PDA

View Full Version : Tony Kanaan pays tribute to Greg Moore

stymie
10-04-04, 06:49 PM
Summary of what Tony said during a radio sound bite.
Tony after winning the IRL Championship paid tribute to Greg Moore by doing his donuts on the apron near turn two. Tony stated that Greg was on his mind during the weekend, particularly when he had to start on the tail, where Greg started in his final race. He did not know if Greg's father was watching but wanted to let him know his thoughts were still with Gregs family.

Railbird
10-04-04, 07:51 PM
Kanaan's cool.

RacinM3
10-04-04, 07:52 PM
So not all of the humanity has drained out of his being. Good for him.

pfc_m_drake
10-04-04, 09:34 PM
Awesome story, thanks for posting that!

solpadeine
10-04-04, 10:07 PM
Just today I was thinking to myself, "I wonder if Greg would be in the IRL right now, if he were here?" Funny how this then pops up today. I'm thinking he probably would be (or would have been at least for a while) What do the rest of you think?

Sean O'Gorman
10-04-04, 10:36 PM
Well, he was going to drive for Penske, right?

And his buddies Kaanan, Franchitti, and Papis are either driving in the IRL or for an IRL owner, right?

Hate to say it, but he probably would've gone over.

Lizzerd
10-04-04, 10:47 PM
Greg would have been somewhere in F1 by now.

dando
10-04-04, 11:00 PM
Hard to believe that it's been 5 years.... :cry:

-Kevin

fourrunner
10-04-04, 11:23 PM
Greg would have been somewhere in F1 by now.

Thank you, Lizzerd! :)

RaceCat
10-05-04, 12:10 AM
Tony is a great guy! I've always been a Tony Kanaan fan even if he is driving "over there"! I was happy when I heard that he had won the Championship. If anyone deserves to be a Champion, Tony does. I'm just sorry that he had to do it in the other series.

I think that October can't come and go each year without all of us thinking of Greg. It was nice of Tony to pay tribute to him.

RaceCat

Brickman
10-05-04, 12:36 AM
It was very nice of Tony. We'll also always remember.

Ziggy
10-05-04, 03:34 AM
For Me, the best tribute Tony KaNaan can give Greg is by dropping an anvil on his own head

"I'd pay a dollar to see that", cause if he races in the Earl much longer, He just might do a recreation

JLMannin
10-05-04, 12:20 PM
For Me, the best tribute Tony KaNaan can give Greg is by dropping an anvil on his own head

Standing up, or laying down?

Ziggy
10-05-04, 01:14 PM
Wouldnt matter

Wonder why he only won one race in Champcar?

Oh yeah, the evil car owners never gave him a fair shot

sure glad Tony fixed that........

Kaanan is a wanker champion in a wanker series. Wonder why he never said peep when they trashed the lap record marks Moore held at Homestead which have still not been eclipsed by the Formula Tony cars, just swept under the rug?

Kaanan will do whatever the situation warrents and makes him look like he gives a crap.

FRANKY
10-05-04, 01:48 PM
Kaanan will do whatever the situation warrents and makes him look like he gives a crap.

Are you saying he wasn't sincere in his tribute?

nrc
10-05-04, 02:11 PM
Are you saying he wasn't sincere in his tribute?

Are you saying that you know for a fact that he was?

jonovision_man
10-05-04, 02:15 PM
Are you saying that you know for a fact that he was?

Geez, pick on his driving skills, pick on his personality, but doubting his tribute to a dead fellow driver? :thumdown:

jono

nrc
10-05-04, 02:38 PM
Geez, pick on his driving skills, pick on his personality, but doubting his tribute to a dead fellow driver? :thumdown:

jono

So even if someone is a complete phoney we should suddenly trust their sincerity on this one specific topic?

Frankly I don't think the former CART drivers in the IRL even know themselves what they're sincere about. They're trying to convince themselves as much as anyone else.

racer2c
10-05-04, 02:43 PM
So even if someone is a complete phoney we should suddenly trust their sincerity on this one specific topic?

Frankly I don't think the former CART drivers in the IRL even know themselves what they're sincere about. They're trying to convince themselves as much as anyone else.

It's always been my belief that these race jockeys in the IRL have been fed so much BS that they honestly believe that the IRL in '06 will be the CART they all loved in '95 thru '99. "Just hang in there" is embroidered in their underwear.

jonovision_man
10-05-04, 02:45 PM

This "one specific topic" is a driver's death, and that's not something drivers typically take lightly.

It was a good tribute, some nice thoughts, and I don't think we need to pick it apart beyond that.

jono

Brickman
10-05-04, 03:11 PM
God bless the naysayers... but seeing that Tony was part of the Brat Pack (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/motorsports/news/1999/07/20/cart_bratpack/) and a true friend I think doubting him is kind of silly.

Ziggy
10-05-04, 05:03 PM
and I think that posting this tripe on a Champcar forum is asking for it, which is why Im here.

Look here folks, this sport we all followed is being ripped down the middle, and the ilks of Kanaans in the world are holding both pieces in there greedy little hands.

I dont give a crap if Tony takes his trophy to the cemetary and cries for a week. He aint gonna bring nobody back, and he sure as hail is not going to erase all the negative comments he has made about the series he used to race with.

direct enough for ya?

Thanks for getting it nrc, it gives ME faith that this wont become another site that caves in to the get along to get along mentality

no dictionary was consulted in creation of this post
your milage may vary
Thank God for free speach

posers
Ziggy

rabbit
10-05-04, 05:25 PM
Good posts Ziggy and nrc.

FRANKY
10-05-04, 05:59 PM
and I think that posting this tripe on a Champcar forum is asking for it, which is why Im here.

Look here folks, this sport we all followed is being ripped down the middle, and the ilks of Kanaans in the world are holding both pieces in there greedy little hands.

I dont give a crap if Tony takes his trophy to the cemetary and cries for a week. He aint gonna bring nobody back, and he sure as hail is not going to erase all the negative comments he has made about the series he used to race with.

direct enough for ya?

Thanks for getting it nrc, it gives ME faith that this wont become another site that caves in to the get along to get along mentality

your milage may vary

posers
Ziggy

I would agree that the grass has grown over Greg's grave and remembering him will not bring him back. Whining, complaining about Tony's remembrance serves no purpose except to be counted as someone who doesn't care if Tony cares and remembers his friend or not. Kudos to your free speech. It serves others to know you better. :thumbup:

Sorry I don't recall Tony dissing CART.

jonovision_man
10-05-04, 08:47 PM

direct enough for ya?

your milage may vary

posers
Ziggy

Not everything is about the split.

Take a step back. And a deep breath.

jono

Jervis Tetch 1
10-05-04, 09:57 PM
I'm only speaking for myself, but if it were possible to bring Greg back and for us to do it he had to race in the I*L, I'd gladly want to see it.

But as it is with the anniversary of his death coming up, RIP. We miss you.

FanofMario
10-05-04, 11:17 PM
Sorry I don't recall Tony dissing CART. :rolleyes:

Good response Ziggy and NRC! :thumbup:

DaveL
10-05-04, 11:36 PM
What Ziggy and NRC said.

FCYTravis
10-05-04, 11:58 PM
Tony doesn't NEED to speak against CART.

His action of joining a traitor team run by a traitor driver and funded by a traitor manufacturer tells me all I need to know about him.

RacinM3
10-06-04, 12:20 AM
Drivers are for the most part a pretty close fraternity, from the lowest level of club racing to the highest level of F1. Regardless of how much the IRL and the horrible havoc it has wreaked on open wheel in the US, as a driver I choose to take the high ground and applaud Tony for remembering someone whom none of you can deny was a friend of his at the time of his death. If some choose to further their agenda for or against the IRL by using this instance, I feel bad for you.

We had the CART series and the Indy 500 torn from our hearts. Greg is dead. I know who got the better end of that deal. Get some perspective.

FCYTravis
10-06-04, 12:32 AM
Scott, perhaps Tony does have his heart in the right place. But he has a very strange way of showing it. His actions over the past two years have spoken far louder than any words he could utter.

I'm not furthering any agenda - simply pointing out the contradiction in terms.

With any luck, one day we won't have to argue this point... there'll be only one series to worry about.

RacinM3
10-06-04, 12:34 AM
Travis, you know as well as I do that this is a whole separate issue from the split and it doesn't have s**** to do with CART vs. IRL.

FCYTravis
10-06-04, 12:38 AM
I agree - when a driver is injured or killed, no matter what series, it's a time for mourning and reconciliation, as this week the racing world mourns the two SCCA drivers killed at Thunderhill Park on Friday. :(

The question before this fine panel of forumgoers is, is Tony Kanaan being sincere? All I can say is, I hope so - and I would like to believe so.

TedN
10-06-04, 08:31 AM
The question before this fine panel of forumgoers is, is Tony Kanaan being sincere? All I can say is, I hope so - and I would like to believe so.

If you are so intent on questionning Kanaan's sincerity, why don't you ask him and get back to us.

Ted

:shakehead

stymie
10-06-04, 08:40 AM

direct enough for ya?

your milage may vary

posers
Ziggy

Ziggy, didn't make this post to create a get along attitude, that is why it is in the "OTHERS" board. Just passed it along because Tony said that he paid tribute to a driver that many on this site remember fondly.

I too get and understand what you have said.

FRANKY
10-06-04, 09:34 AM
Tony doesn't NEED to speak against CART.

His action of joining a traitor team run by a traitor driver and funded by a traitor manufacturer tells me all I need to know about him.

All the money that pays the traitors, Manning, Dixon, Castroneves, Franchetti, Kanaan, De Ferran, Barron, Fernandez, Wheldon, Herta, etc. would have gone elsewhere if they passed on it. For the most part they are just punching a clock, making a living. It's like blaming the private for the war in Iraq. But this isn't even supposed to be what this thread is about.

Scott, perhaps Tony does have his heart in the right place. But he has a very strange way of showing it. His actions over the past two years have spoken far louder than any words he could utter.

I'm not furthering any agenda - simply pointing out the contradiction in terms.

With any luck, one day we won't have to argue this point... there'll be only one series to worry about.

B.S. There isn't a contradiction in friendship. It's the patch on his driver's uniform that make people question what's in his heart. What normally would be applauded is scorned upon simply because of that. Very shallow and sad.

nrc
10-06-04, 10:48 AM
Ok. I knew nothing aout this besides what I've read here. I had no opinion on Tony's sincerity other than the fact that I don't assume that a phoney is sincere about something just because it relates to the death of a friend.

Now I read this.

To cap the day, Franchitti joined all three of his AGR teammates in performing a series of doughnuts on the back straight in memory of his late friend Greg Moore, who was killed at that spot in the 1999 Champ Car Series event.http://www.crash.net/uk/en/news_view.asp?cid=12&nid=100718

To me this changes the whole complexion of the event. That doesn't sound like a tribute from a friend, it sounds like a planned celebration by a team who mopped up in their pathetic league.

A heartfelt tribute? Or and excuse to cover the crassness of celebrating their phoney championship at the scene of Greg's death?

jonovision_man
10-06-04, 11:13 AM
Ok. I knew nothing aout this besides what I've read here. I had no opinion on Tony's sincerity other than the fact that I don't assume that a phoney is sincere about something just because it relates to the death of a friend.

Now I read this.

http://www.crash.net/uk/en/news_view.asp?cid=12&nid=100718

To me this changes the whole complexion of the event. That doesn't sound like a tribute from a friend, it sounds like a planned celebration by a team who mopped up in their pathetic league.

A heartfelt tribute? Or and excuse to cover the crassness of celebrating their phoney championship at the scene of Greg's death?

So you actually think this was planned by Dario & Tony, FRIENDS of Greg Moore, as a way to boost the IRL??

Get help. Fast. :shakehead

Did you even read the article that Brickman posted? Here it is again, in case your memory of the late 90's is sketchy:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/motorsports/news/1999/07/20/cart_bratpack/

They were friends, one died, the remaining guys did a tribute when they won their championship... there's no great IRL conspiracy here.

jono

racer2c
10-06-04, 11:44 AM
So you actually think this was planned by Dario & Tony, FRIENDS of Greg Moore, as a way to boost the IRL??

Did you even read the article that Brickman posted? Here it is again, in case your memory of the late 90's is sketchy:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/motorsports/news/1999/07/20/cart_bratpack/

They were friends, one died, the remaining guys did a tribute when they won their championship... there's no great IRL conspiracy here.

jono

nrc can speak for himself, but I believe what he was saying is that the team, in an afterthought, remembered that their donut celebration was at the site of Greg's accident and in an attempt to not look like a bunch of putz's, said it was a dedication to Greg. I tend to agree with this as there are MANY BETTER WAYS to pay tribute to a fallen friend than by doing celebration donuts at the spot of his death. :thumdown:

RacinM3
10-06-04, 11:50 AM
So this is what the extremism caused by the Split has come to, huh? My passion for this part of the Sport dwindles more and more every day. This thread may be the nail in the coffin for me.

racer2c
10-06-04, 12:26 PM
So this is what the extremism caused by the Split has come to, huh? My passion for this part of the Sport dwindles more and more every day. This thread may be the nail in the coffin for me.

Personally, this has nothing to do with the CCWS, the IRL, the Split, Tony George or Kanaan badmouthing CART. For me it's a matter of voicing my opinion that saying that celebration donuts at the scene of a friends death was done in tribute. I find it suspect to say the least. If it was a sincere tribute, in which only the participants know the truth, I think it was done in bad taste.

Brickman
10-06-04, 12:50 PM
nrc can speak for himself, but I believe what he was saying is that the team, in an afterthought, remembered that their donut celebration was at the site of Greg's accident and in an attempt to not look like a bunch of putz's, said it was a dedication to Greg. I tend to agree with this as there are MANY BETTER WAYS to pay tribute to a fallen friend than by doing celebration donuts at the spot of his death. :thumdown:

Absurd.

The guy wins a championship and does donuts with his teammates and they are suppose to look like "putz's" for doing so?

So they contrive this story that MAKES an excuse for doing donuts?

Reasonable answers are probably closer to the truth.

I would say if Paul Tracy did the same there would be no questions, then again Paul did his donut in turn three a year earlier, five laps too soon. ;)

Amazing how this topic turned.

KobySon
10-06-04, 12:54 PM

jono

I agree with jono on this... It's not right to doubt his sincerity in regards to Greg's death.

Although I would like to add that it is also appropriate to pick on the drivers nose in this case.

nrc
10-06-04, 01:15 PM

I didn't say anything about them planning it as a way to help the IRL. Heck, maybe it wasn't planned at all, maybe it was a spontanious celebration. But I'm skeptical that the "tribute" part was anything but an after thought.

nrc
10-06-04, 01:27 PM
Again, it wasn't "friends of Greg Moore" doing donuts. It was the entire Andretti/Green team. Herta was no "brat backer" and I doubt that Wheldon even knew Moore.

racer2c
10-06-04, 02:28 PM
Absurd.

The guy wins a championship and does donuts with his teammates and they are suppose to look like "putz's" for doing so?

So they contrive this story that MAKES an excuse for doing donuts?

I would say if Paul Tracy did the same there would be no questions, then again Paul did his donut in turn three a year earlier, five laps too soon. ;)

Amazing how this topic turned.

So which is it, did they do donuts to celebrate Kanaans championship or to honor Greg? Your telling me it was for both and that it wasn't premeditated? Absurd indeed.
What I'm reading is that Team Andretti, in a show of unity and to honor the memory of their fallen comrade, celebrated by doing donuts. You're correct Brickman, that is absurd. I am more inclined to believe nrc's theory that in an attempt not to look like fools (putz's, what have you) Kanaan, once out of the car dedicated the donuts to Greg.

rabbit
10-06-04, 02:36 PM
If you are going to do a tribute to fallen friend, something more subtle or respectful than donuts where he died would be in order. Why not pull up to the apron and lay your driving gloves on the track before pulling into victory lane, something like that. But donuts? C'mon. It's borderline sacreligious.

"HAy Buck, lets' go down too The cemmatery an do sum donuts on James ROberts grave. I suree miss him,."

I don't doubt Kanaan misses Moore. We all do. But that was my reaction when I first heard about it. It just came across as phony.

jonovision_man
10-06-04, 02:36 PM
So which is it, did they do donuts to celebrate Kanaans championship or to honor Greg? Your telling me it was for both and that it wasn't premeditated? Absurd indeed.
What I'm reading is that Team Andretti, in a show of unity and to honor the memory of their fallen comrade, celebrated by doing donuts. You're correct Brickman, that is absurd. I am more inclined to believe nrc's theory that in an attempt not to look like fools (putz's, what have you) Kanaan, once out of the car dedicated the donuts to Greg.

Franchitti: "it was very emotional joining my teammates for doughnuts on the backstretch in remembrance of Greg."

So I guess he was in on this clever ruse? I guess it was like Driven, where they talked back and forth on the radio.

"Oh crap Dario, we just did donuts by where Greg was killed"
"Shoot Tony, let's tell everyone it was FOR Greg! Then we look good AND it helps the IRL!"
"Score!"

C'mon, it's a ridiculous theory.

jono

nrc
10-06-04, 02:56 PM
Franchitti: "it was very emotional joining my teammates for doughnuts on the backstretch in remembrance of Greg."

So I guess he was in on this clever ruse? I guess it was like Driven, where they talked back and forth on the radio.

You're talking rubbish. One of them could have heard the other mention it once they were back to the pits. But even if they didn't then we're just back to the whole thing being planned. That doesn't prove sincerity anymore than spontaneity does.

jonovision_man
10-06-04, 04:22 PM
You're talking rubbish. One of them could have heard the other mention it once they were back to the pits. But even if they didn't then we're just back to the whole thing being planned. That doesn't prove sincerity anymore than spontaneity does.

I'm starting to agree more and more with RacinM3, the fact that it's come own to trashing driver's tributes to their dead friends is really quite nauseating.

I've said my piece.

jono

Ziggy
10-06-04, 04:33 PM
Racin3M and JJano, glad I could help you make up your mind. Be sure to turn the lights out when you leave.

PS - Take Brickman with you

When did JamesRobert die?

JoeBob
10-06-04, 04:58 PM
I don't doubt that Greg was on his mind. I don't know that anyone who has ever been involved with Champ Cars steps foot onto the grounds at Fontana without thinking of him.

From what I can tell, the IRL asks all race winners to do donuts. At least once, TV caught pit to car radio instructing a driver to do donuts on the front stretch. Burning rubber is marketing - IRL style.

Doing your donuts on the backstretch instead of on the front stretch is (to be generous) an interesting way to pay tribute. It seems more like dancing on a grave than paying tribute to a falling comrade. (Maybe Dario and Tony were doing a tribute, while Wheldon was just trying to fit in with the "cool kids?")

Wearing a helmet painted like Greg's, wearing a T-shirt with a tribute, or stepping out of the car and making a dedication when you're interviewed on TV seem to be more fitting ways to make a tribute. I don't think Tony did any of those. (Tony has worn tribute helmets before - remember the one commemorating the final race together for him, da Matta, and Junqueira? Or the Zanardi tribute helmet?)

RacinM3
10-06-04, 05:21 PM
Actually Ziggy, I usually agree with you. On this one I don't, but thanks for the dismissal.

This seems to go counter to how you really feel. You DO appear to want a site that caves in to that mentality. You just want it to be your mentality.

At least have the respect to get the names of the people you're referring to correct.

You're talking rubbish.

This whole thread is rubbish.

racer2c
10-06-04, 05:42 PM
I don't doubt that Greg was on his mind. I don't know that anyone who has ever been involved with Champ Cars steps foot onto the grounds at Fontana without thinking of him.

From what I can tell, the IRL asks all race winners to do donuts. At least once, TV caught pit to car radio instructing a driver to do donuts on the front stretch. Burning rubber is marketing - IRL style.

Doing your donuts on the backstretch instead of on the front stretch is (to be generous) an interesting way to pay tribute. It seems more like dancing on a grave than paying tribute to a falling comrade. (Maybe Dario and Tony were doing a tribute, while Wheldon was just trying to fit in with the "cool kids?")

Wearing a helmet painted like Greg's, wearing a T-shirt with a tribute, or stepping out of the car and making a dedication when you're interviewed on TV seem to be more fitting ways to make a tribute. I don't think Tony did any of those. (Tony has worn tribute helmets before - remember the one commemorating the final race together for him, da Matta, and Junqueira? Or the Zanardi tribute helmet?)

That's what I meant, but you wrote it better. :thumbup:

Ankf00
10-06-04, 05:52 PM

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't"
-Samuel Clemens

Brickman
10-06-04, 06:22 PM
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't"
-Samuel Clemens

"There is no character, howsoever good and fine, but it can be destroyed by ridicule, howsoever poor and witless." -Samuel Clemens

And I too am done putting forth my 2-cents.

theunions
10-06-04, 10:18 PM
Tony has worn tribute helmets before - remember the one commemorating the final race together for him, da Matta, and Junqueira?

I WISH it was for Junqueira, and that I was there in Mexico City witnessing his final ChampCar appearance. Instead it was for Christian.

JoeBob
10-06-04, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the correction. I couldn't remember who the 3rd Brazilian was, and couldn't find it online, so I took my best guess.

pineapple
10-06-04, 10:39 PM
Let's give TK the benefit of the doubt(s) and say he did the donuts (a celebratory statement, mind you) in honor of Greg and was not celebrating his personal league championship & his team's dominance of the league. Got that?

Then: Would TK and his teammates spun the rubber if he had NOT won the championship? Were donuts spun in Greg's honor at last year's race by TK (when he wasn't in the running for a trophy) & other former teammates of Greg?

A more fitting tribute would have been a call for a moment of silence BEFORE the race, a floral tribute at the site, and/or some appropriate words after the race.

Sounds like Greg's memory was obscured by the tiresmoke.

bdogg187
10-07-04, 12:24 AM
Doing your donuts on the backstretch instead of on the front stretch is (to be generous) an interesting way to pay tribute. It seems more like dancing on a grave than paying tribute to a falling comrade.

One thing I was thinking was that the area they paved over on the backstretch might be the only place that could handle a 4-car burnout. I imagine its tougher to do doughnuts on a banked surface than it is on a flat one. Having 5 cars (including Fernandez) out of control on the frontstretch in a cloud of smoke could be a recipe for disaster. I figure that the only place where it would be safe to do a 4 car burnout would be the backstretch.

Anyway, Dario and Tony may be traitors, but they were Gregs friends, and I think everyone in the Open Wheel community knows and respects Greg and realizes how tragic his death was. They may be EARL drivers, but they are still human. I think their tribute was just fine.

theunions
10-07-04, 02:12 AM
Was Herta (who finished some dozen laps down) involved in the donuts? I only saw the other three AGR cars on TV.

RaceChic
10-07-04, 06:40 AM
I think Tony Kanaan sold his soul to go EARLing. For that, I bid him farewell.

He was Greg's friend and a part of the "Brat Pack". Just because he went EARLing, does not mean he does not miss his friend or think of his friend. I believe he is sincere when he talks about Greg. Greg was tragically lost to our racing community before Tony Kanaan jumped ship. I don't think one has to do with the other.

It is a shame that he mentions Greg as a memory and in a form of respect (even if it is in the context of the EARL) and we are suddenly questioning his integrity in regards to his feelings about Greg being genuine or not simply because he races in the IRL now.

I miss you, Greg Moore. :(

cart7
10-07-04, 08:45 AM
My .02. 3 of the 4 drivers were well aware of where Greg's crash happened, they were there in 99 so the part about the donut celebration and them not being aware about it's location till they were in the middle of it is nonsense.

That said, I'm not sure donuts at the site of his death is a fitting tribute, then again, I'm not a racer who puts his life on the line each week nor new Greg personally. Maybe those who knew him would say that that's just the kind of tribute Greg would've wanted.

Jervis Tetch 1
10-07-04, 11:09 AM
The irony is I don't seem to recall Greg Moore ever doing donuts after each of his five wins.

When I think of donuts, I think of Alex Zanardi, the man who invented them, perfected them and made them popular.

Aside from the tribute by TK, it sickens me that NASCRAP and the I*L are doing them and making it look like THEIR drivers invented them.

And an apology as I don't want this to hijack the thread.

rabbit
10-07-04, 01:24 PM
When did JamesRobert die?
To the best of my knowledge, he hasn't. I apologize if my hypothetical scenario has given you undo cause for concern about a friend. ;)

spirit_of_99
10-07-04, 03:09 PM
We all remember and honor Greg (or anyone else who has passed) in our own way. While doing donuts over the place he died would not be my choice, I guess if the spirit/intent of the tribute was true, we shouldn't quibble.

Problem is, the only folks who know the spirit/intent for sure are the folks doing the donuts, the Big Man Upstairs, and (I'd like to think) Greg himself. When I think of it that way, it makes it easier to not care what the heck Kanaan, Franchitti and the rest say or do.

As always, see you at the front, 99.

JohnHKart
10-07-04, 06:11 PM

I've been thinking the same things you posted about this, and was surprised there wasn't a hailstorm of criticism on here. I don't don't really like going to that place because of Greg. A couple of years ago after the Doors show I was working at, it was dark and I looked out at that spot as I was leaving....(exited out the back stretch wall) spooky. Even on a good day like that I can't forget it.

John

Beevis
10-07-04, 06:37 PM
Don't lose sight of the fact that St. Greg would have been an IRL driver too.

nrc
10-07-04, 07:09 PM

That's a matter of speculation. He had a contract through 2002 but it's impossible to say for certain what would have happened.

FRANKY
10-07-04, 08:27 PM
Don't lose sight of the fact that St. Greg would have been an IRL driver too.That's a matter of speculation. He had a contract through 2002 but it's impossible to say for certain what would have happened.

I didn't say anything about them planning it as a way to help the IRL. Heck, maybe it wasn't planned at all, maybe it was a spontanious celebration. But I'm skeptical that the "tribute" part was anything but an after thought.

The word of the day is speculation.

I think the best way to view if this was an acceptable act is to ask yourself.

If Patrick Carpantier did the same thing next year would it be an issue?

If Ron Fellows did the same thing next year in a Cup or Busch car would it be an issue?

If Paul Tracy did the same thing last year would there have been an issue?

Is it the series, the driver, or the nationality that makes the act one that loses sincerity? We all know the answer, just some feign that for some reason there is a difference.

On to better and more worthy discussions.

nrc
10-07-04, 09:31 PM
I've never claimed that anything I've posted in this thread was anything but speculation and opinion.

racer2c
10-07-04, 09:33 PM

The owner and Franky were too generous in their responses to you. I'm just going to tell you to get bent. You deserve it.

spirit_of_99
10-08-04, 12:46 PM

Classy in so many ways. :rolleyes: :(

mueber
10-08-04, 02:49 PM
As with Helio Castro Neves, I don’t believe anything Tony Kanaan says. That doesn’t mean he isn’t sincere. It’s a price he has to pay, not that he cares.