PDA

View Full Version : WTF is this?

Tim
09-16-04, 09:54 PM
From Champweb.net:

Old Champ Car's? 09-16
Champweb.net has been told that Chip Ganassi and Roger Penske will be testing old Champ Car's at Mid-Ohio shortly. We don't know how old of cars they are testing and we have no idea why they would be testing them. Our initial thought was to test the IRL engine in the chassis, but the way the Champ Car chassis is designed it can not fit an IRL Normally Aspirated engine.

Another rumor we heard was that Toyota was interested in testing their old Champ Car engine ('02) in a current Champ Car chassis to see if everything works properly. Test would be done by Newman-Haas.

All very speculative rumors.

This openwheel war just gets weirder and weirder.

rabbit
09-16-04, 09:56 PM
"WTF is this?"

"All very speculative rumors."

B3RACER1a
09-16-04, 11:06 PM
I'm not betting on anything. :saywhat:

nrc
09-16-04, 11:09 PM
Sounds like we need a spyplane. :)

Clown
09-16-04, 11:13 PM
The IRL had a test at Road America. Their chassis sucked in the corners, and their engine had a hard time getting up a hill.

Seems Capt :gomer: thinks the solution is Champ Car chassis and engines.

For those keeping score:
Champ Car teams
Champ Car drivers
Champ Car events
Champ Car tracks
and now pencil in
Champ Car chassis
Champ Car engines

CART 2 :laugh:

JoeBob
09-16-04, 11:14 PM
They could be testing IRL bits on a ChampCar to get around the IRL's rules.

First question would have to be where they'd get engines. Penske's cars would have been fitted for Hondas, not Toyota's. Honda isn't about to give a Toyota team an engine to borrow, and I doubt there's a kit to convert a Honda Reynard to a Toyota Reynard. It probably wouldn't be worth the cost to putz around at Mid-Ohio.

Then there's the fact that Cheep is the kind of guy who'd be the first one to sell his old cars for a quick buck, so who knows if he even has cars.

My guess is that somebody is yanking ChampWeb's chain.

FTG
09-16-04, 11:19 PM
My guess is that after 10 years of stupidity, thing are going to get even stupider.

Sean O'Gorman
09-16-04, 11:39 PM
Then there's the fact that Cheep is the kind of guy who'd be the first one to sell his old cars for a quick buck, so who knows if he even has cars.

Aren't Ganassi's old Lolas Forsythe's current chassis?

Either way, I agree with the champweb comment.

cart7
09-17-04, 07:42 AM
These guys are Toyota's top line teams. Hmmm... maybe they know something everyone else is just speculating on?

Methanolandbrats
09-17-04, 09:08 AM
Maybe Floyd and Roger just miss being around racing cars.

mueber
09-17-04, 09:34 AM
Maybe Floyd and Roger just miss being around racing cars.

Maybe they miss being around race tracks.

Rob Devlin
09-17-04, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob

Aren't Ganassi's old Lolas Forsythe's current chassis?

Either way, I agree with the champweb comment.

Remember this is coming from the rumor section so even champweb is questioning it.

MAXAR RE
09-17-04, 09:45 AM
[QUOTE=Sean O'Gorman]Aren't Ganassi's old Lolas Forsythe's current chassis?QUOTE]

Yup. When Paul demanded Lolas as part of his deal to sign with Forsythe, Gerry bought all Fatassi's Lolas, as well as all their setups and race data. That's why they were so fast right out of the blocks last year; they didn't have to "learn" how to set up the Lolas, just modify the setups. I always figured that Bruno was secretely infuriated that Tracy beat him to the 2003 Championship (Champanship for you Bruno fans) using his old setups. :D

Fitti Fan
09-17-04, 10:44 AM
Sounds like we need a spyplane. :)

LOL!!!

Cmndr Keen
09-17-04, 02:52 PM
I can't even wrap my brain around this....

DjDrOmusic
09-17-04, 03:32 PM
Roger, Cheep and Mikey will announce soon the formation of Championship Auto Racing League(CARL)with Rahal as the League President. CARL will use a new chassis/engine combination featuring turbocharged 2.8 L Toyota and Honda powerplants. The founding members will also sit down soon with Tony George to see if there can be an amicable relationship with IMS concerning the 500. Tony George will announce the formation of a new racing series using 3 wheeled chassis powered by rebuilt Yugo engines. A.J. Foyt will be the first entrant in the new series called the Indy Leader Oval Series Express(ILOSE). Sarah Fisher wins the first Indy 500 run by ILOSE as the only other drivers entered, AJ Foyt IV and Eddie Cheever crash on the warmup lap, after which Cheever proclaims the brilliance of Tony George and his visions.
:saywhat: :gomer: ;)

schla
09-17-04, 05:13 PM
They could be testing IRL bits on a ChampCar to get around the IRL's rules.

First question would have to be where they'd get engines. Penske's cars would have been fitted for Hondas, not Toyota's. Honda isn't about to give a Toyota team an engine to borrow, and I doubt there's a kit to convert a Honda Reynard to a Toyota Reynard. It probably wouldn't be worth the cost to putz around at Mid-Ohio.

um, maybe you meant "Toyota would not be happy with Penske checking out Honda motors?" I am sure Honda would be more than happy to get Penske on "their" team, even if they're planning to leave IRL anyway...

kit to convert a "Honda Reynard" to a "Toyota Reynard" ??? what was Ganassi running in CART when they left? ... how many championships did they win with the Toy/Reynard combo again?

JoeBob
09-17-04, 06:14 PM
Penske was running Reynard Hondas when he left. He currently fields Toyota powered cars. For this rumor to be true, Penske would have to convert his Reynards to be able to run a Toyota engine.

Steve99
09-18-04, 12:35 AM
Ganasty won his championships in Honda Reynards but switched to Toyota Lola the last couple of years before jumping ship. As has been said, Chippy sold the Lolas, which leaves him with some Reynard chassis that need Honda engines.

SurfaceUnits
09-18-04, 02:44 PM
maybe yoda is looking to move some inventory, depending on the Cosworth outcome. u herd it heer furst

Itanimulli
09-19-04, 12:34 AM
Well. They would be the only champcars running at M-O this year unfortunately. :confused:
The good news is that the runoffs are only days away. :thumbup:

See ya at the track. :)

FRANKY
09-19-04, 12:21 PM
Penske was running Reynard Hondas when he left. He currently fields Toyota powered cars. For this rumor to be true, Penske would have to convert his Reynards to be able to run a Toyota engine.

In other words it's B.S.?

Turbos 4 Life
09-20-04, 08:35 AM
Roger, Cheep and Mikey will announce soon the formation of Championship Auto Racing League(CARL)with Rahal as the League President. CARL will use a new chassis/engine combination featuring turbocharged 2.8 L Toyota and Honda powerplants. The founding members will also sit down soon with Tony George to see if there can be an amicable relationship with IMS concerning the 500. Tony George will announce the formation of a new racing series using 3 wheeled chassis powered by rebuilt Yugo engines. A.J. Foyt will be the first entrant in the new series called the Indy Leader Oval Series Express(ILOSE). Sarah Fisher wins the first Indy 500 run by ILOSE as the only other drivers entered, AJ Foyt IV and Eddie Cheever crash on the warmup lap, after which Cheever proclaims the brilliance of Tony George and his visions.
:saywhat: :gomer: ;)
I can't believe you beat me to the story! DRAT! Ftg!!and his merry band of henchmen!!

Turbos 4 Life
09-20-04, 08:37 AM
Well. They would be the only champcars running at M-O this year unfortunately. :confused:
The good news is that the runoffs are only days away. :thumbup:

See ya at the track. :)
RUNOFFS BABY!! I AM THERE. :thumbup:

4wheeldrifter
09-21-04, 08:05 AM
RUNOFFS BABY!! I AM THERE. :thumbup:

You bet ya. I think the wife and I are having M-O withdrawals too. We'll be there, probably on Sunday. :thumbup: