PDA

View Full Version : Further Proof . . .

Napoleon
02-17-03, 10:20 AM
That Honda was less then truthful about when they determined they would have an IRL program.

http://espn.go.com/rpm/2003/0212/1507878.html

mapguy
02-17-03, 10:38 AM
The smoking gun....

Good catch Nap.:thumbup:

Ed_Severson
02-17-03, 11:05 AM
:saywhat:

What, exactly, does this prove?

They announced in May. Do you really think they were going to hold a press conference to announce their involvement without testing the waters with a few teams first?

Jesus, guys. Give it a rest.

JT265
02-17-03, 09:39 PM
What's even scarier to mme is Danica saying that she would like to get into "either" major series next year. That is the 1st she has expressed a desire to do anything but ChampCars.

Course, she'd be the odds on fav as fastest female over there.:p

pchall
02-17-03, 10:11 PM
"There were some differences involving Honda in the past, but they approached us at the Long Beach Grand Prix last April about running an IRL team this year, and we felt we owed it to our sponsors to put as good a team together as we could,'' Rahal said.

That is just to save everbody some time.

mnkywrch
02-17-03, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by JT265
Course, she'd be the odds on fav as fastest female over there.:p

Not just the fastest, but the femalest. :D

nrc
02-18-03, 08:01 PM
http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/rpm/2003/0212/photo/a_danica_i.jpg

That is just to save everybody some time. :D

If Danica shows promise in Atlanic this year Ford and Pook would be nuts not to match anything Honda and Tony offer.

nrc
02-18-03, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Ed_Severson
They announced in May. Do you really think they were going to hold a press conference to announce their involvement without testing the waters with a few teams first?

Yes, that would make sense. And yet the team owners and Honda claimed in May that Honda's announcement was a complete surprise.

From the Honda IRL announcement press conference (http://www.racingwest.com/news/story.php3/3950/):
Q: Chris Economaki, National Speed Sport News. Do you have any teams allowed to use this engine, one? Two, does this preclude Ilmor from doing work for other suppliers? Three, is this a precursor for a race at Motegi?

CLARKE: First question, no, the teams, that is a process that will begin this afternoon. Paul Ray with Ilmor, of course, Ilmor currently involved in the series is going to help me and take me around and begin the process of introductions and talks, and hopefully soon we'll be able to identify some teams that we can align ourselves with. I'm sorry, the second part of your question?
Q: Robert, with a lot of our undercurrent going on about possible other major teams going the way of Roger Penske and coming over here from CART, as you worked through this, have you had any sort of behind-the-scenes commitment from any major teams in CART that if you go and do this, we want to come and make a deal with you? Is there any that maybe they're not announcing it yet but that -- is there movement there somewhere?

CLARKE: No, not really. We've tried to keep this whole program very secret. It seems as though we've done a fairly good job in keeping it secret. There's been a lot of speculation, I believe, but no one was able to really connect all the dots. But, no, because of that we have not been free to go out and discuss with our current CART teams or any other CART team.

There was a clear effort by Honda to keep this announcement secret in order to maximize it's impact on CART. Honda teams have claimed that this announcement was as much a surprise to them as anyone. There is no way that Honda talked to Rahal in April and didn't talk to their actual team owners.

This suggests that the team owners deliberately maintained their silence and in effect conspired with Honda to blindside CART with this announcement.

Don Quixote
02-18-03, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by nrc
This suggests that the team owners deliberately maintained their silence and in effect conspired with Honda to blindside CART with this announcement.
Where's that angry graemlin, oh yes :mad: :mad: :mad: . How many of these turncoat owners involved in this were on one board or the other? Is the answer "all of them"? What fiduciary responsibility did they have to the corporation and its stockholders? Just asking.

racermike
02-18-03, 10:01 PM
Just like everything else, the lemmings would take back every bad thing they have ever said about Danica, and dump Sarah like a hot brick, IF Honda bought her out to go EARLING.

mnkywrch
02-18-03, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by racermike
Just like everything else, the lemmings would take back every bad thing they have ever said about Danica, and dump Sarah like a hot brick, IF Honda bought her out to go EARLING.

What bad things have IRL fans said about her?

I'd love to see her in an IRL car. I'd love to see her in a few other things than a car, though... wait, this isn't the Community Board...

But that's OK for me - for most of the rest of you who are old enough to be her father - or grandfather, you're just weird. ;) :p :rolleyes:

lone_groover
02-18-03, 10:23 PM
Please, let's keep this one on-topic and not turn it into a Sarah vs. Danica thread. They're both young American race drivers after all, with many things in common.

For instance, Danica's graceful arms, waist and calves, all have a nice taper....and Sarah is a nice Tapir. :)

pchall
02-18-03, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by lone_groover

For instance, Danica's graceful arms, waist and calves, all have a nice taper....and Sarah is a nice Tapir. :)

No wonder the lemmings want her tenderloins.

rabbit
02-18-03, 11:33 PM
That is just wrong.:o :rofl: :p

Warlock!
02-19-03, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by nrc
If Danica shows promise in Atlanic this year Ford and Pook would be nuts not to match anything Honda and Tony offer.
Please, Mr. Pook... make sure she shows a lot of promise before plucking her out of an Atlantics ride and thrusting her into an undeserved spotlight like that other series has done to their little girl. Just cause she's kinda cute doesn't mean she belongs in champcars.

Winter Warlock!

chop456
02-19-03, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Warlock!
Just cause she's kinda cute doesn't mean she belongs in champcars.

Winter Warlock!

Exactly. Look what happened with Christian. :D

KobySon
02-19-03, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by chop456
Exactly. Look what happened with Christian. :D

:rofl:

oddlycalm
02-20-03, 04:56 AM
Please, Mr. Pook... make sure she shows a lot of promise before plucking her out of an Atlantics ride and thrusting her into an undeserved spotlight like that other series has done to their little girl. Just cause she's kinda cute doesn't mean she belongs in champcars.

Danica was working at BMW's performance center before her gig with Rahal materialized. Some of the folks I know there have been pretty candid about the level of her abilities. From what I heard of her performance on Michelin's track, it appears she's got the ability. I agree it's not good to put her in the seat before she's ready, but she may not take long to be ready from what I'm told.

If she doesn't get hurt, and her ride doesn't disappear, I'm looking for her to be one of the serious contenders in a few years, and I mean regardless of gender. I'm convinced she's got the chops, now it remains to be seen if she has the necessary focus and force of will. I'd hate to see it all dead end in the Earl.

We've got a number of young drivers coming along that look to make the series well worth watching in the coming years, she's just one of several.

Napoleon
02-20-03, 07:08 AM
It occured to me that this story also supports the rumour that Mickey agreed in April of last year to buy Greens team with Honda money since it is the same time frame.

Of course we all know it wasn't the Honda money. :rolleyes:

nrc
02-20-03, 07:54 PM

I'd like to see her win some races before she moves up. But even if she just scores a few podiums she'll be more proven than some of this year's rookies.

mexican
02-23-03, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by lone_groover

:rofl: