not so much difference that it's not a big deal unless those are you're prime consideration.

Oddly enough, nrc has about the only American car I've lusted after in the last 10 years besides the Corvette. :D

SVEET. :)