PDA

View Full Version : The Chase

Brickman
09-14-04, 11:59 AM
NASACAR in their infinite wisdom gave stock car fans "The Chase". But as always the case with their system, it's not how good you do, but how bad you don't do. 5 points separating each of the top ten in points.

Top Twenty: (1-11 guaranteed a seat at the "big table".)

1. Jeff Gordon, 5050

2. Jimmie Johnson, 5045

3. Dale Earnhardt Jr., 5040

4. Tony Stewart, 5035

5. Matt Kenseth, 5030

6. Elliott Sadler, 5025

7. Kurt Busch, 5020

8. Mark Martin, 5015

9. Jeremy Mayfield, 5010

10. Ryan Newman, 5005

11. Jamie McMurray, 3171

12. Kasey Kahne, 3158

13. Bobby Labonte, 3137

14. Kevin Harvick, 3129

15. Dale Jarrett, 3100

16. Michael Waltrip, 2798

17. Rusty Wallace, 2775

18. Casey Mears, 2762

19. Sterling Marlin, 2752

20. Greg Biffle, 2749

Odds to win NASCAR Nextel Cup

Jeff Gordon 2/1
Jimmie Johnson 3/1
Dale Earnhardt Jr. 4/1
Tony Stewart 6/1
Matt Kenseth 7/1
Ryan Newman 10/1
Kurt Busch 12/1
Mark Martin 12/1
Jeremy Mayfield 15/1
Elliott Sadler 20/1

The Tracks:

SEPT. 19: NEW HAMPSHIRE
SEPT. 26: DOVER
OCT. 3: TALLADEGA
OCT. 10: KANSAS
OCT. 16: CHARLOTTE
OCT. 24: MARTINSVILLE
OCT. 31: ATLANTA
NOV. 7: PHOENIX
NOV. 14: DARLINGTON
NOV. 21: HOMESTEAD

pchall
09-14-04, 12:22 PM
I stopped caring about NASCAR about twenty years ago.

The points race doctoring will not increase my interest.

As a matter of fact, about the only thing that could get a bit of my interest is if NASCRAP adopted the full set of DTM regs and added a dozen road courses to the schedule. The France family still has a small margin to separate their 'sport' from the WWF, but the wiggle room is closing fast. But somehow I think we would all be better off if the 3rd generation ruined everything.

JLMannin
09-14-04, 12:30 PM
I'm still waiting for a "masked driver" to enter the series.

Then the transition will be complete.

devilmaster
09-14-04, 01:13 PM
Rambling thoughts in my head about the chase:

How many teammates of chase competitors will be put into the wall because someone else thinks they're blocking?
How will sponsors on non-chase cars feel about the extra attention the chase cars will get?
In NASCAR points system tradition, was the chase devised in a Daytona bar and originally written out on a cocktail napkin?
This is the best thing that they came up with? Really?
What is the urge for non chase drivers to compete in the last 10 races now?
For future years, will they drop the other shoe and have all chase competitors never get lapped, and always make the chase cars the top 10 positions on every restart?
The best thing they came up with??? Really???
My mother always taught me, 'don't protect a mistake by making a bigger one'. I should forward that to Nascar HQ.
Who feels more cheated? The guy who fought for 26 races and just missed out on the chase? Or the leader of the championship whose lead of almost 400 points on the other 9 chase cars has now dropped to 50 points?
How will the fickle Nascar crowd like this new 'chase' at the end of it?
In an effort to say its not a failure or a mistake, how many years will the chase be around? I say 10 to 15.
I want some of whatever Bill France adds to his oxygen tank.

Steve

Methanolandbrats
09-14-04, 01:24 PM
How many sponsors of cars not in the top ten will say "screw it" due to lack of exposure?

Brickman
09-14-04, 02:14 PM
How many teammates of chase competitors will be put into the wall because someone else thinks they're blocking?

I don't think blocking will be an issue.

How will sponsors on non-chase cars feel about the extra attention the chase cars will get?

They will put more pressure to be in the top ten, in reality it's the broadcast that will determine how they view The Chase.

In NASCAR points system tradition, was the chase devised in a Daytona bar and originally written out on a cocktail napkin?

Probably a racing forum. ;)

This is the best thing that they came up with? Really?

No. They saved that for new Indy Qualifying. :eek:

What is the urge for non chase drivers to compete in the last 10 races now?

They are out, drive like hell for the win. Jimmy Spencer should shine.

For future years, will they drop the other shoe and have all chase competitors never get lapped, and always make the chase cars the top 10 positions on every restart?

Only God knows.

The best thing they came up with??? Really???

Only Tony knows.

My mother always taught me, 'don't protect a mistake by making a bigger one'. I should forward that to Nascar HQ.

Good idea.

Who feels more cheated? The guy who fought for 26 races and just missed out on the chase? Or the leader of the championship whose lead of almost 400 points on the other 9 chase cars has now dropped to 50 points?

The guy with 400 points on the 10th place Chaser.

Don't know.

In an effort to say its not a failure or a mistake, how many years will the chase be around? I say 10 to 15.

Depends on the outcome.

I want some of whatever Bill France adds to his oxygen tank.

Be nice.

eiregosod
09-14-04, 02:15 PM

:rofl:

devilmaster
09-14-04, 02:42 PM
*Sigh*

For brick who has waaaaay too much time on his hands:

Main Entry: rhe·tor·i·cal
Pronunciation: ri-'tor-i-k&l, -'tär-
Variant(s): also rhe·tor·ic /ri-'tor-ik, -'tär-/
Function: adjective
1 a : of, relating to, or concerned with rhetoric b : employed for rhetorical effect; especially : asked merely for effect with no answer expected <a rhetorical question>
2 a : given to rhetoric : GRANDILOQUENT b : VERBAL
- rhe·tor·i·cal·ly /-i-k(&-)lE/ adverb

Steve

Steve99
09-14-04, 03:08 PM
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz

Sean O'Gorman
09-14-04, 03:46 PM
I can only hope the current 10th place ranked guy (Newman) ends up winning the whole thing, without actually winning one of the final 10 races. That'll really add some credibility to this whole thing. :rofl:

RTKar
09-14-04, 06:32 PM
I can only hope the current 10th place ranked guy (Newman) ends up winning the whole thing, without actually winning one of the final 10 races. That'll really add some credibility to this whole thing. :rofl:

Amen :thumbup:

Brickman
09-14-04, 07:33 PM
*Sigh*

For brick who has waaaaay too much time on his hands:

Main Entry: rhe·tor·i·cal
Pronunciation: ri-'tor-i-k&l, -'tär-
Variant(s): also rhe·tor·ic /ri-'tor-ik, -'tär-/
Function: adjective
1 a : of, relating to, or concerned with rhetoric b : employed for rhetorical effect; especially : asked merely for effect with no answer expected <a rhetorical question>
2 a : given to rhetoric : GRANDILOQUENT b : VERBAL
- rhe·tor·i·cal·ly /-i-k(&-)lE/ adverb

Steve

"Rambling thoughts in my head about the chase"

And I had rambling answers.... and I also didn't keep them in my head. ;)

pchall
09-15-04, 10:08 AM

http://members.aol.com/Polecattt/gang10.jpg

Racer X is already in the series. You just don't recognize his mild-mannered alter ego -- Tony Stewart.

For more details, go here (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5624).

Still pimpin' the clicks. :p

Madmaxfan2
09-15-04, 10:26 AM
The unbalanced thing about this schedule is no road courses in that group of ten, only two 1.5 cookie cutter 1.5 mile ovals, two 1 mile flat ovals ( over representaion here compared to rest of schedule), two high banked 1 mile ovals(another overrepresentation) , tightest track on the circuit, and only one superspeedway restrechter plate track. This type of schedule will automatically eliminate certain types of drivers from ever contending for the Nextel Cup. Little E will certainly be never be favored with only Talledega on the last ten races playing to DEI strengths.

bdogg187
09-16-04, 12:52 AM

The Kool-aid drinkers are absolutely ectstatic, I cant believe how many times I have heard, "I used to hate the chase, but....." But alot of the older fans still hate it.

I still hate it. Points racing is not exciting, its retarded, kinda like IRL in Chicago.

Brickman
09-19-04, 07:16 PM
Positions/Position Movement/Driver/Points/Points behind Leader

1 +2 Dale Earnhardt Jr. 5210 Leader

2 +5 Kurt Busch 5210 Leader

3 -2 Jeff Gordon 5201 -9

4 +1 Matt Kenseth 5200 -10

5 -3 Jimmie Johnson 5180 -30

6 -- Elliott Sadler 5172 -38

7 +1 Mark Martin 5139 -71

8 -4 Tony Stewart 5086 -124 (Robby Crashing Biffle)

9 +1 Ryan Newman 5074 -136 (engine)

10 -1 Jeremy Mayfield 5068 -142 (Robby Crashing Biffle)

B3RACER1a
09-19-04, 07:34 PM
When 11th-43rd are out there, this will always be a joke. R. Gordon crashing 2 guys out shows that.

Playoff's means that only the elite teams have a chance to win, and THE NON-ELITE TEAMS AERNT THERE.