PDA

View Full Version : RA Season Ticket Renewal

RTKar
10-05-04, 08:26 AM
My notice arrived in the mail yesterday, payment is due Oct 29th ($200), however since there hasn't been an announcement regarding a Champcar race I probably won't renew my pass. There are two TBA's, May 6-8th and July 30-31st. Both TBA's are listed as "Possible Events".

jonovision_man
10-05-04, 09:06 AM
My notice arrived in the mail yesterday, payment is due Oct 29th ($200), however since there hasn't been an announcement regarding a Champcar race I probably won't renew my pass. There are two TBA's, May 6-8th and July 30-31st. Both TBA's are listed as "Possible Events".

Hmm... July 30-31st is very close to the current date of Aug 8...

And the IRL is free May 6-8th...

Curious.

jono

KLang
10-05-04, 09:28 AM
IRL is free May 6-8th

I thought the rumor was that the earl contract with Milwaukee forbid them from racing there. Anyone know if there is any truth to that?

jonovision_man
10-05-04, 09:33 AM
I thought the rumor was that the earl contract with Milwaukee forbid them from racing there. Anyone know if there is any truth to that?

I just took a poke at their schedule, seems that Sunday is "Rookie orientation day" for the 500...

Sounds like something that could be rescheduled without too much trouble?

jono

TRDfan
10-05-04, 10:09 AM
In my email this morning....

"The Road America circuit in Elkhart Lake has announced its primary race calendar for the 2005 season, a calendar that doesn't include the Champ Car World Series…yet.

Although the circuit confirmed that negotiations with Champ Car officials were ongoing with a view to hosting an event in 2005, another disappointing spectator turnout for the 2004 Champ Car Grand Prix of Road America does not bode well.

Circuit president and general manager George Bruggenthies did not offer any comments relating to the future of Champ Cars at the classic four-mile road course as the 2005 schedule was released, although the circuit stressed that the current calendar is still classed as ‘tentative' and that further events may be added.

While the future of Champ Cars at the venue is still undecided, the American Le Mans Series and the AMA Superbike Series will both return along with RA's traditional selection of club and historic weekends."

Methanolandbrats
10-05-04, 10:32 AM
"lthough the circuit confirmed that negotiations with Champ Car officials were ongoing with a view to hosting an event in 2005, another disappointing spectator turnout for the 2004 Champ Car Grand Prix of Road America does not bode well."

There were more people than 2003. 20,000 people X $60 = 1.2 million. Takes time to rebuild an event. If Champcar can cut a $500k check to a ****ty oval in Las Vegas, they better lower the sanction fee for RA until the numbers come back.

pchall
10-05-04, 10:49 AM

E-mail the effers that you will renew with a Champcar event on their schedule but damn them to hell if they offer an IRL show instead.

KLang
10-05-04, 11:03 AM
Champcar can cut a $500k check to a ****ty oval in Las Vegas

Do we actually know that to be a fact beyond Robin saying it is so?

Didn't Gentilozzi say that OWRS spent something like 2.5 million to put on this years RA race?

chop456
10-05-04, 11:17 AM
I just spoke to RA and let them know that when Champcar is back on the schedule, I'll renew my season ticket.

Warlock!
10-05-04, 11:17 AM
E-mail the effers that you will renew with a Champcar event on their schedule but damn them to hell if they offer an IRL show instead.
Exactly. Let them know where you're standing.

[edit] Nice, chop! :thumbup:

Warlock!

Steve99
10-05-04, 11:38 AM
If Champcar can cut a $500k check to a ****ty oval in Las Vegas, they better lower the sanction fee for RA until the numbers come back.

How about RA open there pockets and do some promotion. I was up there this year, and no one in the area had a ****ing clue that their was a race that weekend.

jonovision_man
10-05-04, 11:47 AM
How about RA open there pockets and do some promotion. I was up there this year, and no one in the area had a ****ing clue that their was a race that weekend.

RA blames Champcar for declining popularity.
Champcar blames RA for not promoting.

Repeat.

Where's Mario? :)

jono

RaceGrrl
10-05-04, 12:28 PM
CCWS is a racing series, not a race promoter. Promotion is the job of the venue.

jonovision_man
10-05-04, 12:33 PM
CCWS is a racing series, not a race promoter. Promotion is the job of the venue.

Absolutely.

But the attendance in the past was strong with what I assume was equally laclustre promotion, thanks to the series being so popular. Now it's not so popular, it's going to take some elbow-grease to fill the stands.

jono

RichK
10-05-04, 12:38 PM
Absolutely.

But the attendance in the past was strong with what I assume was equally laclustre promotion, thanks to the series being so popular. Now it's not so popular, it's going to take some elbow-grease to fill the stands.

jono

Promotion was being done for free by Marlboro, Toyota, etc. The track owners got lazy from having their job done for them.

jonovision_man
10-05-04, 12:40 PM
Promotion was being done for free by Marlboro, Toyota, etc. The track owners got lazy from having their job done for them.

Ah. Makes sense.

jono

KLang
10-05-04, 12:43 PM
We usually stay at a hotel in Sheboygan. In years past most resturants and bars had 'Welcome Race Fans' banners plastered all over them. This year nothing. The Chicago Tribune was the title sponsor of the race this year. At the gates they were giving away copies of the newspaper. In the sports section for the Sunday paper I did not see one word about the Champcar race. In years past I remember a special section devoted to the race weekend.

To be fair, I do blame a lot of the attendance decline on the lack of corporate sponsor tents. But, despite RA's claims to the contrary, it was hard to see any promotion for the event.

mueber
10-05-04, 01:01 PM
I have seen nothing from either party that provides hope they are seriously working for an arrangement that will work to their mutual benefit, but I can say this for sure, “If they race there, I’ll be there.”

FRANKY
10-05-04, 01:51 PM

Who did Cleveland?