PDA

View Full Version : Michael Waltrip

rabbit
02-16-03, 06:39 PM
Two-time Daytona 500 champion and one of the all-time greats.

DaveL
02-16-03, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by rabbit
Two-time Daytona 500 champion and one of the all-time greats.

I hope you're joking.

The real reason why he was crying "You don't know what Daytona means" is because until the first Dega race he has no chance in hell at a top five finish, much less winning. Daytona, to Michael, means the only track he has a prayer of winning at thanks to the car he has underneath him.

rabbit
02-16-03, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by DaveL
I hope you're joking. ;) :)

WickerBill
02-16-03, 06:44 PM
But Dave, he's won as many Daytona 500's as Dale Earnhardt and Mario Andretti COMBINED. How could you?

(sarcasm smiley)

DaveL
02-16-03, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by WickerBill
But Dave, he's won as many Daytona 500's as Dale Earnhardt and Mario Andretti COMBINED. How could you?

And he has twice as many Daytona 500 wins as AJ Foyt so I take it all back ;)

pchall
02-16-03, 06:58 PM
It speaks volumes that the Chevrolet Winning Moment was Waltrip the Lesser getting towed past the car ahead of him by his teammate.

DaveL
02-16-03, 07:05 PM
Even Derrick Cope won a race outside of Daytona. So until Waltrip does he will rank below Cope and at the bottom of the heap in terms of drivers who won the Daytona 500.

Ziggy
02-16-03, 07:47 PM
The weather played the most important role today. Will this guy ever get to celebrate a Daytona win without some curtain of doubt hanging over his head? He wne the first one out right, but then the fatal crash. Today just a rainout with plenty of miles left untraveled.

A second note

I found it really silly that during the rain delay they interviewed several drivers on what they thought of the rain. About the 6th or 7th guy they interviewed was Dale Jarret. Dale was the first guy to mention the fans! Thanks for getting it Dale, Im sure all the folks who pay much money to travel and attended would agree with your comments.

Ziggy

WickerBill
02-17-03, 06:18 PM
http://espn.go.com/rpm/wc/2003/0217/1510340.html

Hey, Mikey thinks he's gonna win the championship now!

aaaahahaha

Napoleon
02-17-03, 06:30 PM
I like what this local columnist, Bill Livingston, has to say about Waltrip

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/bill_livingston/index.ssf?/base/sports/10454841339070.xml

"Waltrip now has three wins in 535 career starts - two 500s and a Pepsi 400 - and all came here at Daytona.

It is the least-imposing record for the winner of something really stupendous since Andy North won three PGA Tour events in his career, but two were U.S. Opens. It recalls Ward Bond, er, Ward Burton, whose 500 win last year is about all that's worth talking about in a 5-for-286 career."

JoeBob
02-17-03, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by WickerBill
http://espn.go.com/rpm/wc/2003/0217/1510340.html

Hey, Mikey thinks he's gonna win the championship now!

aaaahahaha

Somebody hide this article from Mario Dominguez.

RacinM3
02-17-03, 09:03 PM
Look, I'm not a NASCAR fan, nor a fan of Waltrip. But, I will say this. If I toiled a whole career in a racing series, only to win two races, I'd hope that they're wins in the "marquee" event of the series, at least. Mikey's got that going for him.

Plus, now he's got more money than God.