PDA

View Full Version : New Qualifying Format

Brickman
09-14-04, 02:03 PM
NEW QUALIFYING FORMAT TO ENHANCE DRAMA, COMPETITION AT INDY

INDIANAPOLIS, Tuesday, Sept. 14, 2004 – An exciting new qualifying procedure for the Indianapolis 500 will create even more drama and excitement for drivers, teams and fans while returning qualifying to its traditional four-day format, Indianapolis Motor Speedway officials said Sept. 14.

The new format will debut during the 89th Indianapolis 500 in May 2005. MBNA Pole Day is scheduled for Saturday, May 14, with Second Day Qualifying on Sunday, May 15, Third Day Qualifying on Saturday, May 21 and Bump Day on Sunday, May 22.

Among the highlights of the new format is the potential for cars being “bumped” out of the starting field by faster cars each of the four days of qualifying.

“We think this new qualifying format is exciting for everyone involved with the ‘Greatest Spectacle in Racing,’” said Tony George, Indianapolis Motor Speedway president and CEO. “It will provide even more drama and competition on each day.

“Qualifying formats for the Indianapolis 500 have evolved throughout the years since the lineup for the first race in 1911 was determined by the dates when entries were received, and we’re confident this new system honors the tradition of four days of qualifying at Indy while introducing some new elements to the event.”

Here’s a look at each of the four days of qualifying in the new format in 2005. Qualifying speeds will continue to be determined by the overall time and average speed for four laps around the historic 2.5-mile oval:

•MBNA Pole Day, Saturday, May 14: Positions one through 11 in the 33-car field are available to the fastest 11 qualifiers that day. Once the 11 spots are full, bumping will occur for the rest of the day to determine the MBNA Pole and the fastest 11 qualifiers for that day.

•Second Day Qualifying, Sunday, May 15: Positions 12 through 22 are available. Once those spots are full, bumping will occur only in spots 12 through 22 for the rest of the day to determine the fastest 11 qualifiers for that day.

•Third Day Qualifying, Saturday, May 21: Positions 23 through 33 are available. Once those spots are full, bumping will occur only in spots 23-33 for the rest of the day to determine the fastest 11 qualifiers for that day.

•Bump Day, Sunday, May 22: Any qualifying attempt on the fourth day that is faster than a qualified entrant in the 33 positions in the starting field will bump the slowest qualifier from the field, regardless of the day of qualification. The “bumped” entrant will be removed from the field of 33, and the remaining field will move ahead one position in the starting field as the newly qualified entrant will take the 33rd position, or a higher position if faster than the other fourth-day qualifiers.

Each car, primary or backup, will have three attempts per day to qualify for the Indianapolis 500. If a car is bumped on any day of qualifications, that entrant can re-enter the qualification line and attempt to re-qualify based on the numbers of attempts remaining for that car.

Entrants also can still withdraw qualified cars from the field at their choice, but that car still will be allowed to make qualifying attempts based on the number of attempts it has remaining for the day. The car does not have to be removed from competition, as in previous formats.

Brickman
09-14-04, 02:04 PM
Q&A: NEW INDIANAPOLIS 500 QUALIFYING FORMAT

INDIANAPOLIS, Tuesday, Sept. 14, 2004 – Questions and answers about the new qualifying format for the Indianapolis 500:

The new format will debut during the 89th Indianapolis 500 in May 2005. MBNA Pole Day is scheduled for Saturday, May 14, with Second Day Qualifying on Sunday, May 15, Third Day Qualifying on Saturday, May 21 and Bump Day on Sunday, May 22.

Among the highlights of the new format is the potential for cars being “bumped” out of the starting field by faster cars each of the four days of qualifying.

Question: Will drivers still make four-lap qualification attempts for the race?

Answer: Yes. Each driver’s qualifying time and speed will be based on the aggregate time and average speed of four laps around the historic 2.5-mile oval.

Q: In the past, each entered car could make only three qualifying attempts. How many attempts are available for each car in the new format?

A: Each car has up to three qualifying attempts per day in the new format. Theoretically, a car could make 12 attempts to earn a spot in the field, three on each of the four qualification days.

Q: If a qualified car is withdrawn from the field, is it removed from competition like in the previous format?

A: No. A qualified car withdrawn from the field still can re-enter the qualification line and attempt to re-qualify based on the number of attempts remaining for that car.

Q: What happens if it rains on Bump Day?

A: If all 33 positions have been filled in the first three days of qualifying, the Fourth Day (Bump Day) is not required. If the field is not full, the Indy Racing League and Indianapolis Motor Speedway officials will work together to determine the amount of qualifying time provided to teams on the next available day.

Q: What if the 11 spots available on one of the first three days of qualifying are not filled on that day?

A: The balance of that day’s spots would be added to the next day’s spots and contested during the entire next day of qualifying.

Q: How many attempts to qualify does a driver who qualified on MBNA Pole Day have if bumped from the field on Bump Day?

A: Three. Each car has three qualification attempts per day.

Q: What if a driver on Second Day Qualifying records the same qualifying time and speed as a driver did on MBNA Pole Day?

A: Each of these drivers would qualify for the race and be positioned by where they qualified on their respective day. MBNA Pole Day qualifiers temporarily hold positions one through 11. The fastest Second Day qualifier will start 12th, with the slowest Second Day qualifier starting 22nd, etc. But if the time and speed are the slowest in the field, the driver who recorded the time and speed on the second day would be the first to be bumped.

Q: Is the qualifying line system still in place?

A: Yes. There will be a qualifying draw for MBNA Pole Day. Once every driver in that line has either made an attempt or passed on their attempt, the line is considered “broken,” and the line is open for attempts by any driver or eligible car. When the qualifying day ends, all cars in line may reserve that spot for the following day. A draw then will be conducted for any cars not in line that wish to qualify.

Q: Why allow a bumped car back into the qualifying line?

A: This gives all drivers and all teams a legitimate shot at the race, including teams that may have only one car. A bumped car has to find the speed to get back in the field, which only increases the drama.

Q: A car qualified on MBNA Pole Day is withdrawn on Second Day Qualifying for whatever reason. Does that mean the fastest Second Day qualifier starts 11th or 12th?

A: If one of the 11 fastest qualifiers from MBNA Pole Day withdraws on the following day, that means the fastest qualifier of the Second Day will start 11th. Likewise, if an MBNA Pole Day car was withdrawn during Third Day Qualifying, then the fastest Third Day qualifier would start 22nd, not 23rd.

Q: Theoretically, can a driver make three qualifying runs in his primary car and three in his backup car in the same day?

A: Yes. Each car, whether it is a primary car or backup car, is allowed three qualification attempts per day.

Q: Can MBNA Pole Day qualifiers be bumped on Bump Day?

A: Yes, if an MBNA Pole Day qualifier’s speed is slower than the rest of the field, that driver is on the “bubble” and can be bumped from the field.

Q: Is a driver or car truly “locked” in to the field?

A: No. On Bump Day, the slowest qualifier in the 33-car field is on the “bubble,” regardless of what day that driver qualified, and can be bumped from the field. Though highly unlikely, the pole sitter could theoretically be bumped from the field.

Q: Will there be any need to wave off a driver on a qualifying run since the driver always can run the car again if it is too slow?

A: Yes. If a driver is trying to “bump” into one of the 11 spots on a qualifying day, a team will probably wave off a run if the driver is not up to speed.

RichK
09-14-04, 02:07 PM
This should make the FAA happy: Indianapolis International Airport will only be on Low Flying Traffic alert for 2 weeks.

Methanolandbrats
09-14-04, 02:13 PM
This has to be an attempted gomering

SteveH
09-14-04, 02:14 PM
Q: How many attempts to qualify does a driver who qualified on MBNA Pole Day have if bumped from the field on Bump Day?

A: Three. Each car has three qualification attempts per day.

Welcome my friends to the Mulligan 500. :gomer:

Methanolandbrats
09-14-04, 02:17 PM
Did a news search. It's for real. Well...

http://www.mayberry.com/interactive/wcard/cast_pic_gomer.gif

Shazamm!

If this does'nt bring the fans back, maybe they can invert the field on race day! :thumbup:

Steve99
09-14-04, 03:04 PM
So each piece of crap car can attempt to qualify 12 times? Talk about futility (foytility).

And once a car gets bumped or withdrawn you can just try again? Where is the drama in that?

Sean O'Gorman
09-14-04, 03:42 PM
Wow, finally something that makes the Monterrey Champ Car qualifying format seem comprehendable. :shakehead :rofl:

pchall
09-14-04, 03:51 PM
New qualifying floormat

As much as it would seem to be the usual suspects -- Mr. Ed and AJ4 -- these guys will be the hapless ones leftover in the IRL from the Split 2.1 who aren't intimately connected with the spinning at IMS/IRL central.

Goodbye, Scotty!

RTKar
09-14-04, 06:36 PM
Man :rolleyes: ...I used to LOVE the month of May.....you know, It wasn't that "broke" back in 94.... :shakehead

Steve99
09-14-04, 06:39 PM
Man :rolleyes: ...I used to LOVE the month of May.....you know, It wasn't that "broke" back in 94.... :shakehead

According to FTG (in the speedtv.com piece about today) it started breaking in the '80's. :shakehead

Ed_Severson
09-14-04, 06:46 PM
"Among the highlights of the new format is the potential for cars being “bumped” out of the starting field by faster cars each of the four days of qualifying."

What the **** difference does it make? You haven't had enough cars the last two years to have anybody bumped, let alone somebody every day of qualifying.

Oh well. At least I can drive around in May as I please without having to deal with all those pesky racing fans. They just got in the damn way anyhow.

DaveL
09-14-04, 06:58 PM
And yet another tradition is flushed down the toilet. Thanks for saving and preserving traditions Anton.

I remember the good ol' days when a bumped team would have to strike an 11th hour deal to buy someone's backup and make a bonzai 5:45 run on Bump Day* to get back in the field.

*For lurking IRL fans, "Bump Day" was when there were more cars than qualifying spots and the 33rd slowest qualifier would be bumped out of the fielld by a faster car. This would happen many times over until Tony fixed things.

Racewriter
09-14-04, 08:40 PM
Sad, yet funny...

nrc
09-14-04, 09:08 PM
"Among the highlights of the new format is the potential for cars being “bumped” out of the starting field by faster cars each of the four days of qualifying."

What the **** difference does it make? You haven't had enough cars the last two years to have anybody bumped, let alone somebody every day of qualifying.

It's purely a device to be able to say there was bumping. This way, someone can get bumped and if even if they requalify as the twenty seventh and last car Tony and his toadies can claim that they had bumping.

Jervis Tetch 1
09-14-04, 09:19 PM
The tradition went down the crapper in 1996...Buddy Lazier, Indy 500 champion...that's when the toilet really overflowed.

FRANKY
09-14-04, 09:27 PM
Frankly, Franky is confused. :confused:

So if I qualify 16th on the first day, my position isn't really officially 16th until the second day?

That's the day when they fill the positions 12-22. So if my speed falls somewhere in that range that's where I would end up?

But on the third day they can't bump me.

But on "Bump" day I could be bumped, any position faster than the slowest can bump.

:confused:

Racewriter
09-14-04, 09:34 PM
It's purely a device to be able to say there was bumping. This way, someone can get bumped and if even if they requalify as the twenty seventh and last car Tony and his toadies can claim that they had bumping.

Bingo.

Sean O'Gorman
09-14-04, 09:47 PM
Frankly, Franky is confused. :confused:

So if I qualify 16th on the first day, my position isn't really officially 16th until the second day?

That's the day when they fill the positions 12-22. So if my speed falls somewhere in that range that's where I would end up?

But on the third day they can't bump me.

But on "Bump" day I could be bumped, any position faster than the slowest can bump.

:confused:

If you qualified 16th on the first day, you have no grid spot, because you are not one of the top 11. You would have to be 5th fastest of the second day qualifiers in order to have the 16th grid spot. I would assume you could still get bumped on the third day if you are not one of the fastest 33. Unless pole day falls on the equinox, or during a full moon, in which case the starting line up is reversed. So yeah, I have no clue how it works.

However, if what I think is correct, it is indeed possible that someone who is technically one of the fastest 33 could end up not being in the grid.

Example: Weather conditions are ideal on day one and all the top teams go to qualify, and qualifying days 2-4 are in not so ideal weather conditions, with only the second rate teams qualifying. Say Driver A qualifies at 215.409, but it is only the 12th fastest time on Pole Day. He has no spot. Now if Driver A cannot turn a run fast enough to make it in on the remaining 3 days (as if there'd actually be bumping :rolleyes: ), he will not be in the Indy 500. Yet, there could be drivers who turned in runs slower than that 215.409 who do make the race.

Stupid, huh? I guess I just don't know what Indy means. :rofl:

RTKar
09-14-04, 09:54 PM
Too confusing.......just have heat races and invert the start.

Jag_Warrior
09-14-04, 09:59 PM
Well, this certainly brings back my desire to attend the Indy 500. And if I wasn't all set to shampoo my dog next Memorial Day, I'd be there. Really I would! Whew! Sarah gets bumped twice, but still makes the field... cause there ain't more than 33 cars!!! :p

RTKar
09-14-04, 10:21 PM
Well, this certainly brings back my desire to attend the Indy 500. And if I wasn't all set to shampoo my dog next Memorial Day, I'd be there. Really I would! Whew! Sarah gets bumped twice, but still makes the field... cause there ain't more than 33 cars!!! :p

Remember...these are the folks that brought you Greg Ray crashing twice but still being allowed to continue to race...

Ed_Severson
09-14-04, 11:24 PM
Did anybody catch the other little nugget of genius in this story?

The start time of the race has been moved from 11 AM to noon, to "help attract a bigger TV audience."

Yeah, that's the problem. :shakehead

nrc
09-15-04, 12:06 AM
They've replaced Bump Day with Bump Daze.

dando
09-15-04, 12:08 AM

The start time of the race has been moved from 11 AM to noon, to "help attract a bigger TV audience."

And pretty much ensuring no crossovers from NASCAB to fill the field. Somehow I'm reminded of Wil-E Coyote by this stroke of genius. Gomer fans simply can't string together enough cogent thoughts to get this format straight. :shakehead Can you just imagine Porky, Badyear, and Aroot,root, root fer the EARL trying to explain this format? Maybe they can bring back Baghdad Bob Jenkins to explain it to the faithful! :laugh:

-Kevin

nrc
09-15-04, 12:09 AM

Especially when it makes the NASCAR driver charade they played this year less plausible. Ah well, Tony will still sit in a car and it will still get more press then the whole qualifying farce.

And of course if the race runs long at all the pre-race for the World 600 will kill the ratings even more.

Lizzerd
09-15-04, 12:58 AM
"The fastest 33" doesn't apply any more, I guess.

Just bring in the worthless shill with the striped shirt into the ring to "officiate" the proceedings and wave the pretty colored flags while Boy George and FNation call the shots from the pagoda, the bikini clad babe carrying the big sign that says "2nd Attempt" to parade around the S/F line during the warmup laps, the PA announcer saying "Lllllleeeeetttssss geeeeetttt readdddyyyyy to buuuummmmmppppp!", the driver who is bumped (yeah, if that actually happens) hits the bumping driver over the head with a folding chair. Then the next day, when they both make the field because only 25 cars showed up, they hug each other and all is good on pit lane.

Jeeeezussss... This is far far worse that the fiasco that has become the "race for the Cup".

Crap, I could launch into a whole new thread about The Good Old Days, when I spent hundreds of hours at IMS in May. 6AM to 6PM every weekend day, quals or practice. Leaving work for Fast Friday and a couple other practice days, and a full day at the track on Carb Day. Sheesh... I'll save that for later.

pfc_m_drake
09-15-04, 02:26 AM
However, if what I think is correct, it is indeed possible that someone who is technically one of the fastest 33 could end up not being in the grid.

Example: Weather conditions are ideal on day one and all the top teams go to qualify, and qualifying days 2-4 are in not so ideal weather conditions, with only the second rate teams qualifying. Say Driver A qualifies at 215.409, but it is only the 12th fastest time on Pole Day. He has no spot. Now if Driver A cannot turn a run fast enough to make it in on the remaining 3 days (as if there'd actually be bumping :rolleyes: ), he will not be in the Indy 500. Yet, there could be drivers who turned in runs slower than that 215.409 who do make the race.
From what I understand, you are exactly correct.

Edit: Actually, the scenario I originally posted as a follow-on was incorrect. The 11th place driver would be on the bubble, not the polesitter. Brain fade...