PDA

View Full Version : Support race idea

stroker
09-28-04, 11:36 AM
This is just some free-thinking, all, so please don't turn me into a crispy-critter.

The other day some kid went past me in a fart can Civic, and I thought to myself, "Some folks think that's the new Champ Car fan..." and it started me wondering how I'd try to approach the demographic.

Seems to me like a big part of the culture is to be ready for the grudge race, either at the local drag strip or the stop light GP. Let's say you live in SoCal and you had a car you were proud of, and somebody was talkin' smack about your baby. You, obviously, might want to do the grudge match thing.

Here's the idea part. What if, given that you had an SCCA licensed driver (presumably YOU, which is a secondary benefit to the idea, or failing that a trusted buddy) and the car was able to pass SCCA tech, you could enter a "King of the Street" race as a support race for the LB Champ Car race? Assuming you could get 20 cars (geez, I'd think you could) wouldn't that make an interesting local angle to the series? Give the fans somebody from Tustin, Alameda, etc. to root for? What about all the local tuner shops? Retailers for aero kits? Don't you think that race would have a pretty good chance of becoming THE local street rod cultural event of the year?

Now expand that idea to the other street races that OWRS might develop. Now factor in that the top two cars of each race are eligible for the Championship Race at the end of the year, held in city X?

I think the phrase "King of the Street" is already taken by a drag racing series, so we'd need a different name.

Feedback?

SteveH
09-28-04, 12:25 PM
Not a flame, however car manufacturers are now searching SCCA, rally, autocross, etc. results on the net to determine if any of their customers are racing. If they are, their warranty is canceled. Suburu is very active in this area. Which is ironic as they were including free SCCA memberships with the purchase of a new WRX. But you couldn't use it to race the WRX, else you'd lose the warranty.

stroker
09-28-04, 12:55 PM
I saw something in the news the other day that NHTSA is going to mandate black boxes in all cars. That pretty well kills performance driving in new models, as they'll be able to record any violations of RPM, speed, etc.

A valid point, but doubt the kind of people worried about warranties are the kinds of folks who'd be interested in this to begin with.

Methanolandbrats
09-28-04, 01:03 PM
I saw something in the news the other day that NHTSA is going to mandate black boxes in all cars. That pretty well kills performance driving in new models, as they'll be able to record any violations of RPM, speed, etc. F'n insurance companies are pushing that one so they can raise your premium if you attack an occasional off ramp. *******s.

nrc
09-28-04, 01:15 PM
A valid point, but doubt the kind of people worried about warranties are the kinds of folks who'd be interested in this to begin with.

Unfortunately some folks think they should be able to crank up the boost on their turbo to 11, blow it up, put things back to normal, and then take it in and have the manufacturer pay to fix it.

Sean O'Gorman
09-28-04, 03:13 PM
No.

No offense, but there are so many things wrong with that idea that I don't even know where to start.

rabbit
09-28-04, 04:36 PM
F'n insurance companies are pushing that one so they can raise your premium if you attack an occasional off ramp. *******s.
They can get away with it because their product is required by law. Must be nice. I wish people were required by law to buy newspapers and read the sports section.

pchall
09-28-04, 04:49 PM
They can get away with it because their product is required by law. Must be nice. I wish people were required by law to buy newspapers and read the sports section.

Snews sales that bad, huh?

Dr. Corkski
09-28-04, 05:32 PM
Legal street race = not cool because it ain't underground and doesn't have that element of "danger" that appeals to those wankers. They are all about looking cool. They are just your token NASCAR rednecks in a different form.