PDA

View Full Version : China knows F1

Michaelhatesfans
09-23-04, 02:35 PM
The conference descended into farce almost immediately when a local journalist asked Schumacher: “Why do you always race in red? Is it your lucky colour?”
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=31172

Jervis Tetch 1
09-23-04, 03:06 PM
As the article said, red is considered the lucky colour of China hence "Red China" - :D

Brides in China also wear red instead of white like their Western Hemisphere sisters. I had the good fortune to attend a friend's wedding several years ago in LA's Chinatown, where the Bride (a real China doll) wore red along with her parents and other relatives.

It's considered not only a lucky colour, but one of honour and respect.

But I'll always prefer British Racing Green. :p

Dr. Corkski
09-23-04, 04:40 PM
Since the media is government controlled there I would imagine the flow of info is not as efficient as it would be here, but that was bad.

On the brightside they already sound like some die-hard Champ Car fans. :p

Jervis Tetch 1
09-24-04, 12:56 PM
Dr. Corski, I certainly agree with you but isn't it strange that the Chinese journalists didn't really do their homework?

Surely they could have known about Ferrari? I mean, wouldn't the spin meisters of F1 (who are probably just as controlled by Bernie) try to help them by giving them a lesson in F1 101? They've presumably have had months preparing for this and since there appears to be no valid threat to the hardline government (I mean this is sport after all) why wouldn't there be any news on F1?

I'm at a loss just like Herr Schuey. I'm sure he found this all quite amusing.

oddlycalm
09-24-04, 07:58 PM
Very amusing, however in my experience our own local non-automotive journalists are quite capable of their own braindead questions when venturing into areas they are not familiar with, i.e. pretty much every subject you can name outside of city council meetings, local football scores and whether it rained yesterday. I recall one local reporter asking a Russian crewman rescued from a sinking fishing trawler off the coast if he was glad to be here, after which she followed up by asking if the water was cold... :shakehead

oc

Dr. Corkski
09-26-04, 12:59 PM
Dr. Corski, I certainly agree with you but isn't it strange that the Chinese journalists didn't really do their homework?

Surely they could have known about Ferrari? I mean, wouldn't the spin meisters of F1 (who are probably just as controlled by Bernie) try to help them by giving them a lesson in F1 101? They've presumably have had months preparing for this and since there appears to be no valid threat to the hardline government (I mean this is sport after all) why wouldn't there be any news on F1?

I'm at a loss just like Herr Schuey. I'm sure he found this all quite amusing.Yes they should have known, at the least the government should have preped them for a big event like that. If the media in China knows that much about F1, just imagine what kind of crowd CCWS would be able to get. There was a reason why WRC never went back to China. :rolleyes: