PDA

View Full Version : Gil States ... Tony Kanaan the "BEST DRIVER IN THE WORLD"

fourrunner
10-03-04, 07:11 PM
Those guys in the Booth gotta be Smokin Dope

I never looked at Gil as STUPID, but that comment was over the top!

The IRL Championship Winner is AT MOST the Best Driver in Fontana California on October 3 ... not really much else !

Poor Gil ... he's reading a script I know, BUT has he no shame?? :eek:

Methanolandbrats
10-03-04, 07:25 PM
People entirely devoid of morals or a sense of self will utter anything when paid enough money. The IRL consists entirely of such people. Did they "race" today? I would'nt know. Was this the week they staged the Texas Chainlink Massacre?

Cam
10-03-04, 07:31 PM
Was this the week they staged the Texas Chainlink Massacre?

I think it was Fontucky.... Didn't watch myself.... Colts played.... Saw about the last 20 laps of the NeckCar race.... All I can say is that there was no real racing on this weekend! :shakehead

Oh wait!!!!! WRC is on tonight! :thumbup:

fourrunner
10-03-04, 07:36 PM
I was DUPED because it was on ESPNHD so I thought I'd be able to count the crowd for real since it was in High Def

BUT lo & Behold it was not in high def nor am I figuring they will ever be in high def if they show the stands

Trust me ... I cleaned the house during most of the race!

Methanolandbrats
10-03-04, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the WRC reminder CAM. I watched the bikes, but forgot about rally. What a sheety week with Bernard f'n up the British GP in favor of the hospitality suites of China and Bahrain.

Cam
10-03-04, 07:48 PM
What a sheety week with Bernard f'n up the British GP in favor of the hospitality suites of China and Bahrain.

From what I see the BRDC is also crapping in thier own nest..... They seem to think they have a god given right to hold a GP.... Mind you, I put losing Silverstone as pretty much equivalent to as if they were to yank Monaco. There is way too much tradition to just p*** down the drain....

I dunno.... I guess we have endured the dumbing down of Indy. Bring on the dumbing down of F1.... I will turn my back on it too. :rolleyes:

fourrunner
10-03-04, 08:08 PM
From what I see the BRDC is also crapping in thier own nest..... They seem to think they have a god given right to hold a GP.... Mind you, I put losing Silverstone as pretty much equivalent to as if they were to yank Monaco. There is way too much tradition to just p*** down the drain....

I dunno.... I guess we have endured the dumbing down of Indy. Bring on the dumbing down of F1.... I will turn my back on it too. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing Gil was thinking that when he made his statement ...at least the F1 part!! ;)

Ziggy
10-03-04, 08:44 PM
Oh, I think the dumbing down has been going on in F1 for about a decade. Since Senna got killed anyway....

Railbird
10-03-04, 09:01 PM
The kids had us over for a cook out today, tipped a couple 40s and watched the Colts and 'dega on two TVs.

Colts win!

'degas last lap rocked!

A multi and an airborn all in one lap, not to mention a junior win.

woohoo, I've got a chicken bucket on my haid.

Cam
10-03-04, 09:07 PM

Why does that not surprise me? :rofl:

DaveL
10-03-04, 09:22 PM
The IRL Championship Winner is AT MOST the Best Driver in Fontana California on October 3 ... not really much else !

But still not the best driver at Fontana that weekend.

The guys in the Truck series had to get off the throttle, go through the turns at the very limit of their vehicle's adhesion, and then get back on the throttle smooth enough not to lose the rear end or push into the wall.

Far cry from flooring it at steering a little.

Gil might as well have said Britney Spears is the best singer in the world.

fourrunner
10-03-04, 09:49 PM
But still not the best driver at Fontana that weekend.

Details, details !! ;)

and yes the Truck Series is harder ... Tony might be a backmarker over there !

losedagrooves
10-03-04, 10:47 PM

"An day might take ma points 'way fer s'n sheet on da teevee"

Jervis Tetch 1
10-03-04, 10:57 PM
As someone who knows Gil, I can only think that nationalism was rampant on that statement! :eek:

Still, it was over the top and I really wonder if Gil really believes what he said.

Remember, Tony K was one of the most overrated drivers in Champ Car. He got his ONLY win due to the fact that Max ran out of fuel on the last lap at Michigan in 1999. Had Rahole's team done their telemetry right, Kanaan would just have been another driver who didn't win during his time there.

I didn't watch the race. I watched the Colts. :p

Racewriter
10-03-04, 10:57 PM
Details, details !! ;)

and yes the Truck Series is harder ... Tony might be a backmarker over there !

Well, this year's Indyana-apolis Five Hunnert winner was 2 seconds a lap off the pace in his Truck attempt last year...

bdogg187
10-03-04, 11:28 PM
Well, this year's Indyana-apolis Five Hunnert winner was 2 seconds a lap off the pace in his Truck attempt last year...

And he would still be runnin around in trucks several seconds off the pace if Brack hadnt launched his car into the fence at Texas. I think IRL calls that, "creating oppurtunities for American drivers." :gomer: :rolleyes:

Lizzerd
10-04-04, 01:23 AM
Remember, Tony K was one of the most overrated drivers in Champ Car. He got his ONLY win due to the fact that Max ran out of fuel on the last lap at Michigan in 1999. Had Rahole's team done their telemetry right, Kanaan would just have been another driver who didn't win during his time there.

I didn't watch the race. I watched the Colts. :p

Agreed. I was at that race sitting high in the stands just before the S/F line. Max slowed in T3, Kanaan, in P2, backed off and JPM almost got him at the line. Other than that he did little in CART/CCWS. Tony K is a good driver, not a GREAT driver. irl championships mean nothing in rating a driver as world class in my eyes.

Oh, and I watched the Colts too. Great game! :thumbup: :thumbup: :D

Clown
10-04-04, 01:24 AM
That honestly made me laugh out loud when I read that title :rofl:

Maybe he meant World4Kids :confused:

Dave99
10-04-04, 01:43 AM
Well if Gil said it it must be true!

Kanaan won the Indy Lights title in 97 and capped it with a Crapwagon title in 04. His career has run full circle. So to speak! :laugh:

JohnHKart
10-04-04, 04:05 AM
Tony K probably would have won Long Beach in 99 but crashed out of the lead.

John

chop456
10-04-04, 05:48 AM
Tony K probably would have won Long Beach in 99 but crashed out of the lead.

John

And DaMatta would have won Mid-Ohio in '02, but crashed out of the lead.

I would have won 11 straight WDC's but for my lack of funding and talent.

BFD.

He's collecting Honda money and a little piece of his soul goes missing with every trip to the bank. Good riddance.

JT265
10-04-04, 07:33 AM
And DaMatta would have won Mid-Ohio in '02, but crashed out of the lead.

I would have won 11 straight WDC's but for my lack of funding and talent.

BFD.

He's collecting Honda money and a little piece of his soul goes missing with every trip to the bank. Good riddance.

Doubt I'd have been that eloquent. But good stuff anyway Chopper.

cart7
10-04-04, 08:04 AM
After an hour of listening to the rev-limited droning echoing back and forth between the empty aluminum and the paddock garages I'm sure Gil was getting a little loopy.
Earlier, Page had embibed a story about how Kanaan, when he was a kid, got to run karts against Senna and some other F1 boys at Senna's place in Brazil. TK actually won the race against Senna and some of the best in F1!!! :eek: WoW Paul!! Really!!! They didn't let the little kid win??

I guess he really is just that good. :rolleyes:

racer2c
10-04-04, 11:08 AM
After an hour of listening to the rev-limited droning echoing back and forth between the empty aluminum and the paddock garages I'm sure Gil was getting a little loopy.
Earlier, Page had embibed a story about how Kanaan, when he was a kid, got to run karts against Senna and some other F1 boys at Senna's place in Brazil. TK actually won the race against Senna and some of the best in F1!!! :eek: WoW Paul!! Really!!! They didn't let the little kid win??

I guess he really is just that good. :rolleyes:

Porky Page is still a putz. It reminds me of when 'they' used to bring up the fact that Lake Speed beat Senna in a karting championship. Well, be that as it may, he didn't go on to be a world champion three times over.

pfc_m_drake
10-04-04, 11:30 AM
In fairness to Max and Rahal, if I recall correctly they had lost their telemetry very early on and were 'flying blind' for most of the race. In hindsight they probably could have played it a bit safer after their last pitstop...but that's why hindsight is 20/20...

pchall
10-04-04, 11:33 AM
Porky Page is still a putz.

Did he use his famous "It's a sold out crowd here at [insert venue here]" line?

Steve99
10-04-04, 11:54 AM
The IRL TV booth must have direct KoolAid injection.

I had to turn off the TV before the race even started, when TonyK and Danni Wheldon started kissing on each other. :shakehead

G.
10-04-04, 01:00 PM
Please stop calling EARL pilots race car drivers. They are race car steerers. Or pilots.

Methanolandbrats
10-04-04, 01:05 PM
Please stop calling EARL pilots race car drivers. They are race car steerers. Or pilots. Actually, I think their line of work is more like this http://store1.yimg.com/I/dragonballzcentral_1813_10948763

NoDoors NoDales
10-16-04, 07:48 PM
Those guys in the Booth gotta be Smokin Dope

I never looked at Gil as STUPID, but that comment was over the top!

Poor Gil ... he's reading a script I know, BUT has he no shame?? :eek:

Yeah and Juan's grandma is right behind him

Hot Rod Otis
10-17-04, 09:28 AM
In fairness to Max and Rahal, if I recall correctly they had lost their telemetry very early on and were 'flying blind' for most of the race. In hindsight they probably could have played it a bit safer after their last pitstop...but that's why hindsight is 20/20...

Thats the official Team Rahal explanantion as to why Max ran out of fuel on the last lap. I've always had my doubts though.

That year I stayed @ a Hampton Inn in Ann Arbor. There were a lot of CART & Indy Lights people there as well. I ate breakfast at the table next to Guy Smith, talked to Bill Adam when I was checking in, etc etc. After the race, I got on an elevator with a Ford Cosworth engineer/DAG and he looked rather pissed. I said "tough break today". He replied "F*#K, you don't know the F%$#ng half of it. They F%$#ed up , the didn't put enough fuel in on the last stop." He didn't mention anything about the telemetry being out. Based on that, I've always been a little suspicous of the Team Rahal claim that the telemetry was on the fritz.