PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR "Safety": Part Deux

rabbit
02-18-03, 03:44 PM
Found this little tid-bit interesting:
http://www.journalnow.com/wsj/sports/MGBBAGQCBCD.html

• Ryan Newman's dramatic flip down the frontstretch was eye-catching, particularly for NASCAR officials, who were not pleased to see all those parts and pieces flying off the car. So NASCAR inspectors impounded Newman's car for further inspection, to try to figure out why the car appeared to simply shatter when it hit the ground. :saywhat:

Don Quixote
02-18-03, 03:50 PM
Let me add my comment too.
:saywhat:

Napoleon
02-18-03, 04:14 PM
This would be a good thread to ask this question for those who may know the answer. I noticed when the wreck happened, which was also very evident in the picture ran in the local paper, that when the rear axle seperated you could see there was a hose that went into the axle housing and one that went into the diff. case. I assume both to be oil hoses. What is the function of each?

mnkywrch
02-18-03, 04:18 PM
Ryan Newman's dramatic flip down the frontstretch was eye-catching, particularly for NASCAR officials, who were not pleased to see all those parts and pieces flying off the car. So NASCAR inspectors impounded Newman's car for further inspection, to try to figure out why the car appeared to simply shatter when it hit the ground.

Here's a clue, guys - as long as it's not the driver's compartment, it's a good thing the car came apart, as it reduced the energy of the crash.

Well, outside of the tires coming loose. Look into wheel tethers for that issue.

Matter of fact, just look at any CART or IRL chassis. If there's one thing I'd like to see NASCAR steal from open wheel, it's safety stuff.

Peter Olivola
02-18-03, 04:23 PM
Probably diff cooler lines.

Originally posted by Napoleon
This would be a good thread to ask this question for those who may know the answer. I noticed when the wreck happened, which was also very evident in the picture ran in the local paper, that when the rear axle seperated you could see there was a hose that went into the axle housing and one that went into the diff. case. I assume both to be oil hoses. What is the function of each?

DaveL
02-18-03, 04:31 PM
Silly me. I thought that the car taking the punishment and dissapating the energy as the pieces come off would be considered a goodthing.

Formula cars have been operating under this theory since the early 70s. See Tom Sneva's 1975 Indy wreck for reference.

rabbit
02-18-03, 04:47 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when they showed the replay, didn't DW or Larry Mac say it was a good thing the parts were flying off the car. One of them said, "Every one of those parts coming off is disippating energy." At least somebody is paying attention. Too bad it's not the ones who make the decisions.

Racewriter
02-18-03, 05:11 PM

Without seeing it, I'd say that they were lines to the differential cooler pump.

pchall
02-18-03, 05:11 PM

From what is said about NASCAR technology to the tv public, they are allowed to run oil coolers on the rear end and run electric fans to suck or blow air through them as needed.

pchall
02-18-03, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by DaveL
Silly me. I thought that the car taking the punishment and dissapating the energy as the pieces come off would be considered a goodthing.

No, no, no, no. The whole point is for the car to survive and be able to get back on the track and lap for vital championship points and tv air time. It can't sacrifice itself for the survival of the mere driver. THAT is what concerns NASCAR.

Ed_Severson
02-18-03, 05:23 PM
"Well, outside of the tires coming loose. Look into wheel tethers for that issue."

Wheels coming loose? Judging from the pictures I saw, the whole damn rear axle broke off the car, in one piece.

"One of them said, "Every one of those parts coming off is disippating energy.""

It would've been more believable if you had said "Ever one of them parts comed off were dississipatin' energy." :)