PDA

View Full Version : Another new ChampCar slot car from Ninco

theunions
09-06-04, 07:51 PM
http://www.swatonraceway.co.uk/images/w_50341.jpg

Wrong shade of yellow though, and the rear wing is still improperly mounted.

And when is Ninco going to produce a car whose driver and/or sponsor doesn't cater to Spanish speakers?

Phantom
09-06-04, 10:33 PM
Wow!

At least have to give them credit for actually MAKING Champ Cars. Will have to add this to my Moreno, Jourdain and Dominguez collection. Still haven't seen the Visteon and Telefonica at my local race shop.

I sure wish they'd make a "white" Lola like they did for the Dallara. Then we'd really hae some fun!

theunions
09-07-04, 06:57 AM
Wow!

At least have to give them credit for actually MAKING Champ Cars. Will have to add this to my Moreno, Jourdain and Dominguez collection. Still haven't seen the Visteon and Telefonica at my local race shop.

I sure wish they'd make a "white" Lola like they did for the Dallara. Then we'd really hae some fun!

The Visteon Lola is out and available through British retailers, but I'm not sure about Stateside at this time. I also cannot verify if they've gotten rid of the grooved front tires shown in the prototype.

Does SCX have a history for making "white" cars? If not, what would it take to make the orange portion of the Visteon car white? Would either lacquer thinner or regular mineral spirits work (I'm assuming the bodywork is molded white plastic)?

Someone needs to explain the relationship between SCX and Scalextric to me. While researching this stuff yesterday, I found that there's a pair of new Dallara Nissan World Series slot cars that have been newly released (or will be shortly) - the box artwork says Scalextric, but the logo matches that of SCX, and some websites refer to these two cars as SCX. Curiously, it's said these two are being sold ONLY to the Spanish market...

pchall
09-07-04, 10:52 AM
Wow, how slot cars have changed since I was active at the local commercial track and various basement clubs. In 1/24, 1/32, and even HO we were making our own chassis out of K&S brass tubing and sheet and cobbling in Eldon, Strombecker, Tyco and Aurora engines and drive trains. Oscar Koveleski (#54 towards the back of most Can Am fields) was a demi-god since his Autoworld catalog was about the only source for all the good bits. The large scale guys were still using the bodies from Revell and Monogram kits and carefully thinning the plastic with Dremel. The HO guys were carving pinewood bucks and pulling bodies on Vacuforms just to get a decent CanAm or prototype body to race. To mimic great race tracks guys would build up the track shape in the area they had out of basswood and carefully routing the two and four wide slots. Suzuka was a favorite because the crossover provided something closer to equal length laps.

Today it seems like everything is gorgeous and ready to race. But somehow I think that having to draw the chassis in pencil on a piece of ply and hammering short wire nails in along the inside and outside to set the shape of the frame tubes before silver soldering the the brass tubing and sheet was a lot more fun. :)

attenuator <--- member of les anciens slotcar pilotes ;)

theunions
09-07-04, 01:20 PM
I don't race them, never have and probably never will (not even remotely enough room for a track for starters). I just need an alternate venue for donor kits/parts for those cars that model kit manufacturers steadfastly refuse to manufacture, and I'm not as good at converting metal diecasts as Phantom is. ;) That's why I'd also be very interested in a "white" SCX Lola (much less so a "white" Ninco Reynard, thanks to my supply of Revell Reynard styrene kits). As for scratchbuilding them from the ground up, well, I have more than enough stockpiled styrene kits I don't need to do that to/resin kits that require too much scratchbuilding for that to interest me. I'd rather just worry about the decals. :)

theunions
09-07-04, 01:30 PM
Here's another angle:

http://www.slotcarworld.com/Ninco50341.jpg

The front wing and winglet styling is correct for the '03 Reynard as shown...but not so for the '00 Servia Telefonica Reynard which uses the same tooling.

Phantom
09-07-04, 09:18 PM
Ninco is a Spanish company (headquartered in Barcelona) so that somewhat explains their fascination with all drivers - Spanish speaking (Jourdain, Domingues, Servia, Lavign).

I have a 10 foot x 14 foot replica of Road America in 1/32 scale in my hobby room. I'll be looking forward to adding more Champ Cars to the paddock.

Don't really know the difference between SCX and Scalextric. I have a few of each. The Scalextric Sport are by far the best open wheel cars out there, but the NINCO's are a close second.

Dr. Corkski
09-08-04, 03:40 AM
Ninco is a Spanish company (headquartered in Barcelona) so that somewhat explains their fascination with all drivers - Spanish speaking (Jourdain, Domingues, Servia, Lavign).I thought Avril Lavigne is Canadian? ;)

She would probably make a better Champ Car driver than corona boy, but I don't think she speaks any Spanish or has any connections to Modelo. Despite the rear wing issue these Ninco cars are far better than those 4 year old molds that Action has been using.

JT265
09-08-04, 07:50 AM
I thought Avril Lavigne is Canadian? ;)

Thanks. So, what have you got against my country anyway?

:D