PDA

View Full Version : Montreal Expos 1969-2004

devilmaster
09-29-04, 07:18 PM
http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/20040928/expos_68750.jpg

It will be a sad day in La Belle Provence.

No matter what a few writers may say, Montreal was and still is a baseball town.

It was a town that welcomed Jackie Robinson before any team in the Majors would accept a black man. It was a team that in 81 went to the playoffs before losing to the Dodgers. It was the best team in baseball in 94 (some say one of the best teams ever) before a player strike stopped the season. It was a team that used to bring in over a million and a half fans a season. It was also a team that developed great players in the mid to late 90s but could never keep them.

I will watch the last game (on now) with a little sadness.

Au revoir Expos, et Merci.
Steve

nrc
09-29-04, 07:39 PM
At least they've still got hockey. D'oh!

pineapple
09-29-04, 08:00 PM
Bummer for Montreal. Now we get to see if Washington can hold onto a major league baseball team, especially with the Orioles in such close proximity.

Kudos to Montreal (and Canada) for accepting Jackie Robinson.

devilmaster
09-29-04, 08:06 PM
And the game might not finish....

Some arseholes are throwing golf balls onto the field.....

the game has been stopped for the moment and all players removed from the field.

A few bad apples........ :mad:

Steve

devilmaster
09-29-04, 08:14 PM
game restarted after a 15 minute delay......

anait
09-29-04, 08:52 PM
:( Heard it on the radio. Rats.

When I was a kid, I followed them religiously for a few years.

:p Had a huge crush on Gary Carter (I think I may have shared that here already... :o :D ).

RTKar
09-29-04, 09:12 PM
Montreal's loss will be Washington's gain....hard to believe the national past time hasn't been in the nations capital for years. IMHO baseball needs to contract somewhat but I always thought it was pretty cool to have a team in Montreal....sad to see it end. BTW ...The original Expos cap was the coolest.

dando
09-29-04, 09:16 PM
It was a town that welcomed Jackie Robinson before any team in the Majors would accept a black man. It was a team that in 81 went to the playoffs before losing to the Dodgers.
As a Dodgers fan, I'm thankful for both.... ;)

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/education/units/images/robinson_j_montreal.jpg

-Kevin

Jervis Tetch 1
09-29-04, 09:20 PM
As a longtime baseball fan I'm truly saddened.

I'm just very happy I decided to drive the one hour to Montreal back in '97 when I was in Quebec for the Trois-Rivieres race. I watched the Expos and Padres battle it out in front of about 5,000 people. I paid about $10 American for a seat in the upper deck and ended up watchin the entire game above the Expos dugout at field level. I will also miss that leather type top that encloses the Olympic Stadium.

Montreal had some great players like Gary Carter, Rusty Staub (le Grand Orange), Vladimir Guerrero, Andres "Big Cat" Galaragga, Steve Rogers, The Big Unit himself (Randy Johnson), Ron Fairly, Andre Dawson and Tim Raines...

...and not so great ones (but entertaining all the same). Remember Coco LaBoy? John Boccabella? Steve Renko? Warren Cromartie? Donn Clendenon? Tim Foli? Jim Fairey? Barry Foote?

I just wonder if my boyhood idol Frank Robinson will manage in Washington.

Ankf00
09-29-04, 09:23 PM
larry walker and delino de shields and moises alou, that 94 team was stacked

F bud selig, the $ being paid to angelos for the DC team could pay for a new stadium.

DC's already failed twice with the big leagues, why a third chance? the orioles are already there, sheesh.

devilmaster
09-29-04, 09:30 PM
Final Attendance: 31,395

Steve