PDA

View Full Version : Pop-up Window problem....

Turn7
09-30-04, 05:47 PM
I had a pop up window come up and now every time I open a new browser window the new browser is the size of the pop up. How the hell do I get the default size of a newly spawned browser window back to full screen by default.

This is at work using IE6 and no, I can't install a different browser because the IT ****s would surely come and throw me in the goolag.

rabbit
09-30-04, 05:56 PM
This is at work using IE6 and no, I can't install a different browser because the IT ****s would surely come and throw me in the goolag.
Would they throw you in the goolag if you installed the Google toolbar?

Turn7
09-30-04, 06:36 PM
Nope, that wouldn't cause them to round me up and sling me in the hooscow.

Just to make it clear though....I am not looking for a pop up blocker, I am trying to find out how to make the second or third browser window that I open full screen as you would think it should normally open not some 2" x 3" box that I have to maximize.

Can the google toolbar do that?

Tifosi24
09-30-04, 06:53 PM
This sounds like what was happening to me when I was on a computer in the library in school. I didn't install the google toolbar, (which is awesome i might add), but what I found was that an annoying program by GAIM had been installed on the computer. So what I did was go to the Add/Remove Programs in My Computer and look for the offending programs, which happened to be from Buddy something or another. Uninstalling them was a pain in the butt too, but it allowed me to actually get something done on the computer. I hope this can help you in some way.

nrc
09-30-04, 07:09 PM
GAIM is an open source instant messenger client that works with just about any IM protocol. Someone must have been using it to chat in the library. I've never seen it do any harm. I suppose it could be annoying if someone set it to automatically start and login at boot.

pfc_m_drake
09-30-04, 09:25 PM
Nope, that wouldn't cause them to round me up and sling me in the hooscow.

Just to make it clear though....I am not looking for a pop up blocker, I am trying to find out how to make the second or third browser window that I open full screen as you would think it should normally open not some 2" x 3" box that I have to maximize.

Can the google toolbar do that?
1) Download either Lavasoft Ad-Aware Personal or Spybot Search&Destroy (preferably both) and run a full system scan. Remove anything they might find.

2) Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

3) Start a new instance of IE and maximize the window. Then while holding down the 'control' key, select 'file, close'.

If that doesn't work, you can try one other thing:
a) Start up Internet Explorer
b) From the menu bar select tools, internet options.
c) Click the 'advanced' tab.
d) select the 'Restore Defaults' button at the bottom right of that window
e) Click 'apply', and 'ok'

Cam
09-30-04, 09:46 PM
GAIM is an open source instant messenger client that works with just about any IM protocol. Someone must have been using it to chat in the library. I've never seen it do any harm. I suppose it could be annoying if someone set it to automatically start and login at boot.

I think he means GAIN..... Spyware/Adware that is installed without your knowledge when you install programs like KAZAA..... Scum sucking bastiges..... :flame:

MAXAR RE
10-01-04, 09:45 AM
I encounter this issue from time to time. Internet Explorer, and most Windows programs, will remember the last 'windows size' they were when you closed them. Maximized windows don't count, as that is a separate setting, which is why the pop-ups frequently resize all newly spawned IE windows.

This is what I do: Open IE, then drag the corners of the window out to the edges of your screen, then close it. When you re-launch IE, it should fill the screen to almost the same volume as it would if maximized.

Turn7
10-01-04, 10:52 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I turned of my computer last night when I left and viola, it is back to normal this morning. Imagine that, a windows machine that needed to be rebooted. Never in a million years would I of thought that such a stable platform would benefit from a periodic reboot. :laugh:

Ferdman
10-01-04, 12:52 PM
1) Download either Lavasoft Ad-Aware Personal or Spybot Search&Destroy (preferably both) and run a full system scan. Remove anything they might find.

Downloand and run them both. Make sure you update the reference files for both before you ren them. One will find s**** that the other one won't. If you're on XP, make sure you turn off System Restore. Right click My Computer and go to properties. Click on the System Restore tab and check the Turn off system restore box. Reboot into Safe Mode and then run the utilities mentioned above.

Also, go into the add and remove programs in the control panel and remove any small programs that don't sound familiar like websearch or web helper or other crap that sounds lik that.