PDA

View Full Version : Another IRL Car goes Airborne!

Chitowncartfreak
09-12-04, 04:03 PM
Rice and Manning (ironically, same cars from Texas last year) touched wheels, Rice got sideways, some air got under the car, and Rice went airborne. Very scary, but thankfully, everyone is ok.

DaveL
09-12-04, 04:30 PM
I surfed over for a few seconds during the football games. They are playing Russian Roulette on those tracks. Rice is a half inch away from being alive.

Brickman
09-12-04, 04:37 PM
Yep.

Momentum races with side pods that act as sails.

Winston Wolfe
09-12-04, 05:30 PM
I surfed over for a few seconds during the football games. They are playing Russian Roulette on those tracks. Rice is a half inch away from being alive.

EXACTLY what I was thinking.

Saw his car hit the wall less than one foot from the catch fencing. Watch the replay, and see that his left rear BARELY makes the top of the wall, and if it was slightly higher, he may have had one of those "wheel, spolier, engine, and everything else" crashes that tears the car apart and it goes spinning all over the track....

Lucky Buddy today.... Those guys are playing russian roulette out there, and the amount of wheel banging that goes on is just plain scary. "Bald" Page, and Scott "Master of restating the obvious"year get SOOOO excited when two or more cars are banging wheels out there.... This thing is wrong, so friggin wrong that it has almost become a signature of the series: Wheel to Wheel Bangin' Action, and "Closest Finishes in History"!!!!

That's what happens when the drivers are flat footed all the way around every track they race on..... :rolleyes:

TKGAngel
09-12-04, 06:57 PM
EXACTLY what I was thinking.

Saw his car hit the wall less than one foot from the catch fencing. Watch the replay, and see that his left rear BARELY makes the top of the wall, and if it was slightly higher, he may have had one of those "wheel, spolier, engine, and everything else" crashes that tears the car apart and it goes spinning all over the track....

Lucky Buddy today.... Those guys are playing russian roulette out there, and the amount of wheel banging that goes on is just plain scary. "Bald" Page, and Scott "Master of restating the obvious"year get SOOOO excited when two or more cars are banging wheels out there.... This thing is wrong, so friggin wrong that it has almost become a signature of the series: Wheel to Wheel Bangin' Action, and "Closest Finishes in History"!!!!

That's what happens when the drivers are flat footed all the way around every track they race on..... :rolleyes:

During the super-slo mo replay of the crash, (which PP and SG were so pleased that they had) SG mentioned that the roll bar of Buddy's car collapsed, meaning pretty much his head was skidding along the track. Shouldn't the roll bar have stayed sound, as isn't it designed to keep the driver's head off the track, if the car ever gets into this situation? I suppose the only good thing about the wreck was that the safety team got there right away to him.

Amazing that Buddy wasn't hurt, but I'll bet he needs a clean pair of drawers after that one.

B3RACER1a
09-12-04, 11:34 PM
That was big. If you watch the incar of Manning, you'll see he is extremely fortunate his car didnt blow over either. You can clearly see both front tires leaving the track.

FRANKY
09-12-04, 11:36 PM
During the super-slo mo replay of the crash, (which PP and SG were so pleased that they had) SG mentioned that the roll bar of Buddy's car collapsed, meaning pretty much his head was skidding along the track. Shouldn't the roll bar have stayed sound, as isn't it designed to keep the driver's head off the track, if the car ever gets into this situation? I suppose the only good thing about the wreck was that the safety team got there right away to him.

Amazing that Buddy wasn't hurt, but I'll bet he needs a clean pair of drawers after that one.

I think you didn't hear him right, (or I didn't) it was sound. I didn't think his helmet had that skidded look.

Rogue Leader
09-12-04, 11:48 PM
any pics or video of it, that anyone knows of???

Clown
09-13-04, 12:44 AM
http://209.43.92.201/brickyard/imsproductions/webvideo/091204chicago-big.wmv

Clown
09-13-04, 12:50 AM
Pic (http://community.vugames.com/WebX?233@148.I7Ycd9NmM0m.31775794@.1dd82897/14!enclosure=.1dd828a7)

Rogue Leader
09-13-04, 12:57 AM
Holy god that was terrifying! they hire Renny Harlin and the guys from "Driven" to set up those wrecks?!?!

oddlycalm
09-13-04, 02:47 AM

Thanks for the link, but I dozed off before I got to the incident. Watching the EARL always has the same effect, within a couple minutes I either fall asleep or feel like I want to go out and wash the car... even if it's raining. :thumdown:

oc

Kiwifan
09-13-04, 04:29 AM
Bloody hell that was close! :(

Rusty.

jonovision_man
09-13-04, 08:06 AM
Did you see how fast the safety team was on it? The car was still sliding... pretty impressive.

Still, scarey crash, those cars look like kleenex in the wind when they get off the ground.

jono

Turn7
09-13-04, 09:16 AM
The IRL teams need to capitalize on this phenomenon.

Can you imagine the price a team could charge to have a corporation sponsor the undertray. As the car goes airborne and upside down a big glaring sponsor logo should be present. It is for sure to get maximum exposure as the inevitable accident gets played over and over again on super slow mo three to five times.

I am sure pretender can provide some Orange Julius reports to assign a TV time value for that.

cart7
09-13-04, 10:11 AM
Did you see how fast the safety team was on it? The car was still sliding... pretty impressive.

Still, scarey crash, those cars look like kleenex in the wind when they get off the ground.

jono

It appears the car wound up sliding right where the safety car was making it's entrance onto the track.

Wheel-Nut
09-13-04, 10:19 AM
The IRL teams need to capitalize on this phenomenon.

Can you imagine the price a team could charge to have a corporation sponsor the undertray. As the car goes airborne and upside down a big glaring sponsor logo should be present. It is for sure to get maximum exposure as the inevitable accident gets played over and over again on super slow mo three to five times.

I am sure pretender can provide some Orange Julius reports to assign a TV time value for that.

And we all laughed when the Foyt team was painting the undertrays. Perhaps A.J. (marketing genius) was on to something!

Chiphead_Dave
09-13-04, 11:28 AM
Open wheel cars running like that is just asking for a death.

JLMannin
09-13-04, 12:20 PM

The determination on whether he was hurt or not cannot be made for two more days. The IRL has an established tradition of delayed injury reporting.

The typical deal starts out as "he really got his bell rung" to "a mild concussion" to "hairline fractures of the cervical vertebrea".

Stay tuned. :shakehead :rolleyes:

Madmaxfan2
09-13-04, 12:57 PM
The EARL might succeed because no one apreciates what real racing involves, real brain power even towatch.

Hard Driver
09-13-04, 03:27 PM

That's as much IRL racing as I can stand. That racing is just wrong. It is obvious that they are flat out and have huge downforce, so they are not at the limits of the tires or the drivers, just the limits of the aero drag vs power. If the drivers had to lift, then they would not be able to run side by side in a pack like that, because some would be able to go faster than others and some lines would be faster than others. But if all the cars are just foot to the floor, then the lines through the corner don't really matter as much I guess.

Looks too dangerous and like it doesn't really seem to reward the most skilled driver either.

Brickman
09-13-04, 04:44 PM
Looks too dangerous and like it doesn't really seem to reward the most skilled driver either.

Yep. No skill just heel.

Racewriter
09-13-04, 05:18 PM
I didn't see it, but you guys must be lying. The IRL says that the safety features worked perfectly, and the car didn't get airborne.

http://www.indyracing.com/indycar/news/story.php?story_id=3541

RichK
09-13-04, 05:30 PM
I didn't see it, but you guys must be lying. The IRL says that the safety features worked perfectly, and the car didn't get airborne.

http://www.indyracing.com/indycar/news/story.php?story_id=3541

Oh. My. God.

That's the most BS thing they could have written!

"Fins and skid plate prevent Rice's car from going airborne"

"Rice’s car remained intact and on the race surface after it flipped,"

WTF?

RTKar
09-13-04, 06:32 PM
Some folks I work with knew I was at a race this weekend ( USAC Sprints & Midgets Friday night at Joliet), some of them asked me, "Were you at that race where that car flew through the air? I saw it on the news"...... I just smiled and said No. One guy said, "It took off like an airplane" :rofl:

Brickman
09-13-04, 06:41 PM
"A quarter-inch vertical spine -- designed to keep a spinning car from lifting off the track – is in place at all tracks. A curved skid plate is being used at all tracks longer than one-mile, while a quarter-inch reverse wicker will be used at the final two races of the season."

Designed for no "lifting" but the car was "flipped" and we all know flipping isn't the same has liftiing. :rolleyes: What they didn't blame the other cars nose? :shakehead

RTKar
09-13-04, 07:02 PM
"A quarter-inch vertical spine -- designed to keep a spinning car from lifting off the track – is in place at all tracks. A curved skid plate is being used at all tracks longer than one-mile, while a quarter-inch reverse wicker will be used at the final two races of the season."

Designed for no "lifting" but the car was "flipped" and we all know flipping isn't the same has liftiing. :rolleyes: What they didn't blame the other cars nose? :shakehead

Yea, you would think a raised nose ala F1 would be safer considering the other problems the chassis has. What they have now is like a spatula. For the sake of the drivers and fans, I hope they go back to the drawing board and redesign the whole thing.

Chitowncartfreak
09-13-04, 08:50 PM
Oh. My. God.

That's the most BS thing they could have written!

"Fins and skid plate prevent Rice's car from going airborne"

"Rice’s car remained intact and on the race surface after it flipped,"

WTF?

I'm not an aerodynamic engineer and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but when a car gets all 4 wheels off the ground, isn't that considered to be airborne?

This may be the most revolting press release this joke of a racing series has ever put out. Un-freaking believable.

FTG
09-13-04, 09:05 PM
Call me crazy, but I think that last year that car would've cleared the fence no problem.

lone_groover
09-13-04, 09:15 PM
Call me crazy, but I think that last year that car would've cleared the fence no problem.

I think turbulent air, more than any design improvement, kept Buddy Boy from clearing the uprightz.

:p

Jervis Tetch 1
09-13-04, 11:10 PM
Unfortunately the madness won't end until someone gets killed. And even then I doubt that.

FTG and a big FU to Brian Barnyard and everyone else associated with that series especially Durwood Manning who says everybody is an idiot that doesn't believe that's the best racing in the world.

Clown
09-13-04, 11:49 PM
Unfortunately the madness won't end until someone gets killed. And even then I doubt that.Tony Renna. It hasn't :(

Jervis Tetch 1
09-14-04, 12:17 AM
I stand corrected.