PDA

View Full Version : Yikes, what is the final report going to say?!?!

rabbit
10-04-04, 01:37 PM
Darren Manning has a "severe back contusion and a slight concussion" after a crash at Fontana. He is to be re-evaluated when he returns to Indy.
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/13225/

Wheel-Nut
10-04-04, 02:06 PM
It should read something like, "Darren, get out while you can still walk".

Steve99
10-04-04, 02:12 PM
My money is on "broken back and head trauma".

Sean O'Gorman
10-04-04, 02:16 PM
10/2/04: "In any case, it had already been determined that Manning will not participate in Sunday’s Toyota Indy 400 as a precautionary measure."

10/3/04: "Darren Manning sustained a severe back contusion and a slight concussion when his car crashed during qualifying Saturday at California Speedway, Indy Racing League officials said Sunday morning."

Any guesses as to what it'll be by 10/5/04?

4wheeldrifter
10-05-04, 08:04 AM
Since I didn't see it, I have to ask: How did he wreck in quallies? Only way I can see is if his engine let go or a tire blew. No way even Juan's grandma could lose it around Fontana with 15000 lbs of downforce grinding the 'wagon into the pavement.

Jus' don' mek no sense. :gomer:

rabbit
10-12-04, 04:42 PM
I feel like a frickin' prophet...
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/indycar/auto/13393/

Target Chip Ganassi Racing’s Darren Manning will not compete in this weekend’s Chevy 500K IRL IndyCar Series finale at Texas Motor Speedway.

[snipped for brevity]

Manning underwent a follow-up medical examination of his back with Dr. Terry Trammell on Monday, Oct. 11, for an injury sustained at the California Speedway on Saturday, Oct. 2. The injury, a minor compression fracture of the sixth and seventh thoracic vertebrae, was sustained during his qualifying attempt for the Toyota Indy 400 Fontana race. The incident occurred between Turn One and Two, and Manning was sidelined for the race with a slight concussion and a severe contusion in the middle of his back.

Al Czervik
10-12-04, 04:48 PM
I feel like a frickin' prophet...
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/indycar/auto/13393/

Come on, Stevie Wonder could have seen that report coming out.

Don Quixote
10-12-04, 04:49 PM
Also, this quote from the earl website: "Manning suffered a slight concussion and a minor compression fracture of the thoracic vertebrae".

Note the use of adjectives "slight" and "minor". :gomer:

FCYTravis
10-12-04, 09:08 PM
Yes, because the fact that it's "minor" makes it all OK :rolleyes:

Ziggy
10-12-04, 09:38 PM
You guys are surprised? This is how it works these days. IRL has been like this since the Crapwagon showed up in 1997

nothing new

See, the problem is the Anglo spine structure is not as strong as the Latin spine

whatever happened to that hack that drove for Foit that ate the wall in Texas a few years ago? Cant even remember his name. I bet he's blinking on his own by now....

NoDoors NoDales
10-12-04, 10:07 PM
Since I didn't see it, I have to ask: How did he wreck in quallies? Only way I can see is if his engine let go or a tire blew. No way even Juan's grandma could lose it around Fontana with 15000 lbs of downforce grinding the 'wagon into the pavement.

Jus' don' mek no sense. :gomer:

Haha...love it. The IRL just seems to turn there heads (if there necks aren't broken) the other way on the design of the cars. The stats show there unsafe, they have LOADS of downforce, and wings so large they fly...no joke.

devilmaster
10-13-04, 01:43 PM
Seen at the wicket:

Steve99: here's my winning ticket! how much do i get?

Cashier: There ya go. [hands over the money]

Steve99: Thats it? I should get more than that....

Cashier: Nope, you made a guaranteed wussy bet. The odds makers knew that Manning would have a broken back and head trauma, so it was set at 1 to 1 odds. If you wan't to make more money, next time bet that the race will be yellow free, or someone won't get injured. Thats where the real money is.

[Steve99 sulks off]
;)
Steve

pchall
10-13-04, 04:29 PM
whatever happened to that hack that drove for Foit that ate the wall in Texas a few years ago? Cant even remember his name. I bet he's blinking on his own by now....

Hey, don't diss Marco Greco. He never went fast enough to back into the wall. Must be some other check writer.

Wheel-Nut
10-13-04, 05:06 PM
Hey, don't diss Marco Greco. He never went fast enough to back into the wall. Must be some other check writer.

I think he's thinking of Saladbar.

JoeBob
10-13-04, 05:22 PM
Airton Dare perhaps?

Cart Champion
10-13-04, 05:45 PM
Also, this quote from the earl website: "Manning suffered a slight concussion and a minor compression fracture of the thoracic vertebrae".

Note the use of adjectives "slight" and "minor". :gomer:

The earl like to sugar coat things, make it like its nothing at all a "severe" injury to the back is no laughing matter and to make it a "minor" problem just doesn't cut it.

I just hope the earl PR people never have to face a situation where they have a severe back injury.............guaranteed they won't like it.

Just another reason to hate everything earl. :flame:

racermike
10-13-04, 06:02 PM
Again .. funny how time goes on, the injury gets worse

IRL spin is in full force

Ziggy
10-13-04, 07:31 PM
AirTron Darey, that it. Dude had the makings of a real gun slinger.

What is this clown doing, new hobby perhaps?

rehab? creeper racing? Stare downs?

it's mind bending, really :thumdown:

JLMannin
10-13-04, 08:17 PM
In the IRL, if an accident does not result in death or paralysis, then the injuries are minor.

Ferdman
10-13-04, 08:18 PM
The IRL didn't let us down this year. We can still call it the Broken Back/neck Racing League. :D Too bad it has to be at someone's expense, but I blame it on FTG.

fourrunner
10-13-04, 10:33 PM
Are his Back Problems related to a racing incident or from wearing some of those 200 pairs of "Unusual Shoes" he collects? ;)

dando
10-13-04, 10:36 PM
The IRL didn't let us down this year. We can still call it the Broken Back/neck Racing League. :D Too bad it has to be at someone's expense, but I blame it on FTG.
TMS #2 has yet to happen yet. Heck, they could still have 3-4 more of these after this weekend. The big question is whether the next big one will be seen from space. ;)

-Kevin

Joe in LA
10-14-04, 12:07 PM
Are his Back Problems related to a racing incident or from wearing some of those 200 pairs of "Unusual Shoes" he collects? ;)

That's Wheldon, not Manning.

4wheeldrifter
10-14-04, 12:47 PM
That's Wheldon, not Manning.

Yeah, Fourrunner. Get your gender-neutral wankers right next time. ;) :laugh:

nrc
10-14-04, 02:54 PM
Yeah, Fourrunner. Get your gender-neutral wankers right next time. ;) :laugh:

Hey, who can keep all these grass roots American oval track heros straight ..er correct.

Easy
10-14-04, 05:31 PM
AirTron Darey, that it. Dude had the makings of a real gun slinger.

What is this clown doing, new hobby perhaps?

He is in Brazil doing touring cars I believe.

cart7
10-15-04, 07:58 AM
I think he's thinking of Saladbar.
No. Didn't his heart split in half on impact or something like that? ;)

Wheel-Nut
10-15-04, 10:28 AM
No. Didn't his heart split in half on impact or something like that? ;)

That's right, he didn't break any bones, just had MINOR internal injuries.