09-28-04, 07:36 AM
Well kiss my grits! If that don't beat all. :gomer:

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?id=1890142

Methanolandbrats
09-28-04, 07:58 AM
Shazzam! It could well be, his daddy was an authority on loose belts. :D

Sean O'Gorman
09-28-04, 09:48 AM
Wow, that should be worth about $390,000 in die-cast sales alone for Little E. :rolleyes:

B3RACER1a
09-28-04, 10:45 AM
:shakehead

pchall
09-28-04, 10:48 AM
That was in the local snapper wrapper this morning.

:shakehead

Skater_36
09-28-04, 10:56 AM
Wow, that should be worth about $390,000 in die-cast sales alone for Little E. :rolleyes:

I'll bet the France's are pitching a flaming Corvette with a ghostly figure helping Jr out of the car right now.

Redwing
09-28-04, 10:59 AM
Thank you, oh Lord, for another NASCAR miracle.

pchall
09-28-04, 11:29 AM
They are probably chiseling his epitath now:

"Look, Dad! No HANS!!!"

Winston Wolfe
09-28-04, 11:52 AM
I'll bet the France's are pitching a flaming Corvette with a ghostly figure helping Jr out of the car right now.

That is an instant classic.

Action Performance could commission a "limited edition" Lil' E butane lighter than fits into the back of the flaming Corvette, and with the push of a button, you can re-enact the near fatal incident where his Daddy's ghost helped him out of the burning wreckage, to safety.... That is sure to be the highlight of many a Lil E's fans collections, right up there next to the KFC Commerorative Grease Bucket..... :shakehead

What will they think of next ?

RichK
09-28-04, 12:13 PM
If you watch the video closely, you can just make out the goat with a "3" on its side grazing in the vineyards across the highway.

http://www.czabe.com/backup/vol14_jun10/Goat's%20birthmark%20seen%20as%20Earnhardt%20tribu te_files/0703earnhardt-goat-ON.jpeg

RacinM3
09-28-04, 12:31 PM

Post of the week. And it's only Tuesday. :thumbup:

nrc
09-28-04, 01:09 PM
I'm thinking along the lines of a painting. A ghostly Dale Sr. helping pull Jr. from car as the flames flare in the background. All rendered in vibrant acrylic on luxurious velvet.

B3RACER1a
09-28-04, 01:53 PM
I say they put a vette at the track that when you put in 25 cents, it ignites. Everyone knows you're a fan of Dale, but we'll see if Dale is a fan of YOU. LOL! :rofl:

Skater_36
09-28-04, 03:37 PM
Post of the week. And it's only Tuesday. :thumbup:

The sad part is that it is not out of the question.

I went over to motorsports forum and the NASCAR faithful are eating the story up, promising to be glued to their tv sets for the interview. After reading a few of the posts there I've decided to begin work on a Dale Sr/Jr commerative turkey fryer kit. :gomer: I think some of those people would buy a dog turd if it was shaped like a 3 or an 8.

Methanolandbrats
09-28-04, 03:55 PM
The sad part is that it is not out of the question.

I went over to motorsports forum and the NASCAR faithful are eating the story up, promising to be glued to their tv sets for the interview. After reading a few of the posts there I've decided to begin work on a Dale Sr/Jr commerative turkey fryer kit. :gomer: I think some of those people would buy a dog turd if it was shaped like a 3 or an 8. Have the turkey fryer cast in the shape of a Vette with a 3 on one side and an 8 on the other.

FRANKY
09-28-04, 03:57 PM
Wasn't there a thread about spooky happenings in houses and businesses a while back? I don't dismiss what he said, not strange that he didn't realize that he rescued himself. If he actually thought someone else was involved then he's about as crackpot as those who thought they saw or heard ghosts and other strange phenomenons.

The "Lil' E butane lighter" idea would interesting though.

cart7
09-28-04, 04:37 PM
a Speed forum reader decided to dig up the original interview right after the wreck:

Dale Jr. said this right after his fire crash:
On the American LeMans Series practice crash
Dale Earnhardt Jr.: "The wreck was fiery and hot and the pain was intense. I remember everything about the wreck. I remember sliding, hitting, bursting into flames, climbing out, crawling away, getting up, getting put on a stretcher, going to the infield care center, getting morphine, and that was it."
(Sherryl Creekmore/NASCAR/ )

60 mins.
NEW YORK - Dale Earnhardt Jr. has trouble remembering those frantic seconds when he escaped from his burning racecar. He believes, however, his late father figured in his survival.
"I don't want to put some weird, you know, psycho twist on it like he was pulling me out or anything, but he had a lot to do with me getting out of that car," the NASCAR star said. "From the movement I made to unbuckle my belt to lying on the stretcher, I have no idea what happened."

:rolleyes:

Don Quixote
09-28-04, 06:40 PM
A book on this would sell 5 million copies, I gar-un-tee it (so long as the words are not too long). A comic book would sell 10 million. A made for TV movie would pull at least a 25 share. There is money to be made here. :gomer:

RTKar
09-28-04, 08:54 PM
It could be the start of a new religion (tax free of course)....the kind that comes with faith healing ,a theme park and a phone number for donations at the bottom of your TV screen.

dando
09-28-04, 09:19 PM
a Speed forum reader decided to dig up the original interview right after the wreck:

Dale Jr. said this right after his fire crash:
On the American LeMans Series practice crash
Dale Earnhardt Jr.: "The wreck was fiery and hot and the pain was intense. I remember everything about the wreck. I remember sliding, hitting, bursting into flames, climbing out, crawling away, getting up, getting put on a stretcher, going to the infield care center, getting morphine, and that was it."
(Sherryl Creekmore/NASCAR/ )

60 mins.
NEW YORK - Dale Earnhardt Jr. has trouble remembering those frantic seconds when he escaped from his burning racecar. He believes, however, his late father figured in his survival.
"I don't want to put some weird, you know, psycho twist on it like he was pulling me out or anything, but he had a lot to do with me getting out of that car," the NASCAR star said. "From the movement I made to unbuckle my belt to lying on the stretcher, I have no idea what happened."

:rolleyes:

What CBS and 60 Minutes involved with bogus reporting/story? Say it ain't so, Dan. :shakehead

Apologies all for any offense on the politico angle....

-Kevin

Lizzerd
09-28-04, 09:24 PM
It's CBS. The memories (or lack thereof) were forged.

Grunschev
09-30-04, 11:29 AM
It's CBS. The memories (or lack thereof) were forged.

I suppose it could have been worse. Had this been a 20/20 piece, we'd have to wonder if they rigged the fuel cell themselves, a la their "investigation" several years ago on the Chevy C-10 saddle tanks.

Igor

oddlycalm
09-30-04, 08:36 PM
This guy plays to the faithful like a good preacher. In the big picture, just one more voice out there telling the mouth breathers that dumb is cool, but he's a whole lot smoother than most.

Us hardcore fans show up for the racing, and in past years for the technology and capability of the cars, but for the masses it's all about driver personalities. Winning at the track is only part of the story.

oc

Lizzerd
09-30-04, 08:45 PM
I suppose it could have been worse. Had this been a 20/20 piece, we'd have to wonder if they rigged the fuel cell themselves, a la their "investigation" several years ago on the Chevy C-10 saddle tanks.

Igor

Doesn't really matter, but I think that was NBC. Could be wrong, though. Whatever... never mind.
:D

Skater_36
10-01-04, 09:13 AM
Doesn't really matter, but I think that was NBC. Could be wrong, though. Whatever... never mind.
:D

I believe NBC was the network that rigged the tanks with fireworks to produce the explosions on the S 10 but CBS (60 minutes strikes again) did produce the Audi "unintended acceleration" hoax that nearly forced Audi out of the U.S. market. Audi pursued the network legally and an on air retraction was eventually made by 60 minutes, but that side of the story didn't get the coverage that it deserved.

Methanolandbrats
10-01-04, 09:24 AM
60 Minutes sucks. Indeed they were the ones who did the hatchet job on Audi. They also had their pet moron Andy Rooney trash Rain-X. Then they had to admit he never used it and it worked.

mueber
10-01-04, 09:40 AM
This guy plays to the faithful like a good preacher. In the big picture, just one more voice out there telling the mouth breathers that dumb is cool, but he's a whole lot smoother than most.

Us hardcore fans show up for the racing, and in past years for the technology and capability of the cars, but for the masses it's all about driver personalities. Winning at the track is only part of the story.

oc

Somebody who gets it. Dale’s fans don’t want facts; they don’t even want racing; they want to belong to the sacred fraternity, and this is part of the package. Jr. would be a fool to play it any other way.

Racewriter
10-01-04, 10:21 AM
I've made a few calls. Immediately after the accident, Dale Jr. asked three people (two of whom I talked to personally, know, and trust) who pulled him out of the car. They each told him that no one did. Other than that, there are no facts to be confirmed or disproven.

Believe what you want. Me, I don't know what to make of it. But Dale Jr. isn't the first person to feel an "assist" from a family member, and he won't be the last.

If it were a ChampCar driver claiming this, you guys would be eating it up...

pchall
10-01-04, 10:34 AM

Now we wouldn't. We be calling him a nutjob.

jonovision_man
10-01-04, 10:38 AM
I've made a few calls. Immediately after the accident, Dale Jr. asked three people (two of whom I talked to personally, know, and trust) who pulled him out of the car. They each told him that no one did. Other than that, there are no facts to be confirmed or disproven.

The video clearly shows him pulling himself out of the car... that's the only fact most reasonable people need. :rolleyes:

jono

Racewriter
10-01-04, 02:10 PM
So why do you think he's doing this? A publicity stunt? He doesn't exactly need publicity. If he were an openwheel driver, that would be a logical explanation...

nrc
10-01-04, 02:19 PM
So why do you think he's doing this? A publicity stunt? He doesn't exactly need publicity. If he were an openwheel driver, that would be a logical explanation...

He was knocked silly by the crash. If his dad were still alive it would have been a family pet that returned from the dead to help him out of the car. Or maybe Elvis.

pchall
10-01-04, 02:23 PM
60 Minutes sucks. Indeed they were the ones who did the hatchet job on Audi. They also had their pet moron Andy Rooney trash Rain-X. Then they had to admit he never used it and it worked.

Rooney also took a gratuitous shot at Mario Andretti for writing in to say the product worked.

FCYTravis
10-01-04, 02:25 PM
I know personally, and have talked with, the three marshals on station at Turn 8 during that accident.

The fact that Dale, Jr. didn't even bother to mention their heroic efforts to battle the fire and drag him out of harm's way, and instead alluded to some strange connection with his father's ghost???? tells me all I need to know.

oddlycalm
10-01-04, 02:40 PM

Speak for yourself. I would cringe regardless of who was doing the shoveling.
What happened isn't the issue. Anyone that's been an emergency worker or a fireman has seen all kinds of remarkable things happen. What I referred to is the giant PR machine that would make a pop star or presidential politician blush out there banging away full time.

It's not about the racing. In fact the racing plays no more than a supporting role because on it's own it wouldn't amount to much.

oc

pchall
10-01-04, 03:25 PM
[QUOTE=oddlycalm]
What happened isn't the issue. QUOTE]

No, but the sudden loss of actual memory of the event is the odd thing.