PDA

View Full Version : Lotta questions

nrc
09-28-04, 07:23 PM
A Detroit Free Press sports writer asks a lot of questions about open wheel. Got answers? Would you like to see Champ car back in Detroit?

http://www.freep.com/sports/othersports/brudenell28e_20040928.htm

rabbit
09-28-04, 07:36 PM
Would you like to see Champ car back in Detroit?I'd like to see Champ Car back in Detroit, Mid-Ohio, Indy and MIS. I'd like to see Gil de Ferran, Jacques Villeneuve, Robby Gordon, Juan Montoya and more back in Champ Car. But the 90s are over. It's a different series now.

/doesn't care anymore

dando
09-28-04, 08:27 PM
I'd like to see Champ Car back in Detroit, Mid-Ohio, Indy and MIS. I'd like to see Gil de Ferran, Jacques Villeneuve, Robby Gordon, Juan Montoya and more back in Champ Car. But the 90s are over. It's a different series now.

/doesn't care anymore

<sigh> Indeed. But it's also a different world now. One can always hope, tho. :)

EDIT: forgot thoughts on Detroit....always one of the worst of the concrete canyon races. The only really interesting races there were fuel mileage races, and I'm not a big fan of those. I'll pass unless it somehow influences Detroit manufacturer support (read as Ford), but with Cosworth up for sale, that doesn't appear to matter anymore. :thumdown:

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
09-28-04, 11:44 PM
I'd like to see Champ Car back in Detroit, Mid-Ohio, Indy and MIS. I'd like to see Gil de Ferran, Jacques Villeneuve, Robby Gordon, Juan Montoya and more back in Champ Car. But the 90s are over. It's a different series now.

/doesn't care anymore

I was thinking the same thing too.

Seeing Champ Car turn into something new and exciting while keeping the core of what made it so great would be what I'd like to see, but who knows anymore? I guess I'll keep following because if I were to walk away from following Champ Car, there'd be nothing to fill the void. :)

CART T. Katz
09-29-04, 11:44 AM
back to detroit? yes
back to belle isle? hail no

pchall
09-29-04, 02:18 PM
back to detroit? yes
back to belle isle? hail no

not unless the Mi ANG brings a lot of AM-2 matting for the paddock!

L1P1
09-29-04, 09:39 PM
My response to his questions. I sent this to him and hopefully he'll be able to see past some horrible paragraph break problems which I've clean up here. Some of my comments may raise some ire here so it could be fun...

----

I wanted to respond to the questions you pose in your Sept. 28th article, as I believe that I have a somewhat unique perspective having grown up in Detroit but later settling in Indianapolis. I've spent about half my life in each city and have been closely following this IndyCar/ChampCar split debacle from the beginning.

>>Champ Car seems to be more popular overseas than here. Why are races in Canada, Mexico and Australia well received? <<

Our U.S. races used to have an equally strong following but somehow the U.S. has become much more insulated from the rest of the world. NASCAR has institutionalized the oval track roots of American racing and the IRL, I think, wants to be a part of that. Other countries, however, haven't changed and remained focused on what the top tier of motorsport should be - The fastest, most advanced cars on the planet.

I think he's since been eclipsed, but a few years ago the highest paid sports figure in the world wasn't Michael Jordan, but rather, Michael Schumacher. Most people in the U.S. wouldn't have a clue who he is.

I think that national pride plays a bigger role in Canada and Mexico where the native corporations will invest in young talent and bring them along and finally fund their rides at the top tier. And it works. The Mexican and Canadian drivers become top stars and the corporations that supported them become heroes.

With Australia I think it's a little different. The U.S. and Australia share a lot of history and the same spirit. So while Australia is probably more international - also hosting a great Formula 1 Grand Prix - The Aussies can also appreciate the brutish American cousin of the refined European Grand Prix car. Vying for top spot in the motorsport land of Oz is the V8 Supercar series. A road racing circuit similar to British Touring cars but eschewing the four cylinder engines in favor of good old V8 overkill.

>>Should there be one -- not two -- open-wheel series in North America? Who should run it, and what should it be called? <<

The easy ones first: One series called IndyCar. But perhaps in two divisions that cater to the diverse needs of sponsors and manufacturers. Perhaps the IndyCar World Series (international and road-racing oriented) and the IndyCar National Championship (domestic oval oriented). Maintain the rivalry, give the sponsors options and offer every-weekend racing (without the drain on the crews). Then produce a limited number of combined super events (such as the Indianapolis 500) which offer double points.
Now, who should run such a thing. This problem has been vexing the sport since the '70's.

Probably the best person to do this is Roger Penske. But he'd have to answer to a board of directors composed of manufacturers, track and team owners and promoters.

IMS President Tony George cannot have complete control. He started the current mess and continues to obstruct every attempt of reconciliation made (other than making a half- hearted attempt to buy CART's assets in order to shut dow..., er,.. unify the sport).

>>If the IRL and Champ Car became one, could it rival the popularity of NASCAR? <<

Potentially yes. But it's far from certain. The fan confusion and apathy could be eliminated. And NASCAR - which is becoming ever more vacuous in it's same-ness could experience a backlash of the sort that might launch another series to equal greatness.

But in order to do this, IndyCar needs, not only to reunify, but to redefine itself. The days of track records are nearly over. The cars are being artificially slowed down while high banks speed them up again.

The whole open-wheel concept is arguably an anachronism. Ground effects, such as those used on a Lemans prototype are the path to speed (and cars that can run closely with each other without catastrophic turbulence).
Any evolution of this nature has been put on hold by the split. Neither side can redefine itself without ceding ground to the other.

>>Should Detroit host an open-wheel race again? If so, where should it be held? <<

Absolutely. It's the Motor City for Pete's sake. Belle Isle and Downtown are the obvious historical choices. But Dearborn might be better. Perhaps incorporating a large office park that tends to be underutilized on the weekends and within camera shot of the corporate headquarters of many manufacturers.

>>Is there continued room for two series? <<

It seems that two series can survive but not thrive.

>>Foreign-born drivers are dominating the IRL and Champ Car. Is this good, or do we need to foster more American talent? <<

Jackie Stewart became an American icon without being American at all. Foreign-born drivers are good for the sport. But not having an answer for them isn't. Popularity alone can solve this. In such a situation, U.S. companies will support the development of U.S. drivers. But it is a bit of a catch-22.

>>Has the Indianapolis 500 suffered because of the CART- IRL split? If so, why? <<

I can personally attest that the Indianapolis 500 has been nearly devastated. I remember moving to Indianapolis in 1986 and each May would be a city-wide carnival. The buzz was electric. Anyone could find some aspect to fall in love with.

Be it the high-society soirees or the antics in the snake pit; the engine/chassis/tire manufacturor battles, the driver battles, the Daid vs. Goliath stories, etc. etc. One person described it in a most unforgettable way as a multifacted gem that could be turned around and around in one's fingers while unceasingly discovering all of the different perspectives. A very intriguing and enduring image. for me. And one that's only partially true now. In fact, half of the facets are now covered by duct tape.

Indianapolis used to have two major holiday seasons per year. Now it has another Presidents Day.

>>Do you like IRL or Champ Car drivers better? Who is the superior driver? The IRL is introducing road courses to its format in 2005. Good or bad? <<

The unfortunate part for drivers in this deal is that they're largely pawns. A switch between one series and the other will make them simultaeously vilified and hailed by the opposing camps. There are very few that can afford to make their decisions on ideology alone. They'll follow the guy with the open checkbook.

The jury will remain out on the IRL road courses for a while I think. I think any reasonable discussion will result in the conclusion that drivers trained on road courses take to ovals easier than oval track drivers take to road courses. But it appears that the impact of road courses on the IRL schedule will likely be as inconsequential as NASCAR races at Watkins Glen or Sears Point. Will we see Ron Fellows stepping into into a one-off IRL drive?

There are also questions about the IRL package on road courses. Some (unsubstatiated) reports have them being awful or worse in those environs. But more importantly, what will be the response of the fans?

At St. Petersburg, I think we may see the answer. Despite the names and the manufacturers, the IRL will face a challenge with the two fan bases - the road/street course afficiandos, and the 'event' fans. Indy aside, will an urban market be as seduced by a series that races in Kansas, Kentucky and Texas as they were by one that raced at Long Beach, Laguna Seca, Montreal, Surfers Paradise, etc?

>>What irks you most about the IRL or Champ Car? What do you like best? <<

The thing that irks me most is that they both have become that which they most hated. ChampCar ahas become the much- derided spec-series while the IRL has managed to take the worst features of a manufacturer-dominated series and combine it with the worst features of a spec-series.
What do I like best? The fact that both series are failing. Hopefully, this will inspire a bold positive move that could finally end this painful period in motorsport history.

>>What IRL and Champ Car events do you like best or least? <<

The ChampCar race at Cleveland offers the best racing in the world. The IRL race at Texas Motor Speedway is simply irresponsible.
>>Did the split between the two series really affect you? Or couldn't you care less?<<

I've been extremely passionate about this subject for nearly 10 years now, but the needle is drifting down towards 'E'.

oddlycalm
09-30-04, 05:21 AM
Good response L1P1. There's still time to salvage some vestige of US racing, but not much and the clock is ticking. For those of us that remember the days of powerful and challenging cars with top shelf talent behind the wheel (you name the series) today's "product" sucks 20 bars of vacuum. I'd rather go to the local kart track than watch cars glued to the track go round and round flat.

oc

nrc
10-06-04, 02:15 PM
Follow-up stories.

http://www.freep.com/sports/othersports/brudenell1e_20041001.htm
http://www.freep.com/sports/othersports/brudenell5e_20041005.htm

I see a lot of agreement in these responses, but no real solutions unless you count Robin Miller's helicopter solution.

JLMannin
10-07-04, 03:57 PM
<sigh> Indeed. But it's also a different world now. One can always hope, tho. :)

EDIT: forgot thoughts on Detroit....always one of the worst of the concrete canyon races. The only really interesting races there were fuel mileage races, and I'm not a big fan of those. I'll pass unless it somehow influences Detroit manufacturer support (read as Ford), but with Cosworth up for sale, that doesn't appear to matter anymore. :thumdown:

-Kevin

The Belle Isle races sucked big time - those were real yawners, IMO. I thought the downtown street circuit was better.

Ankf00
10-07-04, 05:38 PM
today's "product" sucks 20 bars of vacuum.
oc

I'm telling you guys, the OU sucks force is infinite and affecting all things!

oddlycalm
10-07-04, 08:24 PM
Follow-up stories.

http://www.freep.com/sports/othersports/brudenell1e_20041001.htm
http://www.freep.com/sports/othersports/brudenell5e_20041005.htm

I see a lot of agreement in these responses, but no real solutions unless you count Robin Miller's helicopter solution.

Sure, most people do agree on what they would like to see happen, but Robin Miller is the only one that is publically discussing what it will take to get there.

oc