PDA

View Full Version : How do I get a new computer?

rabbit
09-29-04, 02:29 PM
I've *&*$in' had it! This POS computer at work is driving me insane. It is slower than mollasses in January. It has a 2 $*%@in' GB HD for crying out loud! WTH am I supposed to do with that? I hate it I hate it I hate it. I am this close (http://www.reedconsulting.com/ctdc/200009it/this-close.jpg) to throwing this thing onto the railroad tracks behind the building. And right now there are about four people ahead of me for a new machine. So what can I do to move up that list? (As of now, I haven't completely ruled out accidentally downloading a virus that would disinigrate my machine yet leave the network intact, should such an animal exist.) Or does anyone else have any better ideas?

Insomniac
09-29-04, 02:33 PM
I've *&*$in' had it! This POS computer at work is driving me insane. It is slower than mollasses in January. It has a 2 $*%@in' GB HD for crying out loud! WTH am I supposed to do with that? I hate it I hate it I hate it. I am this close (http://www.reedconsulting.com/ctdc/200009it/this-close.jpg) to throwing this thing onto the railroad tracks behind the building. And right now there are about four people ahead of me for a new machine. So what can I do to move up that list? (As of now, I haven't completely ruled out accidentally downloading a virus that would disinigrate my machine yet leave the network intact, should such an animal exist.) Or does anyone else have any better ideas?

How badly do the people in front of you need a computer? What kind of IT dept do you have? Does your company have an agreement with a third party manufacturer? Too many questions. :)

KLang
09-29-04, 02:35 PM
Introduce Mr. Magnet to your hard drive?

http://www.deathboy.com/acme/magnet.jpg

cart7
09-29-04, 03:07 PM
The service center where I work is running 6 year old Pentium 2 workstations and we run them hard. We've got no backups anymore should one fail nor do we have any units to give to new employee's. I was tasked today to try and put a unit together out of the 25 corpses laying in the boneyard for a new employee.

A faith healer would've had better luck.

rabbit
09-29-04, 03:20 PM
How badly do the people in front of you need a computer? Not quite as bad. In fact, two that I know have worse computers than mine, but mine would work fine for what they need. I suggested that one of them take mine and IT give me a new one, but that isn't going to happen either.
What kind of IT dept do you have? Does your company have an agreement with a third party manufacturer? Too many questions. :)Our IT dept is, umm, well, very average. (If you want something done right, do it yourself.) Hence my frustration. As far as a manufacturer agreement, I don't think so but I'm not sure.

Cam
09-29-04, 03:21 PM
(As of now, I haven't completely ruled out accidentally downloading a virus that would disinigrate my machine yet leave the network intact, should such an animal exist.) Or does anyone else have any better ideas?

There is always the DIY virus.....

C:\> del command.com msdos.sys etc....

and C:\> del c:\windows\system32....... :D

nrc
09-29-04, 03:33 PM
Go to retrobox.com and buy a used P3 for yourself for $100. Then load Linux on it. :)

Tall1
09-29-04, 04:58 PM
Under your desk, make spaghetti with the electrical wires. Make one or two of the wires accessible to a mop or broom. Hope you have an inattentive janitor cleaning your area who will snag one of the errant wires with his/her mop or broom, toppling ur cpu, thus rendering in unrepairable. It worked for me years ago.

JoeBob
09-29-04, 05:49 PM
Be friendly with your IT people, don't be below bribery.

Insomniac
09-29-04, 07:20 PM
Not quite as bad. In fact, two that I know have worse computers than mine, but mine would work fine for what they need. I suggested that one of them take mine and IT give me a new one, but that isn't going to happen either.Our IT dept is, umm, well, very average. (If you want something done right, do it yourself.) Hence my frustration. As far as a manufacturer agreement, I don't think so but I'm not sure.

It doesn't seem like $500 for a new PC would be too much. Why is it?

rabbit
09-29-04, 08:39 PM
It doesn't seem like $500 for a new PC would be too much. Why is it?Lazy-@$$ advertising sales dept. :flame: Advertising revenue is the fuel that drives the news machine. When you have a group of guys who would rather sit around and pi$$ and moan about the economy than get off their butts and sell something, the budget shrivels up real fast. (It's also why I didn't get to cover any national races except for Indy this year. No $$ for travel expenses.)

Welcome to my world.

Hard Driver
09-29-04, 10:22 PM
What version of Windows are you running?
Do you know the spec's, Processor, memory?
What do you need the speed for?

I can't make them give you a new machine, but you might be able to tune it up a bit. First off, delete all the useless crap on your HD and defragment it. Second go to the start button and type msconfig. If you have 2000 or higher ( I think, it might work in 98 but I haven't been there in years) you can disable all the crap that is starting when you turn on your machine and eating up your memory. Yes, there is far more than what is in the startup group on your start menu. That is at least a place to start.

Cam
09-29-04, 11:23 PM
What version of Windows are you running?
Do you know the spec's, Processor, memory?
What do you need the speed for?

I can't make them give you a new machine, but you might be able to tune it up a bit.

Sorry..... I have never come across a winblows install that after a certain time just needs to be wiped out...... The damn registrry gets so clogged up in isnt funny..... that this company can put out such a flawed product and remain the #1 in revenue is just............

Criminal.... :shakehead

Sean O'Gorman
09-29-04, 11:34 PM
Criminal? I was going to say Genius. I wish I could get away with such mediocrity in the workplace. ;)

Cam
09-29-04, 11:37 PM
Criminal? I was going to say Genius. I wish I could get away with such mediocrity in the workplace. ;)

My reply..... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Someone gets it! ;)

nz_climber
09-30-04, 12:01 AM
hehe nice call cam and sean :D

Steve99
10-01-04, 02:39 PM

This seems to sum up what is wrong with society today.

Sean O'Gorman
10-01-04, 02:59 PM
Are you talking about Microsoft's success or my desire to get away with being mediocre? :D

Ferdman
10-01-04, 05:20 PM
that this company can put out such a flawed product and remain the #1 in revenue is just............

Criminal.... :shakehead

Didn't you know that Microsoft is a marketing company that just happens to program. :laugh:

RaceGrrl
10-01-04, 10:12 PM
Are you talking about Microsoft's success or my desire to get away with being mediocre? :D

I'd say you're already a success at that :D

meadors
10-03-04, 05:08 PM
What the heck is delayrun.exe and shold I get rid of it?

Cam
10-03-04, 05:21 PM
What the heck is delayrun.exe and shold I get rid of it?

Google is your friend. :D http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/delayrun/