PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me....... (spoilers)

Rogue Leader
09-12-04, 11:11 PM
.... or was that the worst coverage all year? I mean, it started out good, in fact I was thinking wow stuffs going so smooth; this could be the best all year. They had nic enew features, good use of the pic in pic, the car shape in the driver name logo, etc. It took a while for the first commercial to show up.... that wasn't to bad.... but then the WTFs happened...

- WTF happened to Gaston Mazzacane?

- WTF Was the Caution on Lap 54?

- WTF really happened to dinger, there HAD to have been a better angle!?

Ok the last one we can excuse because maybe the cameras missed it. But they show a shot of Mazzacane getting craned up and they don't even acknowledge it, then they return from caution, go to commercial, come back under caution, NO explanation whatsoever WTF happened....

That was a crap broadcast.

nrc
09-12-04, 11:24 PM
That was a crap broadcast.

Yep. Or most importantly, WTF happened between Bourdais and Tracy. That may have been the most important action of the day and it happened right at the front. Unfortunately the director or the camera crew don't seem to have any clue how to anticipate action and catch it.

PopOffValve
09-12-04, 11:25 PM
That really was bad. I usually give CART coverage a lot of leeway (sp?), but this was nearly unwatchable. I remember at one point thinking, "if they could just follow who/whatever Tommy Kendall is talking about at the moment..."

JoeBob
09-12-04, 11:26 PM
I wonder how much of it just comes down to "Not enough cameras."

Methanolandbrats
09-12-04, 11:26 PM
Horrible. I fell asleep faster than I do during a Cab Race. It was beyond horrible. Compared to the incredible F1 Race this morning it was just absolute ****.

RaceGrrl
09-12-04, 11:28 PM
Ok... piling on...

WTF happened to the start? Raggedy, raggedy, raggedy.

WTF happened to Phillipe. Ok, he's not much of a racer, but that looked like a strange off, and I'd liked to have seen it.

WTF happened between Jourdain and Tagliani.

Enquiring minds want to know.

The broadcast could have been better, but this race is always interesting to me because the corkscrew is so amazing. I'd hate to see CCWS lose this track. I hope that doesn't happen.

PopOffValve
09-12-04, 11:33 PM
WTF happened to the start? Raggedy, raggedy, raggedy.

The broadcast could have been better, but this race is always interesting to me because the corkscrew is so amazing. I'd hate to see CCWS lose this track. I hope that doesn't happen.

That reminds me... just started a thread about the start ;)

Laguna Seca has two things going for it: 1. the corkscrew and 2. it's the closest track to where I live. That corkscrew is soooo important to CART's heritage, but damn they better do something to get more people there.

FRANKY
09-12-04, 11:38 PM
I wonder how much of it just comes down to "Not enough cameras."

That's about it.

Dr. Corkski
09-12-04, 11:44 PM
Just got back from the track, here is what I know though I didn't see much of the broadcast:

Bourdais supposedly slowed up (the words brake test were being tossed around) and got clipped by Tracy. Bourdais gets a flat and pits right away while Tracy kept going for awhile befor ethe tire went down. Later on a restart Tracy actually passed Bourdais at T11 before start/finish. Tracy still had to pit anyway, so I don't think Bourdais was going to fight too hard with Tracy already in his usual idiot mode.

The start was a joke. Only the front row had lined up side by side and after that it was single file. Even the 17th place car had passed start/finish before Gonzalez got thru T11.

Apparantly Wilson got T-boned by Slodolfo. Not sure with Jourdain/Tag but IIRC Tag had a flat right rear and Jourdain had flat left front.

On the T&S it showed that Mazzacane had no P2P early in the race. So I asked one of the crewmen on his team and I could not stop laughing at the answer he gave. :rofl:

The stands were pretty empty but most smart racefans would not pay to sit up there anyway. They probably have the worst views of the track.

Drifting blows.

RaceGrrl
09-13-04, 12:52 AM
That corkscrew is soooo important to CART's heritage, but damn they better do something to get more people there.

Add two more to the numbers for next year. nrc and I hope to make it out there next year.

FCYTravis
09-13-04, 01:43 AM
From what Turn Two saw... Philippe just made a textbook Dumbass Fabio Move (tm) and went flying into the turn at full-tilt-boogie despite the full-course-yellow situation. When he realized that there were a bunch of cars stacked up in front of him, he decided that destroying his own car was preferable to slamming into the back of someone else.

So, Fabio went flying through the gravel and into the tires with all four wheels locked up and smoking.

JohnHKart
09-13-04, 06:18 AM
I agree it was pretty bad. What really got me was the way they screwed up the first corner of the first lap. The front two cars Bourdais and Carpentier were already way into the Andretti hairpin before the camera got on them. The normal Lingner way of doing it is to show the field coming down into that corner. Instead what we got was the field streaming past a stationary camera near the start/f line, then they just cut to the already at the apex front runners. Definitely a screw up. They blew it big time on that shot.

John

4wheeldrifter
09-13-04, 08:06 AM
Horrible. I fell asleep faster than I do during a Cab Race. It was beyond horrible. Compared to the incredible F1 Race this morning it was just absolute ****.

I have to admit, I actually left to do some kitchen remodelling. Just didn't make it for me today. Let's hope next race is better.

And yeah, I kept waiting to see the Tracy/Bordais incident.... to no avail.

cart7
09-13-04, 08:18 AM
I also was working on something and watching the race at the same time. It was very difficult to follow. Also, they better do something about attendance or that'll be the next track on the chopping block.

Sean O'Gorman
09-13-04, 09:36 AM
Drifting blows.

Word. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Now if only Vasser had hit a drifting fan instead of an animal...

Insomniac
09-13-04, 09:43 AM
I don't get it. Don't they record what every camera is showing at all times? I can understand the director missing it when switching cameras, but please don't tell me they can't record every camera and play back the incidents.

Madmaxfan2
09-13-04, 12:50 PM
The cancer in my face has caused the swelling in my face to be so bad my eyes are half shut to begin with. However, with that said, I gave up on the Spike broadcast. The necessary cost cutting measures insituted by OWRS has resulted in the lack of TV cameras on the courses, and it is very evident in the quality of the coverage. I cannot suggust anything beyond the obivouis here, so I won't. Congrts. to Patrick and stay in Champ Car.

FTG
09-13-04, 09:16 PM
I'll give them a break this year, but they better invest in a few more cameras next year.