PDA

View Full Version : Five Years Ago... Gonzalo "Gonchi" Rodriguez

BNica
09-11-04, 03:37 AM
Wow, this is already the fifth anniversary. I guess at the time I took this fairly hard, because I had been tracking his career, as well as JPM's in Europe for a while.

Five years ago, on September 11, 1999 promising young Uruguayan racer, Gonzalo Rodriguez lost his life at Laguna Seca.

Gonzalo, known as 'Gonchi' by his fans, had started out in the European F1 ladder system, winning championships in British and European Formula Renault. He then went on to British F3, where eh scored a win and several podiums, before switching teams and series due to finance issues.
It was truly in F3000 where he made his mark in a talented field that included the likes of fellow South American, Juan Pablo Montoya and Nick Heidfeld.
In his first real season, 1998 he placed third in the Championship, with wins at Spa and the Nurburgring, as well as several podiums.
In 1999 he followed that up by winning in Monaco, and was actually lying second in the points despite having missed the Magny Cours round.

It was these succeses that caught the eye of Roger Penske, who gave him a ride for the Vancouver Indy. In his CART debut he was 12th ahead of Little Al. Penske kept him on for Laguna Seca where he met his tragic end.

Uruguay is a nation that is known more for its world class Footbal (Soccer) stars than for its drivers, unlike next door Argentina. But Gonchi's skills and exploits, as well as his personality, endeared him to many fans in his country. He was known as being very personable, being well liked by fans and fellow drivers alike. Autosport described him as the type of guy who would kick back and have beers after the race, and whose style seemed suited to make him a star in the US.

His funeral was attended by tens of thousands of mourners in Uruguay, where he was given a hero's send-off by his countrymen. Today Uruguay has dedicated a stamp to him.

http://www.gonzalorodriguez.org/imagenes/picg_historia.jpg

Kiwifan
09-11-04, 04:27 AM
I remember, :cry: RIP.

Rusty.

Railbird
09-11-04, 08:26 AM
Thanks BNica

RIP Gonzalo

audi quattro
09-11-04, 09:42 AM
does anyone know is liverspots went to the funeral???

Gangrel
09-11-04, 09:47 AM
1999 was a tough year for us. The losses within such a short time span of Gonzolo and Greg were a bitter pill to swallow. Many of us saw what the future held for Greg. I wish the majority of us had the opportunity to see the same for Gnochi. RIP. :(

JT265
09-11-04, 10:08 AM
does anyone know is liverspots went to the funeral???

I believe that he did.

I do remember that FedEx upped a jet to fly Gonchi home on the Saturday evening.

JoeBob
09-11-04, 12:08 PM
A sad day indeed. :(

BNica
09-11-04, 03:17 PM
Here is his conmemorative stamp

http://www.correo.com.uy/filatelia/frames/images/200023S.jpg

RacinM3
09-12-04, 02:34 AM
I was on pit lane that day when the accident ocurred. The silence afterward was deafening. RIP. Just a month or so later I also had the misfortune of being present at the Greg Moore accident as well. Driving home from Fontana all I could think of was how glad I was that the season was over.

JohnHKart
09-13-04, 06:22 AM
I remember as well. It's a small world, I was working on cruise ships when this happened and I told a young Uruguyan girl about this and she said she knew someone who dated Gonzalo. I was pretty amazed to hear that. I can never see the corkscrew again without thinking about it. And I can still hear Paul Page's words and see the footage in my head crystal clear. I didn't find out about it until I put the tape in on my ship late on Monday night.

John

rabbit
09-13-04, 12:34 PM
A small correction, Gonchi's one race was Detroit, not Vancouver.

/was there

:(

formulaben
09-14-04, 03:35 AM
Has there ever been a definitive conclusion to the cause of the accident? I heard both a stuck throttle and a right foot that was pushing both the brake and throttle. Anyone? To this day, it is still one of the most bizarre accidents I have ever seen.

JohnHKart
09-14-04, 05:01 AM
I was pretty convinced by the report that later came out, no stuck throttle just driver error. But at the same time, what about the witnesses that swore the throttle stayed on all the way to the wall?

John

msvphoto
09-14-04, 04:44 PM
I witnessed the accident from the top of the corkscrew by the flagger's stand. It gave me nightmares for weeks after. My recollection is now fuzzy, but it sure looked like a stuck wide open throttle and braking to try and slow the car at the same time. How? Why? Who knows for sure. RIP Gonzalo.

formulaben
09-15-04, 03:14 AM
I witnessed the accident from the top of the corkscrew by the flagger's stand. It gave me nightmares for weeks after. My recollection is now fuzzy, but it sure looked like a stuck wide open throttle and braking to try and slow the car at the same time. How? Why? Who knows for sure. RIP Gonzalo.

I can only say what the video showed, and it sure sounded and looked like a car under braking with an open throttle. Why the hell didn't they have some tires in front of that wall? Didn't anyone learn from the Senna accident?