PDA

View Full Version : "I dont know how this gearbox is going to survive a road course"

Winston Wolfe
09-12-04, 03:17 PM
QUOTETH : Dario during his typical scorned face \ furrowed mono-brow pit row interview... :rolleyes:

Also heard "It's not the strongest part of the car" :shakehead

Finally: "Then the car would fall back in the pack with all of the other idiots back there banging wheels"..... :eek:

Yeah, he is a proud supporter of the "Vision" and again, we dont need his kind back in the real racing, real sport series.... He can just stay where he is and continue to gripe about every little thing....

DaveL
09-12-04, 09:47 PM
Maybe Brian Brainfart and the rest of the crew can come up with a wing package that produces so much downforce that they can floor it and steer on the road courses too. Then they won't have to worry about changing gears.

indyfan31
09-13-04, 12:46 AM
They should take a page from the minibike engineering book. One speed, centrifugal clutch and a governor. Technology befitting the league.

cart7
09-13-04, 07:43 AM
Dozed off before the race was even half over though I did catch this one.

PP or SG about 20 or 30 laps in - Dario seems to have fallen off the pace, I wonder if he's having problems.

Pit reporter - No, telemetry indicates Dario has had his foot to the floor since the start of the race, there seems to be no indication of a problem.

:rolleyes:

4wheeldrifter
09-13-04, 09:56 AM
Dozed off before the race was even half over though I did catch this one.

PP or SG about 20 or 30 laps in - Dario seems to have fallen off the pace, I wonder if he's having problems.

Pit reporter - No, telemetry indicates Dario has had his foot to the floor since the start of the race, there seems to be no indication of a problem.

:rolleyes:

Racin' just dudn't git no better then that thar feets to floor stuff....

I think the Earl powers that be just cannot wait until the first road race. The jump in TV ratings from the people tuning in for the hillarity should make everyone involved happy.

pchall
09-13-04, 10:49 AM
I finally FFWD'd through part of the tape during a sleepless middle of the night: it did help bore me back to sleep.

Two things of note.

In car video and audio made it very clearly that the cars were "flat out" all the way around the track, bumping into some kind of aerodynamic and rev-limit wall that made any real racing impossible. That was no more than formation flying in two dimensions instead of three. (Well, Rice did go three dimensional for a time.)

That wheel banging is going to bring about something awful one day, and even another impassioned rant by Brian Brainfart won't prevent it. The IRL only gave out token penalties for last weeks pit follies and it will take a lot more than that to stop that potentially deadly dicing.

FRANKY
09-13-04, 11:12 AM
I finally FFWD'd through part of the tape during a sleepless middle of the night: it did help bore me back to sleep.

Two things of note.

In car video and audio made it very clearly that the cars were "flat out" all the way around the track, bumping into some kind of aerodynamic and rev-limit wall that made any real racing impossible. That was no more than formation flying in two dimensions instead of three. (Well, Rice did go three dimensional for a time.)

That wheel banging is going to bring about something awful one day, and even another impassioned rant by Brian Brainfart won't prevent it. The IRL only gave out token penalties for last weeks pit follies and it will take a lot more than that to stop that potentially deadly dicing.

Get rid of the BS downforce and you get rid of the bumping.

CART T. Katz
09-13-04, 01:44 PM
i am seriously waiting for "the big one" in that series.

although gruesome, that will DEFINITELY get people's attention that something is seriously wrong here.

racer2c
09-13-04, 02:04 PM
Where's Brickman to remind us all how great and proactive IRL safety is and how that body length wicker has solved the problem. :rolleyes:

A 12" high body wicker wouldn't have stopped Rice's barrel roll.

Brickman
09-13-04, 04:42 PM
Where's Brickman to remind us all how great and proactive IRL safety is and how that body length wicker has solved the problem. :rolleyes:

A 12" high body wicker wouldn't have stopped Rice's barrel roll.

I love people telling me what I think, especially when they are wrong.

After http://us.share.geocities.com/mozzanbacken/03_Indy500_Dan_Wheldon_Crash.mpg

I asked within a week (http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34548) what was going on.

The answer is that the specs for the series are flawed. They need to go back to the drawing board and completely redesign the cars and put the driver back in the car, eliminate "momentum racing" tear off the damn wings, etc etc

Although I doubt anyone here will remind me that even 3500 lb stock cars take flight (Elliott Sadler) even with wickers and aero solutions, I don't think open wheel can afford to have a car in the stands. The 3.0 and wickers were band-aids, IF they were smart they would ask Lola, and the existing manufacturers to come up with recommended specs. Hopefully not so ugly next time.

racer2c
09-13-04, 09:03 PM
I love people telling me what I think, especially when they are wrong.

After http://us.share.geocities.com/mozzanbacken/03_Indy500_Dan_Wheldon_Crash.mpg

I asked within a week (http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34548) what was going on.

The answer is that the specs for the series are flawed. They need to go back to the drawing board and completely redesign the cars and put the driver back in the car, eliminate "momentum racing" tear off the damn wings, etc etc

Oh, that wasn't you defending the body wicker here about five months ago? Must have been the 'other' Brickman. It's so hard to tell you two apart.

JT265
09-13-04, 10:57 PM
I thought this was another thread about Wheldon.

By the title you understand.

Brickman
09-13-04, 11:48 PM
Oh, that wasn't you defending the body wicker here about five months ago? Must have been the 'other' Brickman. It's so hard to tell you two apart.

Well... http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3510

Maybe you have blurred vision. How many thumbs am I holding up? :thumbup: ;)

pineapple
09-14-04, 11:35 AM
,,, IF they were smart they would ask Lola, and the existing manufacturers to come up with recommended specs. Hopefully not so ugly next time.

What's Lola got to do with the IRL?

Brickman
09-14-04, 11:45 AM

Obviously nothing... yet.

pchall
09-14-04, 11:46 AM

Just about as much as Reynard. But Adrian Reynad did try to clue the IRL in to the enormous safety problems in handling and aero their specifications were creating way back before the 1997 season.

Brickman
09-14-04, 12:00 PM
Just about as much as Reynard. But Adrian Reynad did try to clue the IRL in to the enormous safety problems in handling and aero their specifications were creating way back before the 1997 season.

That would be an interesting read.

pineapple
09-14-04, 12:09 PM

Must not have put too much stock in what Reynard had to say...obviously.

Brickman
09-14-04, 02:16 PM
Must not have put too much stock in what Reynard had to say...obviously.

Hopefully they didn't buy too much Reynard stock either. ;)

4wheeldrifter
09-15-04, 08:21 AM
You know, I always thought the barn door wing and 6 trillion pound downforce was a function of gomer drivers that had no business driving at speeds approaching 200mph, let alone over. Now that the league is full of ex-CART drivers presumably experienced in CART-type speedway racing, you'd think they could just jettison the few non-CART gomers left (IV, Wreckter) and ditch the current chassis design, moving back toward a proven design (ie. Champcar).

On second thought, how about Sheeite-canning the whole league and doing us all a favor.

FTG
09-15-04, 08:44 AM
The cars are speced so they can run on high banked ovals like Texas. Remove the barn door and drivers start blacking out.

Of course, if they replace the high banked ovals with the road races, then the transformation back to CART would be almost complete.