PDA

View Full Version : Homestead-Miami testing not for public view

SurfaceUnits
09-23-04, 01:19 AM
Tuesday, September 21, 2004

By John Oreovicz
Special to ESPN.com

With Florida hoping that Ivan was the third and final strike of the hurricane season, the Indy Racing League arrives at Homestead-Miami Speedway this week for the first test of the IndyCar Series' road racing package.

The testing Wednesday and Thursday will be closed to the public and media.

As such, don't expect to hear anything but positive emanations coming out of Homestead. But the truth is that the IndyCars will require a considerable amount of work to be road course ready.

"We're not going down there to set any track records," said Phil Casey, IRL's senior technical director. "We're just going down there to make sure everything works properly on a road course. All the parts are built. We want to have good transmissions and brakes and don't want to have any unforeseen problems come up. We just have to see it work on the track like we think it will."

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?id=1886121

Dave99
09-23-04, 01:27 AM
Hasn't Florida been through enough already?

Anyway, as I pack my gear for my trip to Vegas in the morning, I leave you with this...

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=4091257&a=31228211&p=69577392

Wheel-Nut
09-23-04, 09:34 AM
^ :thumbup: :D

Clown
09-23-04, 10:09 AM
^ :thumbup: :DYep :D

The Doctor
09-23-04, 12:01 PM
The IndyCars are likely to be seven to 10 seconds a lap slower than Champ Cars, a disparity that fans of the latter series are likely to highlight.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Slower than Atlantics. Faster than Barber Dodge. At least they can always say that.
St. Petersburg:
Leonardo Maia 1:14.142 (87.691 mph) BDPS
Sebastien Bourdais 1:00.928 (106.710) CCWS

Jervis Tetch 1
09-23-04, 02:50 PM
So why no media allowed? Is Queen Anton and his incompetent propaganda revisionists (I.E. PR staff) afraid of something?

:gomer:

So what's the real reason?

Do they think poster boy Sam the Sham won't put up a respectable time. This is for all the losers who think Sham would be up front in any road race :thumdown:

Sean O'Gorman
09-23-04, 03:27 PM
Supposedly they are using the FULL road course, without T3 and T4. Anyone want to dig up the laptimes from when Atlantics last ran the road course, see if was the same configuration (I can't remember), and check what their laptimes were?

Methanolandbrats
09-23-04, 03:47 PM
So why no media allowed? Is Queen Anton and his incompetent propaganda revisionists (I.E. PR staff) afraid of something: What they call a "test" is gonna be one huge cluster #### of stalled cars, broken parts, confused mechanics, spins, grinding gears and slow, ugly laps. I too am baffled by the lack of written press and photographers.

Lizzerd
09-23-04, 07:30 PM
The testing Wednesday and Thursday will be closed to the public and media.

Well, WISH TV 8 in Indy just had video of the slugs and a reporter in the pits on the local news.

Gaylio and Dashley were interviewed. The Brazilian said something like "well, I was trying to forget how to turn right, and was getting pretty good at it, but now they want me to do again. We'll see how it goes."

I was laughing so hard I didn't listen to Mr. Judd.

Hard Driver
09-23-04, 08:13 PM
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/13053/

http://www.speedtv.com/_assets/library/img/large/42575_bdd.jpg

Sean O'Gorman
09-23-04, 08:16 PM
If there was ever a moment on this forum where I wished to see a red X in place of an actual picture...

RTKar
09-23-04, 08:21 PM
Rain tires???....must be waiting for a hurricane.... :saywhat:

Robstar
09-23-04, 08:38 PM
Yeah, what is with the wets ? :confused:

Methanolandbrats
09-23-04, 08:41 PM
Yeah, what is with the wets ? :confused: Why waste new tires when you don't know if the gearbox will last an entire lap.

rabbit
09-23-04, 08:47 PM
Must... purge... eyes...

http://f1.racing-live.com/photos/2004/spa/diapo_271.jpg

Phew, that's better.

Robstar
09-23-04, 08:48 PM
Why waste new tires when you don't know if the gearbox will last an entire lap.

Oh yeah, I didn't think of that - Ta... :o

racer2c
09-23-04, 09:31 PM
Well, WISH TV 8 in Indy just had video of the slugs and a reporter in the pits on the local news.

Gaylio and Dashley were interviewed. The Brazilian said something like "well, I was trying to forget how to turn right, and was getting pretty good at it, but now they want me to do again. We'll see how it goes."

I was laughing so hard I didn't listen to Mr. Judd.

And to paraphrase Cornish, "I like it and what not."

dando
09-23-04, 09:43 PM
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/13053/

I think I'm gonna hurl:

“We didn't do many laps yesterday, so the first 15 laps really gave us a direction which we translated into a setup overnight,” Franchitti said. “It’s running well. I’m pleasantly surprised with the way everything is reacting. The car is a lot of fun to drive. The engine, for an engine that’s built to run on ovals, it’s pretty good. We’re still trying stuff for the IRL, still trying different brake packages and stuff, and again we're getting positive results with that. Overall, we're very happy and having a good time.”

Team owner Michael Andretti was similarly enthused. “It was a must for open-wheel racing, and I think it’s the first step in getting us back to where we used to be,” Andretti said of the move to road racing. “We were excited as a team, and I know as a series, I think everybody is excited.”

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
09-23-04, 09:47 PM
Mike Andretti is such an ********. I just want to throw up everytime he opens his mouth. If there is any karma in the World that greedy, whining POS will get what's coming to him. :mad:

Sean O'Gorman
09-23-04, 10:55 PM
If there is any karma in the World that greedy, whining POS will get what's coming to him. :mad:

The fact that his wife was cheating on him seems to be a pretty good start...

Methanolandbrats
09-23-04, 11:06 PM
The fact that his wife was cheating on him seems to be a pretty good start... Only if she gave him Aids :thumbup:

jcollins28
09-24-04, 02:34 AM
The fact that his wife was cheating on him seems to be a pretty good start...

Do bad it she was not doing it with someone like Dinger or SeaBass!...lol

Chicks dig the turbo.......

Lizzerd
09-24-04, 02:58 AM
Only if she gave him Aids :thumbup:

Oh, man... that's cruel. I wouldn't wish that on anybody, but you are referring to The Forgotten Son of the Legend, right? Never mind... :saywhat:

Chiphead_Dave
09-24-04, 11:30 AM
You mean Mikey's trophy wife is cheating on him.

HHHHASHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAA snort plop.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Not to pick on the guy but my wife called that one
the first time she ever saw a picture of them
together.

racer2c
09-24-04, 11:33 AM
You mean Mikey's trophy wife is cheating on him.

HHHHASHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAA snort plop.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Not to pick on the guy but my wife called that one
the first time she ever saw a picture of them
together.

I think he meant his first trophy wife.

Ferdman
09-24-04, 11:42 AM
Mikey losing two wives. Hmmmmm.......do we see a pattern here? Hey Mikey, even your wive's can't stand you.