PDA

View Full Version : Argentina News

SurfaceUnits
09-12-04, 10:04 PM
"Buenos Aires close to host F-CART [sic] in 2005

by Luiz Rodriguez

The rumours that Formula CART will have a race next season in Buenos Aires, Argentina, are getting stronger. The race would be take place at the Autódromo Oscar Gálvez, which has not held a major event since 1998, when it hosted a Formula 1 race.

Local officials, including Buenos Aires Sports Secretary, Jorge Rappaport, attended the recent [Champ Cars] race in Denver and are negotiating with Champ Car concerning a race in March, likely opening the 2005 season.

If on one hand Buenos Aires wants Formula CART as a way of recovering its international appeal, the attraction is reciprocal - since the series has plans for a return to South America.

One of the still pending issues are the costs of organizing a single event in the continent, and an agreement regarding an event in Brazil would be fundamental to reduce such costs."

nrc
09-13-04, 01:13 AM
I'm brimming with enthusiasm. I'm all aquiver at the prospect of replacing American natureal terrain road courses with South American events.

I suppose if this is the price of survival we'll just have to pay and hope for a better future.

RTKar
09-13-04, 06:55 AM
I'm brimming with enthusiasm. I'm all aquiver at the prospect of replacing American natureal terrain road courses with South American events.

I suppose if this is the price of survival we'll just have to pay and hope for a better future.

It may provide some insurance for financial survivability but what will it do to enhance our domestic fan base?

cart7
09-13-04, 07:50 AM
It may provide some insurance for financial survivability but what will it do to enhance our domestic fan base?

All 10,000 Argentinians living in this country are sure to tune in. Well, at least all of them that can get Spike. ;)

FRANKY
09-13-04, 11:06 AM

Nothing.

NAFTA or stay home.

SurfaceUnits
09-13-04, 09:57 PM
1) There will never be growth in the DFB as long as the Series is struggling

2) If you watch 90% of the races on TV, what would you rather see, Sparta KY or Argentina

3) earl's fanbase is really growing with their broadcasts from South Joliet Illinois and Homestead FLA

QYB :shakehead

TravelGal
09-14-04, 01:38 AM
From what we heard around the paddocks this weekend, I suggest we all make sure our passports are tuned up and ready to use. Don't have one? Applications online or at many local post offices. Right under your picture. Heheheheheh. OK, I'm going to bed now with visions of race cars dancing in my head.

RTKar
09-14-04, 07:07 AM
From what we heard around the paddocks this weekend, I suggest we all make sure our passports are tuned up and ready to use. Don't have one? Applications online or at many local post offices. Right under your picture. Heheheheheh. OK, I'm going to bed now with visions of race cars dancing in my head.

It won't help TV ratings at all, nor help rebuild a domestic fan base and that's how you attract sponsors. If I fly anywhere overseas, it'll be for F1.

JT265
09-14-04, 07:40 AM
1) There will never be growth in the DFB as long as the Series is struggling

2) If you watch 90% of the races on TV, what would you rather see, Sparta KY or Argentina

3) earl's fanbase is really growing with their broadcasts from South Joliet Illinois and Homestead FLA

QYB :shakehead

Agreed. The domestic "fan" tuned into Nascar years ago. My biggest concern is the go-kart nature of the track they want to run.

And they are gonna have to chase sponsors that are worldwide, turning their backs on the domestic folks, like Rachels Taties and the bailbond place.

RTKar
09-14-04, 08:27 AM
Agreed. The domestic "fan" tuned into Nascar years ago. My biggest concern is the go-kart nature of the track they want to run.

And they are gonna have to chase sponsors that are worldwide, turning their backs on the domestic folks, like Rachels Taties and the bailbond place.

I understand what you guys are saying but you make the assumption that what were "CART" fans became NASCAR fans, I tend to see former CART fans just giving up and not following any series. We'll always be a niche series so we should seek quality demographics which I think we used to have. I'd like to try to get them back. I think there are more choices than Sparta vs Argentina...RA, MO, strengthen Laguna, and other natural terrain courses along with raceable street circuits. I'm not against some overseas races. I just don't want it to become a panacea. With an improvement in TV ratings I would think sponsors beyond the likes of Rachels chips and Chico's Bail Bonds would follow.

Sean O'Gorman
09-14-04, 10:50 AM
There isn't anything I need to say that RTKar hasn't already covered. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Also, agree with him or not, these are the kinds of threads where Spicoli was most insightful, IMO.

pchall
09-14-04, 11:12 AM
I see no problem with starting the season in what is late northern hemisphere winter by doing a two race SA tour. A couple of races -- BA and Rio? -- and some hype and the fans will be really ready for LB and Fundidora Park and the beginning of the NAFTA season. Bring it on.

Methanolandbrats
09-14-04, 12:53 PM
1) Champcar should solve their horrible TV coverage problem first.
2) They must find a way to run RA and every other road course in NA where it's possible.
3) Get some more cars on the grid.

If they get those things done..........then worry about f'n Argentina.

jonovision_man
09-14-04, 01:57 PM
They have a schedule to fill, and if Argentina is willing to stump up the money for a race that's way better than renting a track in the US, or taking a loss on a promotion that won't put up the sanctioning fee.

Besides, Champcars have always had a strong South American following, and the continent is pretty starved for racing, the one F1 race doesn't satisfy the appetite! :)

jono

Ankf00
09-14-04, 01:58 PM
if argentina makes $$$ for CCWS, then good

if it brings in an argentine team sponsor, then better.

FTG
09-14-04, 02:28 PM
Where do you think the money for better TV coverage is going to come from?

Everyone who says, "Argentina" gets a :)

jonovision_man
09-14-04, 02:30 PM
Where do you think the money for better TV coverage is going to come from?

Everyone who says, "Argentina" gets a :)

Isn't the point of TV to bring events from all over the place into your living room? :)

jono

RTKar
09-14-04, 07:19 PM
Isn't the point of TV to bring events from all over the place into your living room? :)

jono

What I see now is a "rock and a hard place" situation. In the short term any paying race course overseas seems to be a sound idea financially (at least for the investors). What I wonder about is probably more a long term issue, the development of fans in North America which eventually translates into primetime live TV broadcasts. I think a certain amount of ratings growth is needed before real paying sponsors will fund a car or portion of a car. Tape delays or live broadcasts during non prime viewing hours won't garner the ratings needed for the series to grow, so I think we'll be caught in a cycle of relying on those races to semi fund the series. At the same time the casual North American "observer" most likely won't be exposed to the series, won't attend a live race and subsequently won't follow the series on TV.

BNica
09-16-04, 05:17 PM
If the series gets a bundle of money to go run there, and freight costs are paid, I say fine. It is a fly-away race in the Continent and that is enough for me. Plus, if Mickey D's and AOL (hopefully) can kick up some promotions, some of the sponsors would be happy to be there as well.

I am glad they are considering BA, they were oriiginally considering doing it in the province of Salta, which is in the boondocks.

Its amazing, you still find plenty of people who like Champ Car in Argentina, despite the fact that they do not get the races broadcasts there. There are many very sophisticated race fans there, who would attend the racing. Plus Buenos Aires is starved for a big event like this, and I think it would be a good success.