PDA

View Full Version : Question (Need advice)

Nosuchsoul
09-08-04, 03:47 PM
I just found out that my company (which needs managers) just hired some bloke who has less experience and less knowledge than me, two extra dollars an hour over me! What should I do? Go to the DM and plead my case, do you have any advice on how this works? My manager is worthless, so no fight for me on his end.

cart7
09-08-04, 04:18 PM
How do you know how much he's being paid and exactly how did you find out?

I'm sure those will be the first couple questions upper management will want to know.

racer2c
09-08-04, 04:21 PM
In my company, all company/employee transactions are confidential with the penalty of termination if discovered that employees are comparing roles/salaries.

Of course the reality is much different. There have been many co-workers come and go who 'we' thought came on at a higher rate. It happens. It sucks. Personally, I believe in the five year upper mobility plan. I never stay longer than five years at a company and I always make more with the next one I go to.

You can call their bluff and leave in hopes that they counter offer. You can actually leave. You can stay and show those who count that you are the better. It's a tough decision for a tough issue.

Turn7
09-08-04, 04:56 PM
Labor laws are not the same for salaried employees as they are for hourly waged employees. The company might tell an hourly worker that the company policy is to not share his wage with others but, I don't think they can do anything about it if they decide to share it. Something to do with Union busting tactics that companies did back in the day.

Research it first though. My info is not first hand knowledge.

racer2c
09-08-04, 05:02 PM
True Turn7, but we're all salaried, non union employees at my place o' biz. I read through some of our HR policies and couldn't find any specifics other than general topics about not discussing things, so there may be nothing they can do legally.

Robstar
09-08-04, 07:27 PM
You can call their bluff and leave in hopes that they counter offer.

That's what I'd do (& have done) but just make sure they like/need you, cause no one is indespensable...

Joe in LA
09-08-04, 07:37 PM
Labor laws in California--where nosuchsoul appears to be--make it illegal to take action against employees for comparing wages/salaries.

The real test is--what are you going to do if he says "tough"? If you can credibly say your going to walk (and willing to risk it), you might have some leverage.

Insomniac
09-08-04, 09:21 PM
Labor laws in California--where nosuchsoul appears to be--make it illegal to take action against employees for comparing wages/salaries.

The real test is--what are you going to do if he says "tough"? If you can credibly say your going to walk (and willing to risk it), you might have some leverage.

Doesn't this only work in the short term? They give you the raise begrudgingly while they search for your replacement?